rbatra

Just starting..Tight Timeline please help

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello all...I am new to this board but have tried to search for my answers before posting. I am a US Citizen currently working in London. I am set to return to the US in July and would like to bring my fiancée back with me. We are debating a 129F filing of DCF filing after getting married here. She feels that the 129F would be better as we would have time to plan properly. My question is what is the chance of getting the process wrapped up by July. If it is not possible can she still travel on a visa waiver after we apply. Secondly can a lawyer help at all. We have spoken to one here and he qoted £1000 fee for paperwork.

Thank you very much for your help and support and I hope we can make our move back to US successfully!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello all...I am new to this board but have tried to search for my answers before posting. I am a US Citizen currently working in London. I am set to return to the US in July and would like to bring my fiancée back with me. We are debating a 129F filing of DCF filing after getting married here. She feels that the 129F would be better as we would have time to plan properly. My question is what is the chance of getting the process wrapped up by July. If it is not possible can she still travel on a visa waiver after we apply. Secondly can a lawyer help at all. We have spoken to one here and he qoted £1000 fee for paperwork.

Thank you very much for your help and support and I hope we can make our move back to US successfully!

right now, I would say the chances are somewhere between slim and none for the I-129F to even be out of the USCIS let alone the consulate...

YMMV

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi,

In my experience, it is best to go solo and avoid a lawyer unless you have a complicated case. If you file now, depending on the visa center that you use, you could possibly make it for July. It took us 5.5 months from filing to getting into the country, but we didn't make any mistakes along the way. A lawyer might help you to put the papers together, but they can't speed up anything. You will use some of your time just waiting for him to return the papers. I live on the east coast and the Vermont Center at the time was much speedier. Also, the times listed on the government site are generally on the conservative side. In other words, they say they are working on September 08 cases when they are really looking at December 08 cases. Check the Processing Times and Immigration Timelines to get a good idea. In part it depends on the Embassy you use.

There are some other filing alternatives if you get married, but the K3 option is often slower. Occasionally there is Direct Consular filing (which the London Embassy might still allow). If you live in the country that you want to file you can file there. Give the Embassy a call and find out. It could be significantly quicker.

Cheers

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

My question is what is the chance of getting the process wrapped up by July.

Not a chance. Total processing times from submittal to interview are running around 220 days. Do the math.

If it is not possible can she still travel on a visa waiver after we apply.

I don't see why not.

Secondly can a lawyer help at all.

They can help relieve you of funds but nothing else.

We have spoken to one here and he qoted £1000 fee for paperwork.

I'll fill out your paperwork for $10 USD!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

If you're currently working in London, and you've been living there. I would think you could do DCF? Have you checked that option out? That would allow you to marry there, and possibly fast track both of you coming back at the same time in July. I don't know how the DCF process works there, like, how quickly, but that might be an option!

If you apply for a 129-F, fiance's petition, and mailed it from there, you might have your NOA2 by the time you leave, but I highly doubt you'll have an interview by July. Might best check out the processing times from her country.

Best of luck!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I wouldn't try to get married there. I think the I-129F is the smart way to go and if it's not approved by the time you have to leave, your fiance could always come to the US with you on the Visa Wavier Program while you wait for the approval. No need for a lawyer, people here on the board are all that you need! The process does take some time, money and patience but there is a chance it could be approved by July.

Money --

I-129F - $545

Medical - ~$300

Police Certificate - $70

That's the big amounts.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck to you!!

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I wouldn't try to get married there. I think the I-129F is the smart way to go and if it's not approved by the time you have to leave, your fiance could always come to the US with you on the Visa Wavier Program while you wait for the approval. No need for a lawyer, people here on the board are all that you need! The process does take some time, money and patience but there is a chance it could be approved by July.

Money --

I-129F - $545

Medical - ~$300

Police Certificate - $70

That's the big amounts.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck to you!!

I-129F for fiance(e) is $455USD if my memory serves me

YMMV

Take a look at the immigration timelines link at the top of the page, the stats should be helpful. Good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.