anka

Surname question

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
Are you suggesting that you take "Vladimir Igorevich Ivanov" and turn him into Walter George Johnson? :P

It was done when being from Eastern Europe was considered something to be ashamed of. I don't really think we should go back to that.

Yeah, but taking the "a" form of a Russian name is, in effect, creating a whole new name here in the U.S. In Russia, everyone knows Smirnova is just like Smirnov but a woman. Here in the U.S., "it's weird that your name is different than your husband's."

What's a girl to do?

It's one thing to decide to be Anna Smirnov instead of Smirnova, but it's a whole different thing to decide to become Mr. and Mrs. Smith. :)

Первый блин комом.

It's one thing to decide to be Anna Smirnov instead of Smirnova, but it's a whole different thing to decide to become Mr. and Mrs. Smith. :)

Not in the eyes of the U.S. government. (In some places.) If you're taking on Smirnova instead of Smirnov, that's a completely different name. Might as well be Smith for all intents and purposes.

As mox said several posts ago, check your local laws on the legality of name changes.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Not in the eyes of the U.S. government. (In some places.) If you're taking on Smirnova instead of Smirnov, that's a completely different name. Might as well be Smith for all intents and purposes.

As mox said several posts ago, check your local laws on the legality of name changes.

I wasn't talking about the legality.

Первый блин комом.

• 3 months later...

Although a little late in the game to be replying to everyone who so kindly answered my question over 3 months ago, I just want to say thank you for all your advice and wisdom. I apologize for being absent from this thread. (ach, life!) :blush:

So, we were married on May 15. I opted to keep my name the way it is - for now - due to all the "complications" a declinable surname/proper noun seems to cause... :rolleyes: Plus, I feel like if I am going to change my name, it should be done traditionally correct.

I hope to change it in the near future, once I've further familiarized myself on how to go about doing this (state laws, etc. as Mox mentioned).

Thanks again everyone!

:star::star::star:

Edited by anka

As of:

June 26, 2012 - The Hubbs received his 10-year Permanent Residency Card (aka THE Greencard) in the mail today!

At long last, this highly stressful leg of our journey has come to a close - for now - and we couldn't be more grateful and appreciative for all the tremendous help and support here on VJ! Without VisaJourney I doubt we would be where my husband and I are today! Thanks to all!

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Good to see you back. Happy Wedding!

February 3, 2005. Applied for K-1.

July 14, 2005. Email to NVC congressional unit

Nov 2, 2005. Letter to congressman

Nov 8, 2005. Letter from congressman

December 19, 2005. Visa interview in Moscow. (250 days at NVC)

January 27, 2006. POE: JFK.

April 8, 2006. Wedding in USA.

April 19, 2006. Apply for AOS.

July 12, 2006. AOS Interview.

February 26, 2008. Letter to congresswoman.

March 19, 2008. Conditional Permanent residence began!!

2009: Wake up and get on the uscis train again - lifting conditions

Dec 21, 2009. Eligible to apply to remove conditions

February 2010: 10-yr Green Card Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My Russian wife kept her surname, which is fine with me. I love her regal name.

We had some address labels printed with little characatures of us and our 4 pets. And the heading on the label reads "The Talley-Romanova Zoo"

We sent one package with the label on it to Svetlana's mother in the Ukraine, who does not know any English. So without knowing what she was writing, she addressed her next letter to her daughter to "Talley-Romanova Zoo."

Welcome back Anka, and congratulations!!

Thank you!

:star:(F)(F)(F)

As of:

June 26, 2012 - The Hubbs received his 10-year Permanent Residency Card (aka THE Greencard) in the mail today!

At long last, this highly stressful leg of our journey has come to a close - for now - and we couldn't be more grateful and appreciative for all the tremendous help and support here on VJ! Without VisaJourney I doubt we would be where my husband and I are today! Thanks to all!

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
My wife came here and changed her name to mine. Now, she's wanting to change it back. She's said that since she took on my surname it doesn't suit her well and it's changed her luck in life.

I agree, with a last name of "Slim-a", I might want to change it also :devil:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
My wife came here and changed her name to mine. Now, she's wanting to change it back. She's said that since she took on my surname it doesn't suit her well and it's changed her luck in life.

I agree, with a last name of "Slim-a", I might want to change it also :devil:

Actually it's Slimanova. Pronounced Sleem-eh-noba. I agree, sounds too Latin. Change it !!! :lol:

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

It's the "slim" part that's messing her up. She doesn't want to be associated with me at all!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

It's the "slim" part that's messing her up. She doesn't want to be associated with me at all!

Understandably I dont think its a very descriptive name, it would be like me naming myself Hairy, its just not true and a bit deceptive. hehehe

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.