Loolie

does reusing plastic bottled water cause cancer?

29 posts in this topic

[Look at the bottom of the bottle, it has there the recycle thing and inside it, number of times it could be re-used (or so I was told by my colleague.)

That number doesn't reflect the number of times something has been recycled but the type of material

PET or PETE (Polyethylene Terephalate Ethylene)

051608-2043-cheatsheetf6.jpg

PET (also known as polyester, represented by the plastic recycle symbol number 1) is the most popular material used in disposable bottled beverages, food, and non-food packaging. Lightweight, inexpensive, easy to recycle, PET poses low risk of “leaching” breakdown products but experts caution against any repeated usage. PET is in very high demand among remanufacturers but the recycling rate for this material has remained low at around 20%.

Found In: Soft drink, water, juice, and beer bottles; mouthwash bottles; peanut butter containers; salad dressing and vegetable oil containers; ovenable food trays.

Recycled Into: Automotive parts, such as luggage racks, headliners, fuse boxes, bumpers, grilles and door panels; Polar fleece, fiber, tote bags, furniture, carpet, paneling, straps, (occasionally) PET, new containers

HDPE (High Density Polyethylene)

051608-2043-cheatsheetf7.jpg

HDPE (recycle symbol no.2) is commonly used for packaging products with short-shelf life and common household chemicals and is believed to pose a low risk of contaminating contents with breakdown products. Versatile in its uses, HDPE are produced in either pigmented or unpigmented resin, with the pigmented variety found to be more resistant to chemicals and breakage.

Found In: Milk jugs, juice bottles; bleach, detergent and household cleaner bottles; shampoo bottles; some trash and shopping bags; motor oil bottles; butter and yogurt containers; cereal box liners, bleach bottles.

Recycled Into: Laundry detergent bottles, oil bottles, pens, recycling containers, floor tile, drainage pipe, benches, doghouses, picnic tables, fencing, mailbox posts, chairs, toys.

PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride)

051608-2043-cheatsheetf8.jpg

PVC (recycle symbol no.3) is a tough, flexible, and chemical-resistant plastic commonly used for piping and and injection-molding. Rarely recycled, this plastic is considered to be dangerous in relation to food preparation and should not be allowed to come into contact with food when cooking. It contains chlorine and will release toxins to the environment if burned.

Found In: Window cleaner and detergent bottles, shampoo bottles, cooking oil bottles, clear food packaging, wire jacketing, medical equipment, siding, windows, piping. Also used for peanut butter jars and water jugs, wire and cable jacketing.

Recycled Into: Decking, panels, binders, mudflaps, roadway gutters, flooring, cables, speed bumps, mats

LDPE (Low Density

Polyethylene )

051608-2043-cheatsheetf9.jpg

LDPE (recycle symbol no.4) is a tough and flexible plastic that has many uses, including heat-sealing nd insulation applications. LDPE is not normally recycled through community recycling programs, but in the past years, the number of local recycle programs that accept LDPE has increased.

Found In: Plastic bags and grocery sacks, dry cleaning bags and flexible film packaging, Squeezable bottles; bread, frozen food, dry cleaning and shopping bags; tote bags; clothing; furniture; carpet

Recycled Into: Film and sheet, trash can liners and cans, compost bins, shipping envelopes, paneling, lumber, landscaping tiles, floor tile.

PP (Polypropylene)

051608-2043-cheatsheetf10.jpg

PP (recycle logo no.5) is chemical-resistant, has a high melting point, and has the lowest density of all resins used in packaging. It is widely used in containers designed for hot liquids.

Found in: Yogurt containers, syrup bottles, ketchup bottles, caps, straws, medicine bottles, straws and film packaging.

Recycled into: Signal lights, battery cables, brooms, brushes, auto battery cases, ice scrapers, landscape borders, bicycle racks, rakes, bins, pallets, and trays

PS (Polystyrene)

051608-2043-cheatsheetf11.jpg

PS (recycle symbol no.6) is characterized by its low melting point and is a good material for insulation. It can be manufactured into rigid foam products like the trademark Styrofoam. This material has long been on the watch list of environmentalists because of its widespread use and difficulty in recycling. Current evidence suggest that Polystyrene can leach toxins into food.

Found in: Disposable plates and cups, meat trays, egg cartons, carry-out containers, aspirin bottles, compact disc cases

Recycled into: Insulation, light switch plates, egg cartons, egg trays, fast food packaging, vents, rulers, foam packing, carry-out containers

Other (Polycarbonate)

051608-2043-cheatsheetf12.jpg

The category “Other” (recycle symbol no. 7) includes material not categorized under any of the resin classifications above or combinations of any of those.

