anka

Surname question

27 posts in this topic

Hey guys...

So, this will be one of the dumber, perhaps less drastic questions on here but I have been wondering this forever and so now will finally ask for answers, erm, guidance!

When my fiance (a Russian male, obviously) and I marry, what do I do about the surname??? I mean, I am all about taking his name and making my father's name my maiden name. Woot! And no hyphentated, confusing things either! In Russia/n I would be Smirnova since he's Smirnov, but here in the USA those are two completely separate names, despite one extra letter. This would not be recognized as the same name, right? Somehow I think not...

I mean, Smirnov would be kinda bearable but when we go to Russia, it would be a little silly and I'd even giggle at myself for being legally named Anna Smirnova Smirnov in my passport/visa/ID.

So, for all you women who've married Russians/Belorussians/Etc., what did you do with you surname? If you took his name, is "-a"/feminine ending? Or without? What do you think is the best option (for me)? Complications? Any complication stories to add??? Of course, any advice is fantastic!!!!

Thanks so much!

Anna :star:

As of:

June 26, 2012 - The Hubbs received his 10-year Permanent Residency Card (aka THE Greencard) in the mail today!

At long last, this highly stressful leg of our journey has come to a close - for now - and we couldn't be more grateful and appreciative for all the tremendous help and support here on VJ! Without VisaJourney I doubt we would be where my husband and I are today! Thanks to all!

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I kept my maiden name and never changed it. For one, I have degrees in my name, I dont want the mess of changing names with SS, ID's, passports, all that drama. He had no issue with it, so I left it.

Everytime I say I'm married, they think my husbands last name is mine... and they think something is wrong when its not. Annoying a bit, but got used to it. Most Russians when they hear my name differing from husbands, give me a dirty look, like something isnt legit. But it is, and I dont care of their old way of thinking.

My MIL has her maiden name, with a hyphen and husbands last name. I hate when people do this, so I didn't.

We didnt have a problem anywhere with USCIS due to me leaving it.

Now about your feminine version of the last name, I say do it. Let it be Smirnova, most will know its the same name. Other nationalities also have this variation. The only tiny problem I see with this is, that if people see your husbands name first, they may think your "a" at the end is a typo and leave it off future stuff. So be cautious to correct, or get used to seeing it both ways.

A woman is like a tea bag: she does not know how strong she is until she is in hot water.

- Nancy Reagan

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I decided to take my husband's name, without the feminine ending. Actually, it is pretty close to your future husband's last name, S***ov! I'm thinking people will have a lot easier time pronouncing your husband's surname, for obvious reasons, than my new surname!

We talked about this decision for awhile, too. My former surname was really simple, but I wanted to share everything with my husband, including his name. I also wanted to cut as many ties with the past (former surname included) as possible. That's a different story :) Of course, my son wants to change his name too, but I want to give him some time to make sure he doesn't change his mind before it's too late. We decided since we will live in the US (for the time being), that it wouldn't make sense to add a feminine ending, and if we ever live in Russia, that ending would probably change according to custom. Let us know what you decide!

I-129F Sent : 2007-10-11

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-10-22

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-02-04

Interview Date : 2008-04-24

Visa Received : 2008-04-29

US Entry : 2008-05-24

Marriage : 2008-06-21

AOS Filed : 2008-07-24

NOA Date : 2008-07-28

RFE(s) : 2008-09-09

Bio. Appt. : 2008-09-10

AOS Interview: 2009-04-07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The solution is to find a Russian fiance whose name does not decline. Like mine, but that's because the origin of the last name is not Russian :) When you have a non-declining Russian name; both partners keep the same name by the way.

Timeline
i've asked my fiance about this before. i don't think you use the 'a' feminine ending. it'll be just 'smirnov.'

Why not?

If it helps any, the girls I know who immigrated as children kept the feminine endings to their name, as did their mothers, despite the fact that their fathers/brothers would have a different name.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I know 2 women who took their Russian husband's surname and have an "a" on the end.

I have kept my maiden name as my husband begged me to, due to his perception of the the inconvenience to change documents (I honestly haven't any clue how one changes their surname!) and the sound of his own surname, which he thinks is hard for people here to say/spell. We are still mulling it all over though!

February 3, 2005. Applied for K-1.

July 14, 2005. Email to NVC congressional unit

Nov 2, 2005. Letter to congressman

Nov 8, 2005. Letter from congressman

December 19, 2005. Visa interview in Moscow. (250 days at NVC)

January 27, 2006. POE: JFK.

April 8, 2006. Wedding in USA.

April 19, 2006. Apply for AOS.

July 12, 2006. AOS Interview.

February 26, 2008. Letter to congresswoman.

March 19, 2008. Conditional Permanent residence began!!

2009: Wake up and get on the uscis train again - lifting conditions

Dec 21, 2009. Eligible to apply to remove conditions

February 2010: 10-yr Green Card Received

i've asked my fiance about this before. i don't think you use the 'a' feminine ending. it'll be just 'smirnov.'

Why not?

