longdistance

Newbie Here Having Question on K1 BEFORE FILING

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone I am new in this forum.I have found this forum very informative and supportive so there I am here to find out what would the answer to my questions.

I met someone on internet and we became friend online. Then after a year or so talking to each other he invited me for a visit in the US. So then I went to US for a holiday on B2 visa , stayed there for 2 weeks ,altough I was given more than two weeks validity visa. After 2 weeks , I returned to my home country before the visa expired. No problem at all, I was doing exactly what I suppose to be doing.

Now I meet my Fiance and he is going to file the K1 visa for me.

My question is:

Will my situation create a problem when it comes to the past visa or immigration history on the background check ? Considering that I was invited by other person to visit US and now that is my Fiance who filed the K1 petition for me?

We need to know what would be the naswer to my question here before my Fiance go forward to file the K1 petition.

Thank you everybody I need your advice. Anyone who ever been into this situation like I just decribe now.

Thank you guys!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

As long as you followed the rules and your trip to usa was clear without any troubles you should have no problems with the K1 visa, its completely different situation so go ahead and have no worries.

Good luck :)

as1cE_-0g410010MDA0NDZzfDAwMDY4NTBzfE1hcnJpZWQgZm9y.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Welcome to VJ.

As long as you have met your fiance in person within the last two years you're fine.

The meeting of your online friend and your B2 visa is irrelevant.

Good luck & remember to read the guides at the top of the page :star:

Our K1 Journey Timeline

06.00.1998 - Met Online

12.22.2008 - I-129F received by VSC

12.22.2008 - NOA1 issued

04.08.2009 - NOA2 in 107 days - Igors List #174

04.14.2009 - NVC sent to Consulate in South Africa

04.29.2009 - Consulate received

05.04.2009 - Packet #3 received

05.08.2009 - Packet #4 received

05.14.2009 - Medical - Passed

06.22.2009 - Interview - APPROVED

06.29.2009 - Visa in hand

08.06.2009 - POE - Boston

08.22.2009 - Returned to South Africa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi everyone I am new in this forum.I have found this forum very informative and supportive so there I am here to find out what would the answer to my questions.

I met someone on internet and we became friend online. Then after a year or so talking to each other he invited me for a visit in the US. So then I went to US for a holiday on B2 visa , stayed there for 2 weeks ,altough I was given more than two weeks validity visa. After 2 weeks , I returned to my home country before the visa expired. No problem at all, I was doing exactly what I suppose to be doing.

Now I meet my Fiance and he is going to file the K1 visa for me.

My question is:

Will my situation create a problem when it comes to the past visa or immigration history on the background check ? Considering that I was invited by other person to visit US and now that is my Fiance who filed the K1 petition for me?

We need to know what would be the naswer to my question here before my Fiance go forward to file the K1 petition.

Thank you everybody I need your advice. Anyone who ever been into this situation like I just decribe now.

Thank you guys!!!

No problem, they do not care that you were meeting with someone else before, as long as there is no criminal history, they do not do a "romantic" background check. On the forms, any place it asks, you need to list that you were here before on a visa, that is all. "Visited US on B-2 visa.....(dates)" That is all.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

As long as you followed the rules and your trip to usa was clear without any troubles you should have no problems with the K1 visa, its completely different situation so go ahead and have no worries.

BL2B-Yes I met my Fiance within this last 2 year. Meeting my online friend was couple years before I met my Fiance.

So I I think you are right ! Thank you for your advice.

Garry and Alla- No criminal history-nothing. So I will need to put the date of my visit in the US before? I saw on the I-129F form there is a section where they asked if "fiance(e) ever been to US before"..should I also include the date on that form?

(I will need to learn and search a lot on how to file the K1 though)

Dani^Chris Perry-Yes I followed the rules and never make any troubles during my visit.

Thank you for your advice!