Found in: Three and five gallon water bottles, certain food product bottles, , ‘bullet-proof’ materials, sunglasses, DVDs, iPod and computer cases, signs and displays, certain food containers, nylon, outdoor and camping bottles, gym bottles, baby bottles.

Recycled into: Plastic lumber, custom-made products

In recent years, Plastics Symbol no. 7 became the focus of growing concern worldwide as it was found out that many no.7 plastics are made with Polycarbonate plastic which, under scientific experiments, were discovered to leach Bisphenol A. This is a type of chemical known to be a hormonal disruptor causing miscarriages and birth defects, according to a study conducted by Case Western Reserve scientists. “Synthetic xenoestrogens,” one of which is Bisphenol A or BPA “are linked to breast cancer and uterine cancer in women, decreased testosterone levels in men, and are particularly devastating to babies and young children. BPA has even been linked to insulin resistance and Type 2 Diabetes.”

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Don't Drink Bottled Water Kept in Car

Description: Email rumor

Circulating since: April 2007 (this version)

Summary: Forwarded message warns women not to drink bottled water that has been left in a car for any length of time because, supposedly, the heat releases cancer-causing toxins which 'leak' from the plastic into the water.

Where does this stuff come from :wacko:

Born from the same corrupt minds who used to spread rumors orally.

This comes from the people whose business is to manufacture plastic bottles for the water bottling company. If you reuse the plastic bottles, then it's not good to their business.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

This comes from the people whose business is to manufacture plastic bottles for the water bottling company. If you reuse the plastic bottles, then it's not good to their business.

I just read an article that says recycling is slowing down again, bad for the environment. :unsure:

Filed: Timeline
Cool you are talking about re using the bottles and not the water... I read the title and was thinking on hwo do you "recycle" the water :wacko:

wow then tell me what should be the correct title smart ####...hehehehe

I'm not sure about that, but if you would care to look at the number of times a bottle can be recycled at the bottom or somewhere that has the triangle (recycle sign) on the bottle, it would then say how many times it could be re-used.

The mark on the bottle identifies the type of plastic used to make the container.

http://www.ides.com/resources/plastic-recycling-codes.asp

Oh, no! Jasman beat me to the post!

Edited by Mister_Bill

It was really confusing me about the number on the bottle. I guess he thought the bottles are recycled as is and not ground up. :blink:

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It was really confusing me about the number on the bottle. I guess he thought the bottles are recycled as is and not ground up. :blink:

Why, thank you for finding it out. -Anna

AnnaJeff's blog ****

th_PIC_1059.jpg

I love Jeff I Love Anna

725325v80m0346dj.gif7.gifTTT725325v80m0346dj.gif

725325v80m0346dj.gif

xoxoTTT

252682in41fsxg03.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Cool you are talking about re using the bottles and not the water... I read the title and was thinking on hwo do you "recycle" the water :wacko:

wow then tell me what should be the correct title smart ####...hehehehe

to read correctly it should have been

Does reusing plastic water bottles cause cancer.

In that order the bottle becomes the subject of the question not the water. But it was a much more amusing visual the way it was originally

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

This is a story which should have never gone beyond the first belief. Plastics or Vinyls of any sort are all porous in one sort or another, and can harbor bacteria, or remnants of prior use. As are all containers used to store food, water, or medications rightly.

As is widely believed by those who are simply uninformed..these containers are not only safe..but actually safer then all other forms of storage. If this were true, then the same packages which Hospitals use to administer Medications, IV Fluids, and simple food storage, and hazardous waste storage would also be compromised.

Hopefully in the future..those simply trying to be humorous with their remarks, as are often the case, or those posting without knowledge, or education in such articles should not post their replies, and mislead those who might be lead to believe such statements are true. Help everyone else here by stating only that which you are familiar, and educated, and know as fact. Thse forums are designed to help, to educate, and in many instances relieve others of worry, and fear. Keep up the Good Work, and make these forums a great place to learn, and to grow. God Bless Visa Journey.

"Words without thought are like actions with no meaning or purpose".

Edited by randynrose

Sent I-130 & I-129F on 06/30/06 same day

I-129f sent to Chicago

I-130 sent to Neb. transf. to CSC.

I-129F Process

07/03/06 Rec. Date on I-129F

07/06/06 Notice Date on NOA1

07/09/06 I-129F Rec. in mail

I-130 Process

07/24/06 I-130 NOA1 rec'd in mail

Confirmed-Notice rec'd from CSC

07/03/06 Recd date on I-130 NOA1

07/20/06 Notice Date on NOA1

E-mail rec'd 09-29-06 I 130 APPROVED

10/17/06 NVC rec'd , awaiting case #

10/19/06 NVC gives case #

10/30/06 NVC sent DS-3032 & I-864 bill.

