Daniel Brillit

Colombia Club Part II

2,910 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My fiance and I are in the process of gathering the Packet 4 documents for our K1 interview. I am the petitioner (US citizen) and she is the beneficiary (Colombian citizen). Packet 4 says that we need a DAS migration certificate for both me and her. She was able to obtain hers without trouble. However, she was told that I need to send some sort of authorization letter to her so that she can get a migration certificate for me.

Is that how others have obtained the DAS migration certificate for the petitioner when the petitioner was not living in Colombia? If so, what information did you put in the authorization letter? Did you get it notarized or anything like that?

Thanks for the help...

I should note by the way that this requirement to have the DAS migration certificate for the petitioner might be a new requirement. The Packet 4 instructions were updated in April 2011 (http://bogota.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/consular/kpkt4appointmentpackageapril2011-english.pdf), and the DAS migration certificate section is different from the previous version (2008?). Nonetheless, if anyone has run into this issue, your help would be appreciated.

Timeline

Interview today and it was approved!

To answer a few questions I had: No one ever asked for translated documents. It was never mentioned or required. For the K2 visa, no permissions were required at the interview (of course you need them to leave the country). We had her Birth certificate, DAS and Baptism certs apostille'd. The initial person to review removed them and said they were not required for the interview.

I just read the post about the DAS migration for US citizen. There was nothing about it at today's interview. I don't have one and not sure why I would need one.

Timeline

Hello! :)

Well, it's a few hours before I start my journey back to Colombia, my flight leaves San Diego at 10:50pm. My fiance Francys and I feel pretty good about all the documents, certificates, etc. I just pray that everything goes well for her at the interview Wedsnesday. The only thing I'm a little nervous about is my spanish. I speak intermediate, maybe low level advanced spanish and Francys doesn't speak english. I just hope my brain doesn't draw a blank if they decide to question me....... :blink: Otherwise, feeling pretty good and looking forward to seeing my love and her family! Will post soon...... bye for now.

Timeline

Good luck. Dont sweat the language thing too much. They didnt even ask me any questions me at our interview.

I dont beleive they knew I was even there.

Good luck.

Edited by kennym

Timeline

I should note by the way that this requirement to have the DAS migration certificate for the petitioner might be a new requirement. The Packet 4 instructions were updated in April 2011 (http://bogota.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/consular/kpkt4appointmentpackageapril2011-english.pdf), and the DAS migration certificate section is different from the previous version (2008?). Nonetheless, if anyone has run into this issue, your help would be appreciated.

I checked and it does say now that petitioners need it :huh: Guess I'll have to talk to my fiancee and ask how I get one...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello! :)

Well, it's a few hours before I start my journey back to Colombia, my flight leaves San Diego at 10:50pm. My fiance Francys and I feel pretty good about all the documents, certificates, etc. I just pray that everything goes well for her at the interview Wedsnesday. The only thing I'm a little nervous about is my spanish. I speak intermediate, maybe low level advanced spanish and Francys doesn't speak english. I just hope my brain doesn't draw a blank if they decide to question me....... :blink: Otherwise, feeling pretty good and looking forward to seeing my love and her family! Will post soon...... bye for now.

Don't sweat the language thing at all. When we had my interview, my level of Spanish was that of beginning toddler and my then-fiancee spoke no English. Everything asked of me at the interview was in English. Interestingly enough, they asked my fiancee zero questions beyond having her sign the DS-156 in front of the CO. All questions (all 2 of them, that is) were directed to me.

Best of luck with everything!

And, my Spanish has since progressed to the level of grade school dropout. good.gif

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Good Morning:

I have a Simple Question.

How soon do i need or can schedule my Wife Doctor appoitment Befoare Interview ? I know it needs to be before Interview at least 3 days .

To be more clear can I call this week and get her appoitment?

Her interview is July 21 at 9:00AM She will be in BOGOTA the 14 and i want to schedule her for the 15 .