Though the only hassle I had when visiting USA was at the airport. I was brought to a separate room and the immigration guy went thru my carry on bags and asking me questions, also checked my ticket which was a round trip ticket (of course-and though I felt a bit upset with all these because I was not lie nor doing something bad at all)

But after all the checking and questions, he handed back my ticket and passport and told me : "Have a nice holiday in America".. and then let me get through.

I am not sure why did they do that because they never told me why. But anyway...this also come into thougths if this would have any affect to the K1 visa my Fiance is going to file?

Thank you everyone I do appreciate your input and advice. !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

doesn't seem like problems to me. as for my fiance, he's been to the U.S. many many times on a work visa due to the nature of his job. He still travels to U.S. for certain events and so forth. This is only better for immigration I think bc its proven to them that you are not looking to come to U.S. for the sake of immigrating here.. rather you met someone and really want to start a life here with him/her.

Timeline:

2/18/2009: Mailed I-129F Form

2/20/2009: NOA 1 Receipt Date

3/20/2009: NOA 2 Notice Approval Date

05/28/2009: Interview APPROVED

7/22/2009 --POE (LAX)-- We are together forever <3

AOS Journey Begins Here ^------^

7/28/2009 -- Applied for SSN & Registered for Marriage License

8/3/2009 -- Civil Ceremony

8/5/2009 -- Received Marriage Certificate via Express Mail. Pass DMV Written Exam & Received Permit

08/11/2009-- Mailed AOS to Chicago, IL

08/17/2009 -- Check clears $1010 USCIS

8/20/2009- Touched ^---^

8/21/2009-- NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765 Hard Copy

08/29/2009-- Received Biometrics Appointment Letter in the mail, dated 08/26

09/03/2009 -- Early Walk In Biometrics Appt (Original Date 09/23)

09/04/2009 -- Touched ^---^

09/29/2009 -- EAD Card Production

10/07/2009 -- EAD Card Received

10/16/2009 AOS I-485 Interview in Los Angeles(APPROVED)

10/28/2009 -- GC in HAND <3

Garry and Alla- No criminal history-nothing. So I will need to put the date of my visit in the US before? I saw on the I-129F form there is a section where they asked if "fiance(e) ever been to US before"..should I also include the date on that form?

You do not need to put a date unless you are still in the US during the time of filing. (Section 12)

Though the only hassle I had when visiting USA was at the airport. I was brought to a separate room and the immigration guy went thru my carry on bags and asking me questions, also checked my ticket which was a round trip ticket (of course-and though I felt a bit upset with all these because I was not lie nor doing something bad at all)

But after all the checking and questions, he handed back my ticket and passport and told me : "Have a nice holiday in America".. and then let me get through.

They do this because there is a lot of immigration fraud, and that paticular port probably had some try to slip in.

They checked your baggage for documents that you would need to AOS. If your a visitor, you normally do not travel with your divorce papers/birth certs, etc...

They look for "strong ties" back to your country, so a return ticket is used mostly.

Nothing personal, just doing their job!

I am not sure why did they do that because they never told me why. But anyway...this also come into thougths if this would have any affect to the K1 visa my Fiance is going to file?

Will not effect it at all, since they didn't find anything wrong. If they did, you would of been rejected at the POE, and something stamped in your passport, so no worries!

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

You're OK. As to the treatment you had on entering the U.S. before, that is customary and a matter of security. Don't take it personally.

You do not need to put a date unless you are still in the US during the time of filing. (Section 12)

They do this because there is a lot of immigration fraud, and that paticular port probably had some try to slip in.

They checked your baggage for documents that you would need to AOS. If your a visitor, you normally do not travel with your divorce papers/birth certs, etc...

They look for "strong ties" back to your country, so a return ticket is used mostly.

Nothing personal, just doing their job!

Will not effect it at all, since they didn't find anything wrong. If they did, you would of been rejected at the POE, and something stamped in your passport, so no worries!

Thank you very much for your answer/advise. We are going to go forward on the petition. This site has been a great help and you guys are very helpfull .Thanks so much everyone! i wish everyone best of luck on every visa journey!! God bless all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.