10/31/06 DS-3032 sent using J's s/c

10/31/06 Wife e-mails NVC agent

11/01/06 I rec'd DS-3032 & AOS Fee Bill

11/07/06 NVC acccepts e-mailed agent

11/09/06 AOS Fee Bill O/N to NVC

11/13/06 NVC gnrts IV Bill

11/14/06 NVC rec'd AOS Fee Bill

11/21/06 I got IV Bill

11/22/06 IV Bill sent

11/30/06 IV Fee rec'd by NVC

12/04/06 I rec'd I-864 Pack

12/04/06 DS-230 gnrtd by NVC

12/05/06 I sent I-864

12/07/06 NVC got I-864

12/18/06 Sent DS-230 to NVC

12/20/06 DS-230 rec'd snail mail

12/21/06 E-mail from NVC, Rec'd DS-230

02/06/07 Case Complete at NVC

02/28/07 Left NVC

03/01/07 Rec'd In Manila

04/20/07 Interview..Approved & put on AR... :(

05/24/07 Visa Received

06/04/07 Rose is in the U.S. (POE.MSP)

06/10/07 Green Card Arrives in mail

06/12/07 S.S # received

04/02/07 Biometrics Complete St.Paul Office University Ave.

This is a story which should have never gone beyond the first belief. Plastics or Vinyls of any sort are all porous in one sort or another, and can harbor bacteria, or remnants of prior use. As are all containers used to store food, water, or medications rightly.

As is widely believed by those who are simply uninformed..these containers are not only safe..but actually safer then all other forms of storage. If this were true, then the same packages which Hospitals use to administer Medications, IV Fluids, and simple food storage, and hazardous waste storage would also be compromised.

Hopefully in the future..those simply trying to be humorous with their remarks, as are often the case, or those posting without knowledge, or education in such articles should not post their replies, and mislead those who might be lead to believe such statements are true. Help everyone else here by stating only that which you are familiar, and educated, and know as fact. Thse forums are designed to help, to educate, and in many instances relieve others of worry, and fear. Keep up the Good Work, and make these forums a great place to learn, and to grow. God Bless Visa Journey.

:blink:

Filed: Timeline

:wow:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

so meanwhile, back at the farm.......

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

thats why this is a forum coz its changing ideas...heller..bakit yun lang bang mga knowledgeable ang pwedeng mag post or mag reply?

Reusing plastic bottles is Harmful to human health.

Do you know what the number stands for?

Did you guess that it's just for recycling?

Then you are WRONG !!!!!!

THE NUMBER TELLS YOU THE CHEMICAL MAKE UP OF THE PLASTIC.....

Do you know what the number stands for?

Did you guess that it's just for recycling?

Then you are WRONG !!!!!!

THE NUMBER TELLS YOU THE CHEMICAL MAKE UP OF THE PLASTIC.....

1) Polyethylene terephalate (PET)

2) High density polyethylene (HDPE)

3) Unplasticised polyvinyl chloride (UPVC) or Plasticised polyvinyl chloride (PPVC)

4) Low density polyethylene LDPE

5) Polypropylene (PP)

6) Polystyrene (PS) or Expandable polystyrene (EPS)

7) Other, including nylon and acrylic

What you aren't told is that many of the plastics used are toxic and the chemicals used to create a plastic can leach out of the plastic and into the food / drink.

Think about it, how many times have you or a friend said "I don't like this, it taste like the plastic bottle ..... "

THAT'S BECAUSE YOU ARE TASTING THE PLASTIC

The WORST ONES are Nos: 3, 6, and 7 !!!

DO NOT USE THESE NUMBERS if stated at the bottom of the bottle) !!!

Check out this chart that breaks down the plastic, its uses and chemical makeup (I find #7 a little scary)

http://www.epd.gov.hk/epd/english/environm...e_plascod3.html

Reusing plastic bottles by refilling them is NOT a good idea. WATCH THIS VIDEO:

http://video.wnbc.com/player/?id=238518

Microwaving plastic containers affects the chemical make up of the plastic, allowing the chemical substances to destabilize and leach out more quickly into the food you are reheating. You can check out this article that ran in the Wall Street Journal: http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Microwave...th-Problems.htm

Lists the information as: overblown with a grain of TRUTH READ the FULL 3 pages of the article! http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-m...wave-dioxin.htm

AVOID re-using plastic bottles RIGHT AWAY !!!

Visit My Website

Nothing Worth Having is Easy.

• 6 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.