shoshweetygaff

Younger Beneficiary - Older Petitioner

79 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well I wasn't expecting that. I was in Egypt in March and we went to the embassy and I actually talked to two men in the consulate, (a man named Chris Rich and another one named Terry but I don't know his last name). I explained to him our process and what we have been through for all this time, and Chris and Terry both assured me it's just about the process and not anything to do with age or discriminating against us.

I want to believe that is true.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

How do you think coutries get identified as high fraud? It's not because of some "feeling" on the part of COs ... it's from the level of specific findings of fraud. Don't you suppose that everyone that sponsored an immigrant and was subsequently tossed aside as soon as the greencard arrived thought that their relationship was valid and loving until they were slapped with the truth? They are considered high fraud countries because of the high incidence of actual fraud. You'll see stories here on VJ where the spouse takes off soon after arriving in the U.S. I don't wish anyone ill will, but some percentage will find too late that it wasn't about love at all.

So true! However, there are plenty of marriages that happen the 'normal' way in the USA where the marriage happens for fraudelent reasons (not for love) then the couples splits as after one partner decides they get what they want.

Life has risk.

And it's not the job of the consulate to weed those out. It is, however, the job of the consulate to weed them out when immigration is involved. The issue here isn't the viability of a marriage or depth of love, rather to determine if the marriage is solely for the purpose of bypassing alternative immigration requirements.

I wasn't really addressing consulates, I was just saying that, in general, you take a risk when you marry someone inside the US or outside the US. I thought we were talking about the OP's original message.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

I think it's a very complicated issue for certain consulates. Of course there are exceptions to every rule. So what should a consulate do when they see a case that has some red flags such as a large age difference? Such a sticky situation...

They conduct interviews and tailor their questions to the situation and see how the beneficiary reacts to them and the answers that they give. Some sail through -- others do not. I assume the difference is based on the evidence. I imagine they are keying on certain evidences/responses. I'm also sure that they wouldn't want to divulge the specific responses that they key in on -- otherwise they would begin to get a large number of rehearsed responses.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline

Well, I know my husband has pictures of me and the kids in his wallet. And his first response will be of genuine love, so I'm not worried about this. But I don't know if I should warn him before his interview, or just let him answer his normal way and normal responses, as I know he can do good. But if I tell him ahead of time, maybe he might get nervous and then not do as well.

The good thing about my husband, when we first met 2 years ago online, he spoke english, but not well. Now, he can speak better than most americans! So maybe they would notice this about him, and also, I have bought him so many clothes from USA, he dresses like American and stands out really from the other people in Alexandria.

I don't know what to expect, but I need a reality check. I'm thinking he's gonna interview on the 26th and then be here on the 30th. It doesn't happen that way?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Well, I know my husband has pictures of me and the kids in his wallet. And his first response will be of genuine love, so I'm not worried about this. But I don't know if I should warn him before his interview, or just let him answer his normal way and normal responses, as I know he can do good. But if I tell him ahead of time, maybe he might get nervous and then not do as well.

Unless CR-1/IR-1 interviews are completely different from the K interviews (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), he'll need a lot more than that. Did he get a packet from the embassy that asked him to bring certain things?

I don't know what to expect, but I need a reality check. I'm thinking he's gonna interview on the 26th and then be here on the 30th. It doesn't happen that way?

Ah, not that I know of. Most men from predominantly muslim countries will be on administrative review/administrative processing following their interviews. shonjaved is married to a man from Pakistan and they have been on AR for about 9 months following their interview. mianishqsrose was also married to a man from Pakistan and they were on AR/AP for 4 months following the interview. This might be a good question to ask in the CR-1/IR-1 subforum.

Don't plan anything until the visa actually is in his hands. Even if they say the visa is approved, don't buy any plane tickets or anything until it's in his passport.

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Well. A considerable age difference may certainly be one "red flag" to the consulate, but it is the total picture that they are supposed to look at.

Other red flags might be a considerable economic difference, or the beneficiary sending money to the petitioner, or a petioner's divorcing shortly before a petition for fiance/new spouse is filed... religious differences, little or no shared language.... there are all sorts of red flags.

You and your husband should be prepared to answer extensive questions on any of these, and more, if they pertain to your case.

Apart from that, even with a successful interview, I wouldn't really bet on the visa being issued the same day. Muslim males processing through Cairo (and most Middle Eastern/Muslim countries) often face extended Administrative Reviews, conducted after the interview. This usually involves name/security checks, and may take several months to complete. So be ready for that.

