Saudi minister calls low oil prices unsustainable

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Saudi minister calls low oil prices unsustainable

By LYNN COOK

2009 Houston Chronicle

Feb. 10, 2009, 8:32PM

Saudi Arabia’s oil minister told a packed dinner audience tonight that he has no doubt speculative investors pushed the price of oil into triple digits last year with “bullish market psychology.”

Now that the market’s “group-think” has done a 180-degree turn, overly pessimistic views are keeping oil prices depressed, Ali Ibrahim al-Naimi, minister of petroleum and mineral resources, said in a keynote speech at Cambridge Energy Associates’ CERAWeek conference in Houston.

“From a fundamental viewpoint, prices will be just as unsustainable at these low levels as they were at the stratospherically high levels experienced last year,” he said in prepared text released as the speech began.

The volatility of energy markets in recent years has often obscured market signals, leaving some unsure when to conserve energy, when to invest. Without price stability, al-Naimi warned, “achieving global economic recovery will be significantly more difficult.”

Saudi Arabia has a goal of keeping spare production capacity at 1.5 million to 2 million barrels of oil per day to help stabilize prices, al-Naimi said. That cushion is expected to swell to 4.5 million by mid-year when the 1.2 million barrel-a-day project in Khurais comes online.

The Saudi energy minister’s comments captured a common theme at the conference, that energy markets are in limbo.

“The unprecedented price volatility in conjunction with the complexity, breadth and the pace of the collapse of the financial system crashed over us like an economic tsunami, ripping us from our intellectual and experiential moorings, leaving many confused and uncertain about the way forward,” he said.

“The recent past was all about high risk and high returns. The present focus is on stability and survival.”

Al-Naimi did not give a specific price range where he thinks oil should be traded, but said crude prices have to achieve a balance—low enough to be accessible to lower-income developing countries that need it to gain economic ground while high enough to encourage conservation and spur development of unconventional resources.

“While there may be no consensus on what is a fair price for a barrel of oil, I think that we all can agree that the volatility of oil prices over the past year was detrimental to the interests of oil producers, consumers and the industry alike,” he said.

Al-Naimi predicted climate change and the geopolitics surrounding it will prove an even bigger driver of energy markets and policy than the economic crisis. He warned that a reactionary move toward protectionism and over-regulation could create a chilling effect on energy investment, but said governments pushing too hard for alternatives when it is still unknown which will be the most efficient and economic would have more dire effects.

“A nightmare scenario would be created if alternative energy supplies fail to meet overly optimistic expectations while traditional energy suppliers scale back investment due to expectations of declining demand for their products,” he said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/6257076.html

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Unlike 1973, US share of oil imports/consumption has declined (and Muddle East's share of the supply pie also has declined appreciably since 2006 and is set to do so further) to other large-total-economy (by sheer population size) countries such as China (in 1973 it was a net exporter, now no way) and India; also, erstwhile OPEC-member Indonesia (212 million population) now must import oil for domestic use.

Basically, demand for kerosene (cook-fuel, air transport, some industrial uses) and diesel (road/rail transport) from these countries will certainly increase.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Taking little girls as brides is “bullish market psychology” .

Edited by Nagishkaw

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Dear Saudi Minister,

We have a global financial crisis going on here. Thanks for noticing you are suffering too. We are now a poor country, where do we sign up for oil aid?

A woman is like a tea bag: she does not know how strong she is until she is in hot water.

- Nancy Reagan

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
... overly pessimistic views are keeping oil prices depressed, Ali Ibrahim al-Naimi said

Not really. Demand is falling faster than OPEC and other producers can cut back.

Also not enough storage. Today's oil futures contracts:

March delivery: $35.45

April delivery: $42.47

If traders had somewhere to store oil for a month, they would go long March, short April

and make a guaranteed profit of $7.02 = $42.47-$35.45 per barrel.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Great :idea:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Didn't think oil storage was the problem, but cash storage from what we had to pay these last few years.

Yea, where did they store all that wind-fall profit taking :angry: I bet it was more than 879 billion :wacko:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

... overly pessimistic views are keeping oil prices depressed, Ali Ibrahim al-Naimi said
Not really. Demand is falling faster than OPEC and other producers can cut back.
But there is a bottom-level demand which the West will reach--and where the increase in demand from Indonesia, India and China will takeover.

Also not enough storage. Today's oil futures contracts:

March delivery: $35.45

April delivery: $42.47

If traders had somewhere to store oil for a month, they would go long March, short April

and make a guaranteed profit of $7.02 = $42.47-$35.45 per barrel.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.