ssica_molanay

Question about assets Please some advice !!!!

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am hoping someone can answer this for me please i have read the guides and they don't tell me anything about my situation i made a similar post about this in a different room but no replys and i'm really worried cus i don't have anyone else who could co sponsor. Ok this is my ask I know i don't make enough to sponsor my husband i am about 1500 short but i a have just a few assets one a car worth about 2500 and i really want to know if this is a asset or not i have a profit sharing program at my work right now i have 24,000 in it i have be there 4 years and am what they call vested so 14,000 of it is mine.but its not like i can just take i have to ask and my work has to say ok unless i quit then i get it.Can i use this as an asset? One more possibility i have is my sister who leaves with me her income is 12,000 a year and would put us within the 125% poverty level for a family of 6 her income is from social security disability so there is not past taxes for her. I just don't know how i should go about this this form i read the guide and the form just so unsure of how to state my financial situation our combined income is enough so how do i add my sister as part of my household income she does show as a dependent on my taxes for the past two years her income just started in nov 2005 ? Can anyone give some advice i would so appreciate it so much Thank You

jesssig.gif

ticker.png

morocco.gifusa.gif

* Met Jamal 5-19-05

* First visit to Morocco 10-1-05

* Second visit to Morocco 2-20-06

* Mailed I-129F 5-18-06

* NOA1 06-1-06

* Touched 06-10-06

* RFE 06-19-06

* Touched 06-21-06

* RFE recived in mail and overnited back 06/24/06

* Touched 06-27-06

* Approved 07-06-06!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* NVC recieved case 07-10-06

* NVC sent case to Casa 07-12-06

* Casa recived case 07-19-06

* Packet 3 recived by Jamal 07-17-06

* INTERVIEW SCHDULED 08-22-06!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* interview success recieved call to pick up visa 09-05-06

* Entered USA 09-15-06

* Married 10-24-06

* Sent in AOS and EAD 02-02-07

* NOA1 for both recieved 02-09-07

* Welcome to the United States letter recived 04-06-07

* Permenet Residency Card recived 04-23-07 WOW !!!!

I don't know the answer, but I do have some suggestions. You could call USCIS. The USCIS customer service number is: 800 375 5283.

You may be able to get your sister to be your co-sponsor if you have no one else. Hopefully, someone on here may be able to give you a better answer.

Good luck in your search.

John

Russian Fiancee - Moscow Embassy

1/27/06 Mailed I-129F to TSC and forwarded to CSC for K-1 & K-2 Visa

2/1/06 CSC received I-129F

2/7/06 Received NOA1 TSC

4/14/06 I-129F Approved

4/25/06 Received NOA2 TSC

5/12/06 Received at NVC

5/18/06 Mailed to US Embassy, Moscow

8/9/06 Physical Exams for K-1 & K-2

8/11/06 Interview Scheduled

8/11/06 VISA APPROVED

8/17/06 Visa Received

9/12/06 Flight from SVO

12/09/06 MARRIED

2/16/07 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP

3/15/07 Biometrics scheduled (Had to Re-schedule)

3/22/07 Biometrics completed for K-1 & K-2

4/11/07 Received phone call from USCIS, Interview Scheduled, FBI check completed

4/16/07 AOS Interview, passed pending I-693A

4/16/07 Civil Surgeon completed I-693A, I-693A submitted to USCIS office

4/18/07 Notice mailed welcoming New Permanent Resident

4/19/07 Card production ordered for K-1 & K-2

4/25/07 2 Year Green Card Received dated 4/17/07

1/21/09 Mailed I-751 to VSC for K-1 & K-2

1/24/09 VSC Received I-751

1/31/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Wife

2/20/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Wife, Appt 3/2/09 Completed

2/20/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Step-daughter

2/24/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Step-daughter Appt 3/10/09 Completed

3/2/09 Mailed Wife's Passport to Houston for Renewal - Received 6/5/09

9/15/09 Interview at New Orleans Field Office

1/19/10 Eligible to file N-400 for Citizenship

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/Graphics/Formsfee/Forms/i-864a.htm

You could have her file the I-864a so long as she has lived in your household for the past 6 months. Someone will come along to correct me if I am wrong. I just saw a post recently on using disability income as income towards sponsorship, think this one will maybe help. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...wtopic=17705&hl=

B

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
i a have just a few assets one a car worth about 2500 and i really want to know if this is a asset or not i have a profit sharing program at my work right now i have 24,000 in it i have be there 4 years and am what they call vested so 14,000 of it is mine.but its not like i can just take i have to ask and my work has to say ok unless i quit then i get it.Can i use this as an asset?

