yaadgal

SO was arrested,now what?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My SO , who i am in the process of filing K1 for,was recently arrested for getting in a fight. He got into an altercation with a drunk on the street who shoved him, and attempted to cut him in line at an ATM. The two got in a shoving match, and my SO popped him in the face.( Believe me, i have already ripped him a new one) that he could have simply walked away, let it go whatever but he didnt initially. Well suffice to say the guy got into the ATM booth and then held the door and said you cant use it at all to my SO, so my SO then decided to walk to another one, as he was walking away the guy came at him from behind i guess to continue the fight and my SO turned around, as they were fighting my SO pulled out his can opener on his key ring and poked/stabbed the guy 3 times, drawing blood. Well anyway the amusing thing about this situation( as if there was one...NOT) is that these two geniuses ( my SO and his attacker) were across the street from the police station, so suffice to say police came out arrested both of them, saw only one was bleeding, got the story from the drunk that my SO stabbed him, they sent him( drunk guy) to the hospital and my SO to a warm and cozy jail cell for the night, fortunately said SO's brothers were able to bail him out. He now has a court date on March 5 to deal with the case. My question is, if he is charged he was told he could face 3months in jail, how would this affect us getting approved for a visa, if it shows up on his police certificate????? Just another set back in the journey of visa, which has become my life. All input is appreciated!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
My SO , who i am in the process of filing K1 for,was recently arrested for getting in a fight. He got into an altercation with a drunk on the street who shoved him, and attempted to cut him in line at an ATM. The two got in a shoving match, and my SO popped him in the face.( Believe me, i have already ripped him a new one) that he could have simply walked away, let it go whatever but he didnt initially. Well suffice to say the guy got into the ATM booth and then held the door and said you cant use it at all to my SO, so my SO then decided to walk to another one, as he was walking away the guy came at him from behind i guess to continue the fight and my SO turned around, as they were fighting my SO pulled out his can opener on his key ring and poked/stabbed the guy 3 times, drawing blood. Well anyway the amusing thing about this situation( as if there was one...NOT) is that these two geniuses ( my SO and his attacker) were across the street from the police station, so suffice to say police came out arrested both of them, saw only one was bleeding, got the story from the drunk that my SO stabbed him, they sent him( drunk guy) to the hospital and my SO to a warm and cozy jail cell for the night, fortunately said SO's brothers were able to bail him out. He now has a court date on March 5 to deal with the case. My question is, if he is charged he was told he could face 3months in jail, how would this affect us getting approved for a visa, if it shows up on his police certificate????? Just another set back in the journey of visa, which has become my life. All input is appreciated!!!

Well, Honestly I have no idea , but if your SO is the petitioner, then I dont think it will matter at all. If he is the benificiary, then I think there could be a problem.. but dont take my word on it.. lol wait for someone who knows what they are talking about to reply to your post :blush:

Edited by Amazon
eNVl.gif R8nu.gif KHYe.gif 2Gxj.gif QAfc.gif vIpQ.gif yjoB.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Sheesh! If he is convicted of this deadly act, he will be inadmissable. I assume he is the beneficiary?

By that sentence it would seem he is the beneficiary.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Timeline

Yep he is the beneficiary. He was upset last night, so tried not to fuss too much, but honeslty i told him was it really worth it!!! I mean dyam!!! he could have walked away, i told him you do realize this could pose problems dont you???? when i really wanted to say :ranting: WTH!!!! were you thinking. He feels he acted in self defense :no: i say NO, yes you defended yourself, you were hit from behind the second time, but you used a weapon!! also you popped him in the face( first mistake in my book) at this point, we have been seeing each other over a year or more and to think that now that we are ready to file, that something this stupid could potentially put an end to our journey, just makes me mad, sad, just to many emotions to even comprehend at the moment.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

google "crimes involving moral turpitude" or "visa ineligibilities" to get an understanding of the type of things that they look for

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.