K1researcher

would you live in your fiancee's country?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

interesting topic I thought ...

What are your thoughts?

I would, but in order to do so I need to get a Rus citizenship(required for the line of work I would pursue).

However, thinking of future terms if i did not need employment I would like to split my time between there and here.

How about the rest of you?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

my wife might object if I lived in my fiancee's country... but if the right economics could be accomplished, I would do as you are thinking... splitting time

YMMV

I totally would live in Jordan! I would just need to learn a lot more Arabic...but life there is so much more laid back and I wouldn't have to work so that would be really nice. :) Plus stuff is so cheap over there, although pay isn't as high. And the climate is much better than here...dry & not humid as hell like here in NC in the summer!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't think I would be happy living in Morocco all year round...I love the hospitality of people and the family aspect, but no privacy is a huge downer for me and the fact that I can't speak the language at all...Here, you either live on top of your neighbors or so far away that you can't get to the market more than 1-2 times a month; there's no middle ground at all...So, unless things get really bad really soon for me in the US, I don't plan on taking up permanent residency in Morocco. We HAVE spoken about buying a home in Morocco which we would rent out when we aren't in the area though. I have no problem with living in my fiance's country for 3-6 months or so, but longer than that is a pretty solid 'no'...

We met in October 2007 and our immigration journey started in July 2008 when we filed for the I-129F Fiance Visa petition. 

~05/16/2009~ MARRIED!!!!

~08/31/2011~ OUR SON WAS BORN!!!!

~02/17/2012~ Mailed I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residency to Vermont Service Center

~03/19/2012~ ASC Biometrics Appointment

~11/05/2012~ Production of 10-year GC ordered

~7/1/2014~ Our son's first trip to Morocco

~03/17/2018~ Filed N-400

~04/09/2018~ Biometrics

~6/13/2018~ Off to Morocco, my parents in tow!

~10/23/2018~ Interview, approved

~11/7/2018~ Oath Ceremony

I would live in the philippines and most likely will, at least part of the year once I retire.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

What are your thoughts?

I would, but in order to do so I need to get a Rus citizenship(required for the line of work I would pursue).

However, thinking of future terms if i did not need employment I would like to split my time between there and here.

Do you speak Russian? That is one of the reasons I wouldn't live there right now; my Russian is still rather weak. But the main reason is I have an 8 year old son who lives with me. His mother lives nearby and is an important part of his life. I could never live in Russia with this situation.

I will, however, keep an open mind to moving there later in life. I would love to live in Moscow or Peter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My husband would never live in Moscow. He says it is so huge and crazy. I just say that it isn't huge and crazy, it is that St. Louis is slow and rural. :whistle:

Drew (St. Louis, MO) + Lyuba (Moscow, Russia)

December 1, 2003 - met and fell in love in Moscow, Russia

K-1

June 24, 2004 - NOA1

September 14, 2004 - NOA2

December 2, 2004 - Interview

December 24, 2004 - Arrival to the USA

January 14, 2005 - Wedding

AOS

January 25, 2005 - applied for AOS, EAD and AP in person

June 29, 2005 - AOS interview

August 8, 2005 - Green card arrived

Lifting of conditions

April 17, 2007 - NOA1 (extension letter)

April 2, 2008 - case transferred to CSC

May 8, 2008 - 10 year Green card arrived

Naturalization

July 24, 2008 - NOA1

November 19, 2008 - Interview

January 9, 2009 - Oath

January 17, 2009 - applied for US passport

January 26, 2009 - US passport arrived

DONE WITH IMMIGRATION

Timeline

What are your thoughts?

Do you speak Russian? That is one of the reasons I wouldn't live there right now; my Russian is still rather weak. But the main reason is I have an 8 year old son who lives with me. His mother lives nearby and is an important part of his life. I could never live in Russia with this situation.