If it helps any, the girls I know who immigrated as children kept the feminine endings to their name, as did their mothers, despite the fact that their fathers/brothers would have a different name.

idk- he said if we were in belarus it would end with an 'a.' here- it won't. apparently it's a personal choice of keeping russian traditions or accepting american norms.

Filed: Timeline

If you want to decline your name with his name, you might have to go through a name change in court, depending on your state's rules. For example, in Colorado you can change your name, or he can change his name, or you can hyphenate his or your name (or both), but you can't create a 'new' name. So in Colorado at least they won't let you take his name with an 'a' appended. To do that you'd have to file to have your name changed. Other states will have their own rules, but I'm guessing most states operate in roughly the same way.

It really depends on where you think you'll be spending most of your time. My husband and I plan to live in the U.S. (and possibly Europe someday in the future), so I decided to take his surname without the a. I could, of course, take the a, but for me it's not worth it to go through the hassle of explaining millions and millions of times why our last names are different but the same. If we planned to live in Russia, I would definitely take the a. However, I think that whenever we go to Russia to visit, I could add the a on for anything except official documents. For example, obviously my visa will not have my name spelled with an a, but if I open a discount card at a store or sign up for a class or something like that, I could always add the a on there.

June 2002 we met at a mutual friend's birthday party

August 2003 we started dating

August 2006 engaged

July 20, 2008 ZAGS wedding in Moscow

May 18, 2008 church wedding in NY

June 16, 2008 we returned to Moscow for one last year

December 1, 2008 filed the I-130 through DCF at the Embassy in Moscow!

January 13, 2009 called the consulate and found out that I-130 was approved on December 22!! But still waiting for the letter in the mail

January 20, 2009 received an e-mail from the consulate that the interview is scheduled for Feb. 20th at 8AM!

January 24, 2009 received packets 3 & 4 and confirmation letter in the mail!

February 12, 2009 medical passed!

February 20, 2009 interview scheduled, but had to reschedule due to a wounded finger

March 6, 2009 new interview date---passed!!!

March 12, 2009 visa received

August 9, 2009 he arrived! (through JFK) Received IR-1 and now we're done for another three years!

August 31, 2009 permanent green card arrived

July 16, 2012 sent in N-400 for U.S. citizenship

July 23, 2012 NOA

August 10, 2012 biometrics appt.

October 5, 2012 citizenship interview (approved!)

December 7, 2012 oath ceremony. We're done!

My wife came here and changed her name to mine. Now, she's wanting to change it back. She's said that since she took on my surname it doesn't suit her well and it's changed her luck in life. I asked her what would happen if we went to Russia and I had to change my name to a Russian name. Would I change it to hers? (Really to her father's?) I know I'd never change my surname but I have contemplated what we'd name the (hypothetical) kids if we were in Russia while they were born.

The nice thing about Russian/American is you can keep your own name and it's really not a big deal.

What I would suggest for the OP is to change your name to the "a" form of his name. If you were getting married to an American man, you'd take his name, right? Well, since your fiance is Russian, shouldn't you do it "Russian style" and change your name to the feminine form of his? If you're going to be traditional, do it all the way!

Who cares how many ignoramous-Americani ask you why your name is kind of like his but different.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
The solution is to find a Russian fiance whose name does not decline. Like mine, but that's because the origin of the last name is not Russian :) When you have a non-declining Russian name; both partners keep the same name by the

I agree - this is easiest... My wife has an in-declinable last name too. Further complicating things, I never know how to address letters (normally names delcine to the dative case).

I don't think it matters much at all, since Russians tend to use NAME + PATRYNOMIC in formal situations far more than a last/family name.

I would add the "a" to the name, as it would sound funny otherwise.

Best solution is probably have your husband change his name to something more "American," and then use that yourself too (or pick something Russian that doesn't decline for simplicity).

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline
The solution is to find a Russian fiance whose name does not decline. Like mine, but that's because the origin of the last name is not Russian :) When you have a non-declining Russian name; both partners keep the same name by the

I agree - this is easiest... My wife has an in-declinable last name too. Further complicating things, I never know how to address letters (normally names delcine to the dative case).

I don't think it matters much at all, since Russians tend to use NAME + PATRYNOMIC in formal situations far more than a last/family name.

I would add the "a" to the name, as it would sound funny otherwise.

Best solution is probably have your husband change his name to something more "American," and then use that yourself too (or pick something Russian that doesn't decline for simplicity).

I think that it's really sad when names are Americanized, and it is very rarely done nowadays anyway. Are you suggesting that you take "Vladimir Igorevich Ivanov" and turn him into Walter George Johnson? :P

It was done when being from Eastern Europe was considered something to be ashamed of. I don't really think we should go back to that.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Are you suggesting that you take "Vladimir Igorevich Ivanov" and turn him into Walter George Johnson? :P

It was done when being from Eastern Europe was considered something to be ashamed of. I don't really think we should go back to that.

Yeah, but taking the "a" form of a Russian name is, in effect, creating a whole new name here in the U.S. In Russia, everyone knows Smirnova is just like Smirnov but a woman. Here in the U.S., "it's weird that your name is different than your husband's."

What's a girl to do?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.