I wonder if is to Early to call the LAB and DOctor .

I never got PKG 3 or 4 However i e-mail PKG 3 and got response from the Embassy as Thanks .

Regards

F

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I checked and it does say now that petitioners need it :huh: Guess I'll have to talk to my fiancee and ask how I get one...

That is new (as is the section on "Evidence of Relationship", I think...)

I know it says where it can be obtained but my question is: Would DAS issue a foreigner's migratory certificate to a third-party who has no legal relationship to someone (only fiancee) at this stage? Or, do they make someone come in person to request it?

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Good morning everyone... I noticed the bit about them requiring the DAS certificate for the petitioner as well, but I also noticed someone said that it was never requested from them at their interview. In fact, that was on Friday. Can anyone else confirm or deny whether they were asked for the DAS certificate for anyone besides the applicant? We still have time to get it, assuming I can authorize Janeth's sister in Bogota to get it for me like we did for Janeth, but I want to be sure before we go and do this.

Also, this is more of a frustrated aside, but in Bogota-Embassy speak, what does "approximately the 15th" really mean as far as posting next month's interview appointments? I've been calling everyday since we sent packet 3 back in two weeks ago and nothing.

Our visa journey

December 5th, 2009: Janeth and I meet online

January 3rd, 2011: Our one year anniversary as a couple!

January 11th, 2011: I-129f packet mailed out to USCIS Dallas Lockbox

January 12th, 2011: Packet arrives in Dallas

January 18th, 2011: $340 check cashed by USCIS

May 16th, 2011: NOA2 notice received via text message / on USCIS website!

May 20th, 2011: Paper copy of NOA2 received in the mail

May 24th, 2011: Application forwarded from NVC to U.S. Embassy in Bogota

July 29th, 2011: K-1 visa approved by U.S. Embassy in Bogota!!!

I just Notice that also Im asking wife to pull one for me a USC . I call the Local office in Cartagena and the official said that they will issue one for USC that has enter the country .

My wife is taking copies of my passaport ,Copy of Marrige certificate and Copy of cedula it will take 10 to 15 days to get document.

Is crazy they are asking for this wend copies of US passaport w. Immigration Seals Should be good.

Timeline

Good morning everyone... I noticed the bit about them requiring the DAS certificate for the petitioner as well, but I also noticed someone said that it was never requested from them at their interview. In fact, that was on Friday. Can anyone else confirm or deny whether they were asked for the DAS certificate for anyone besides the applicant? We still have time to get it, assuming I can authorize Janeth's sister in Bogota to get it for me like we did for Janeth, but I want to be sure before we go and do this.

Also, this is more of a frustrated aside, but in Bogota-Embassy speak, what does "approximately the 15th" really mean as far as posting next month's interview appointments? I've been calling everyday since we sent packet 3 back in two weeks ago and nothing.

They just posted the list this afternoon here: http://bogota.usembassy.gov/iv-appointments.html.

The posted link is broken, but it contains the actual link inside it. Here is the proper one: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/colombia/231771/PDFs/JulyA2011.pdf

What did you do to authorize your fiance's sister to act on her behalf? I am a bit unclear on what sort of legal document the government offices require in order to authorize someone to act on another's behalf.

Timeline

i dont know about anyone else, but i am going to call the embassy on wednesday the 22jul for clarification. if the petitioner now needs DAS certificate also, i believe that is going to be huge setback for alot of people.

Timeline

i dont know about anyone else, but i am going to call the embassy on wednesday the 22jul for clarification. if the petitioner now needs DAS certificate also, i believe that is going to be huge setback for alot of people.

uh,.. i meant june 22

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Congrats! This thread has become pretty large indeed! To reduce server loads I will need to close this "large thread" however please feel free to start a "part 2, 3, 4..." of this thread from scratch! :)

Thank you for understanding. My goal is to make the VJ server as snappy as possible :).

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.