I will, however, keep an open mind to moving there later in life. I would love to live in Moscow or Peter.

yes. i would never live in Moscow though. Too crazy, same goes for New York and Chicago. I used to live in LA and it sucked for the same reason. I could live in St. Pete, Nizhny, or other similar sized city. I wouldnt mind living in the country with a farm either :-P i am pretty easy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband (USC) would definitely live in Canada, he was actually trying to do so when I met him. But, he has a good government job with a great pension, so we won't pursue moving back to Canada until he retires in about 8 years.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Timeline
My husband would never live in Moscow. He says it is so huge and crazy. I just say that it isn't huge and crazy, it is that St. Louis is slow and rural. :whistle:

well given st louis is MUCH slower than Moscow :-P

I wouldn't anymore. I am currently living in Moscow, but we will be moving to the States in the summer. I really do love the city, but I can't see myself living here permanently. In the beginning it was really fun and "oh, it's so cool how they do this differently!" but after a while that wears off, and you get tired of the impossible bureaucracy (see my post about the military certificate), salespeople who yell at you, the fact that half the time I go to the grocery store they're out of whatever I want to buy, and of course, the high prices--not only high prices, but because this city caters to the rich, you always feel like you're poor. The only way I would agree to live here is if I had tons of money. Then you could have a pretty good life. Also, I wouldn't want to raise my kids here. For a number of reasons. That said, I really do love Moscow, it's an exciting and happening place. We will definitely be coming back to visit, but not to live(and lucky for me, hubby would also rather live in the States!).

P.S. I speak fluent Russian and know a lot about the culture, so this has nothing to do with that. It's all about personal preferences.

June 2002 we met at a mutual friend's birthday party

August 2003 we started dating

August 2006 engaged

July 20, 2008 ZAGS wedding in Moscow

May 18, 2008 church wedding in NY

June 16, 2008 we returned to Moscow for one last year

December 1, 2008 filed the I-130 through DCF at the Embassy in Moscow!

January 13, 2009 called the consulate and found out that I-130 was approved on December 22!! But still waiting for the letter in the mail

January 20, 2009 received an e-mail from the consulate that the interview is scheduled for Feb. 20th at 8AM!

January 24, 2009 received packets 3 & 4 and confirmation letter in the mail!

February 12, 2009 medical passed!

February 20, 2009 interview scheduled, but had to reschedule due to a wounded finger

March 6, 2009 new interview date---passed!!!

March 12, 2009 visa received

August 9, 2009 he arrived! (through JFK) Received IR-1 and now we're done for another three years!

August 31, 2009 permanent green card arrived

July 16, 2012 sent in N-400 for U.S. citizenship

July 23, 2012 NOA

August 10, 2012 biometrics appt.

October 5, 2012 citizenship interview (approved!)

December 7, 2012 oath ceremony. We're done!

Timeline

I would consider it, but probably as a retirement type thing.

Problem is, my wife is from St petersburg.... and they have lousy weather. It would be much more appealing if her flat was say in... Sochi or some other area.

Of course the other problem is LANGUAGE, I thought I would expand my Russian language after she moved here but it has actually regressed.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

What are your thoughts?

Absolutely. My SO and I have already discussed the possibility of me moving to live with her now, or in the future. We have also discussed the option of working 6 months a year in the USA, saving money and then moving back to russia for 6 months, living off of the wages we earned in the USA.

Work in florida, during the autumn and winter months. Live in Bashkortostan during the spring/summer months.

I-129F mailed to VSC - 08/27/08

I-129F recieved at VSC - 08/28/08

Check Cleared - 09/02/08 (Case number on back of check, never mailed me NOA1)

Touched - 09/03/08

Touched - 09/23/08

Touched - 09/24/08 (I think it relates to my change of address request)

Approval notice - 02/26/09 (updated timeline)

Approval Hardcopy - 03/05/09

Left NVC - 03/05/2009

Interview - 05/19/2009

Entered USA- 08/03/2009

P.O.E. - Atlanta, GA

http://www.myspace.com/freethinkers

Timeline

I always tell her we will move to Murmansk :-P for some reason that name just makes me giggle so I must go there one day.

What are your thoughts?

Absolutely. My SO and I have already discussed the possibility of me moving to live with her now, or in the future. We have also discussed the option of working 6 months a year in the USA, saving money and then moving back to russia for 6 months, living off of the wages we earned in the USA.

Work in florida, during the autumn and winter months. Live in Bashkortostan during the spring/summer months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.