Insha'allah everything will go fine. Best of luck with your process ! Meanwhile, please join us in the Middle East/North Africa regional forum.... you will find lots of useful information, advice and support !

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

The only thing we got in the packet from the Embassy was the information about doing the medical exam. Nothing from the actual Cairo embassy. We are doing the I130 and have been married for 1 1/2 years now. We have been through the longest process I can see, from the NVC. Most of the wait was always about me sending information about my divorce (first one) and child support, and then the divorce from (second one) and child support on that. Ya I know, I have had ups and down in relationships. But all his originals were even sent to the NVC and original documents from me too. I was surprised after we sent all the affadavit and his forms to the NVC how fast it got approved to go to Cairo and interview date.

So tell me, where do you think I should go? What forum?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I've found the VJ Guides at the top of the page to be immensely helpful.

Here's what they say about the interview for CR-1/IR-1

Step-by-Step Guide on How to File an I-130 for Relative (spouse) Outside the US

On The day of your relatives (or spouses) interview, he/she must bring EVERY document listed above that applies to your case, and should be prepared for a long wait. There may be additional forms required. The interview appointment sheet will contain a list of everything you must bring. It will also tell you the payment amount due and the forms of payment accepted.

The interview can last for as littles as 10 minutes or up to an hour depending upon your specific case. You relative will take an oath under US law to tell the truth, and it is very important that your relative answer every question as truthfully as possible. In general, it is a good idea that your relative bring documentation to prove strong ties and a relationship with you, the petitioner. (i.e. phone bills, letters etc.) If the consulate officer approves your relative's immigrant visa application, your relative will be issued an immigrant visa that allows your relative to become a US permanent resident. Your relative will become a U.S permanent resident only when he/she enters the U.S at a port of entry, until this time, he/she only has an immigrant visa that is valid up to 6 months from the interview date. If your relative cannot immigrate to the U.S within the 6 month allotted time, then his/her immigrant visa will expire, and the I-130 process must start all over again. Also, if your relative is your wife or husband and you have been married for less then 2 years at the time of his/her arrival at a port of entry, then he/she will receive a temporary I-551 Stamp and then later a Green Card by mail good for only 2 years. Ninety days before the green card expires you will have to file an I-751 form to remove it's conditional status.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

You need to gather as much "evidence" of an on-going relationship that you can and get it to your husband before his interview.

Evidence can be phone bills (showing the number called in Egypt/America,) internet chat records, emails, cards and letters (with envelopes,) plane tickets, hotel bills, copies of the stamped pages from your passport showing your Egyptian border entries/exits, and especially photographs of you and your husband together on various occasions, both with and without family and friends.

The consulates don't always ask for these things, but they might. Best to be prepared. Also make sure he has copies of all your USCIS and NVC paperwork - copies of your NOAs, your I-864, your tax returns and paycheck stubs, etc.

The Middle East/North Africa forum is here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=97

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have always found it interesting in the ME forum that MOST of the women are much older than their fiances/husbands. I always ask myself if they got married here to an American would he be that much younger? I find that rather rare in the US that a woman would marrry a man so much younger than herself but I could be wrong.

Also something I noticed when I went to Morocco is that most of the men I saw were older married to younger women. I wonder if the opposite is a red flag because it is not common there.

Timeline
Really I didn't realize. So I guess I will put together a "good" package for him to take with him for his interview.

Do you think I should go with him?

If you are able to travel in time for the interview, it sure wouldn't hurt your case. Some consulates will not allow the U.S. citizen to actually attend the interview, some will. But just the fact that you are there sitting outside may help, in case the consulate has any questions.

I wished that I could have attended my husband's interview... if there was any way, I would have been there for him.

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Really I didn't realize. So I guess I will put together a "good" package for him to take with him for his interview.

Do you think I should go with him?

If you are able to travel in time for the interview, it sure wouldn't hurt your case. Some consulates will not allow the U.S. citizen to actually attend the interview, some will. But just the fact that you are there sitting outside may help, in case the consulate has any questions.

I wished that I could have attended my husband's interview... if there was any way, I would have been there for him.

(F)

I agree. I say if you can go, then by all means GO!!!! good luck!

-MK

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I have always found it interesting in the ME forum that MOST of the women are much older than their fiances/husbands. I always ask myself if they got married here to an American would he be that much younger? I find that rather rare in the US that a woman would marrry a man so much younger than herself but I could be wrong.

Also something I noticed when I went to Morocco is that most of the men I saw were older married to younger women. I wonder if the opposite is a red flag because it is not common there.

I think it's a double whammy, so to speak, since it is uncommon in both the U.S. and in Morocco.