I would start by reading here:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1328.html

The profit sharing does not appear to count but it would be smart to make sure you know the rules regarding your access to this money (is there anyway for you to borrow against it or have access to it before you leave your job?) and then confirm this with USCIS or an attorney to be sure. The car should count since the requirements include "personal assets". Also, you can consider any property or personal assets that your husband has per the rules below.

Hope this helps.

May the petitioner/sponsor count assets to meet the 125 percent minimum income requirement?

Yes. The sponsor counts his/her income first. Next he/she counts the personal assets and/or the income and assets of household members who have signed an I-864A. If, using all of those sources, the minimum income requirement is met, the affidavit would be "sufficient."

To be counted, the cash value of assets must equal five times the difference between the sponsor's income and 125 percent of the poverty line for the household size.

For example, a petitioner/sponsor with a household size of four and an income of $18,000 would need assets equal to five times the difference between his/her income and the income required for a family of four at the current federal poverty guidelines level. He/she would also need to show evidence of mortgages, liens, and liabilities against the assets.

What can be used as assets?

Assets can be savings, stocks, bonds and property. They must be easily converted to cash.

Can the immigrant visa applicant count assets that he or she owns that are outside the United States, such as real estate or personal property?

Yes, under these conditions:

The assets must be readily convertible to cash within 12 months

The applicant must show that he/she can take the money or assets out of the country where they are located. Many countries have strict regulations which limit the amount of cash or liquid assets that can be taken out of the country

The assets equal at least five times the difference between the sponsor's income and 125 percent of the poverty line for the household size.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Why are you petitioning a K-1 for your "husband"? Please read this thread and its mate carefully: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...topic=15688&hl=

If your beneficiary is applying for a K visa, the "household member" and "joint sponsor" and "assets" information discussed here does not apply; that is a discussion of the I-864 which is for Immigrant Visas.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Timeline
Why are you petitioning a K-1 for your "husband"? Please read this thread and its mate carefully: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...topic=15688&hl=

If your beneficiary is applying for a K visa, the "household member" and "joint sponsor" and "assets" information discussed here does not apply; that is a discussion of the I-864 which is for Immigrant Visas.

Gosh, I wonder if this is another "goldenheart" issue? Let's hope the OP pays attention to the correct immigration terminology for a fiancé.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

sorry let me clarify we have had no formal wedding but i am very used to calling him my husband sorry for the confusion. thank you everyone for your help. would they conceder mine and my sisters income as combined income since we leave together she has been with me two years now

jesssig.gif

ticker.png

morocco.gifusa.gif

* Met Jamal 5-19-05

* Mailed I-129F 5-18-06

* NOA1 06-1-06

* Touched 06-10-06

* RFE 06-19-06

* Touched 06-21-06

* Touched 06-27-06

* Entered USA 09-15-06

* Married 10-24-06

sorry let me clarify we have had no formal wedding but i am very used to calling him my husband sorry for the confusion. thank you everyone for your help. would they conceder mine and my sisters income as combined income since we leave together she has been with me two years now

Not to stir the pot, but as a precaution, you might want to do a search on VJ for goldenheart. Referring to your fiancé as a husband can sometimes be problematic. Best to get into a new habit, until he's here. :)

"diaddie mermaid"

Timeline

DM, that's the link I gave her.

OP, I don't know what to say about your financial situation. I know your consulate is known for being quite strict about everything. I don't know how they would view you using your sisters disability money to support your husband.

I also don't know how it would go down with the AOS interview.

Have you thought abouit getting a new, or second job?

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

DM, that's the link I gave her.

OP, I don't know what to say about your financial situation. I know your consulate is known for being quite strict about everything. I don't know how they would view you using your sisters disability money to support your husband.

I also don't know how it would go down with the AOS interview.

Have you thought abouit getting a new, or second job?

Yup, it was. And I was being lazy and didn't click it first. Sorry for that :blush: All the same, it's probably just as well that the point was underscored. :)

I am hoping someone can answer this for me please i have read the guides and they don't tell me anything about my situation i made a similar post about this in a different room but no replys and i'm really worried cus i don't have anyone else who could co sponsor. Ok this is my ask I know i don't make enough to sponsor my husband i am about 1500 short but i a have just a few assets one a car worth about 2500 and i really want to know if this is a asset or not i have a profit sharing program at my work right now i have 24,000 in it i have be there 4 years and am what they call vested so 14,000 of it is mine.but its not like i can just take i have to ask and my work has to say ok unless i quit then i get it.Can i use this as an asset? One more possibility i have is my sister who leaves with me her income is 12,000 a year and would put us within the 125% poverty level for a family of 6 her income is from social security disability so there is not past taxes for her. I just don't know how i should go about this this form i read the guide and the form just so unsure of how to state my financial situation our combined income is enough so how do i add my sister as part of my household income she does show as a dependent on my taxes for the past two years her income just started in nov 2005 ? Can anyone give some advice i would so appreciate it so much Thank You

So, without sis, the household + sponsored immigrant is 5? Is there anyone else in the household that is contributing income? Are the rest your children, or are you residing with immediate relatives?

"diaddie mermaid"

Timeline

we would be five with my "fiancé" see i did well there. in the household there is just me my three girls they are 8,7 and 5 i am the supporting person in this household. i have been with this job almost 5 years so i think that shows im stable with my work and i love my job and to get a second well that would pay for the babysitter to watch them while i work i guess. my sister is completly disabled and unable to live alone so we are a concidered a family unit when it comes to everything else i have to count her income so i was thinking it would be the same

Edited by ssica_molanay

jesssig.gif

ticker.png

morocco.gifusa.gif

* Met Jamal 5-19-05

* Mailed I-129F 5-18-06

* NOA1 06-1-06

* Touched 06-10-06

* RFE 06-19-06

* Touched 06-21-06

* Touched 06-27-06

* Entered USA 09-15-06

* Married 10-24-06

Timeline

Gosh, I wonder if this is another "goldenheart" issue? Let's hope the OP pays attention to the correct immigration terminology for a fiancé.

I have never heard that term "goldenheart" but will definitly see what its about. I do be believe a fiance is someone your engaged to but not yet married correct? just want to make sure that i got that one right.Can anyone tell me what OP stands for when its referring to me. When i found this site i was so happy and grateful its here this is the first time i have had a need for more information like this cus i know nothing till i learn so i am thankful for all of your help and forgive me if some of my terminology was incorrect. I am sure many of you can relate to the husband/fiance thing maybe not i dont know all we are waiting for is the stupid paper with our names becides that we are in everyway very much husband and wife but i do get where it could be a problem and again thank you for bringing that to my attention. JUst be patient with me im still a newbie to all this and again thanks for you advices

jesssig.gif

ticker.png

morocco.gifusa.gif

* Met Jamal 5-19-05

* Mailed I-129F 5-18-06

* NOA1 06-1-06

* Touched 06-10-06

* RFE 06-19-06

* Touched 06-21-06

* Touched 06-27-06

* Entered USA 09-15-06

* Married 10-24-06

Timeline

ok i get the goldenheart reference and we fully understand that in no way are we leagaly married and never would i state that to any uscis person allways i referre to him as my fiance.

jesssig.gif

ticker.png

morocco.gifusa.gif

* Met Jamal 5-19-05

* Mailed I-129F 5-18-06

* NOA1 06-1-06

* Touched 06-10-06

* RFE 06-19-06

* Touched 06-21-06

* Touched 06-27-06

* Entered USA 09-15-06

* Married 10-24-06

ok i get the goldenheart reference and we fully understand that in no way are we leagaly married and never would i state that to any uscis person allways i referre to him as my fiance.

Ok, good. Meauxna and I, evidently, were both thinking the same thing. Just a heads-up on how one little word used in the wrong place can cause some big issues. Whatever you feel in your heart and say in private to each other is OK, but when dealing with the bureaucratic machine remember the immigration terminology.

OP = original poster

"diaddie mermaid"

Timeline

Good deal, Jess. Just make sure *he* understands the issue. Please use the search function to find goldenheart's own thread with the same topic name for more good information on her case.

I'm sorry that there's nothing more to add on the income situation. You can only work with what you have and explain your stituation as best as possible. If the Consular Officer/CO doesn't like it, you will have a chance at that time to give them more evidence.

If you choose to use a joint sponsor, remember that that person's income only needs to cover their own houshold + your fiance (not you+kids). This may make it more achievable for some of your friends?

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.