Daniel Brillit

Colombia Club Part II

2,910 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Good idea on sending the instructions with the relevant part highlighted. good.gif

We're at that stage as well. After reading through the I-485 instructions a couple of times, we're going the route of submitting only the DS-3025 (along with the highlighted instructions as you suggested.) It cuts out the expense of the CS and hopefully will head off any RFE from USCIS as well.

It's clearly not required per USCIS instructions but we shall see....

One other question about AOS...

The name she chooses to use when filing the I-485 is what will become her legal name in the U.S., correct? I assume this (new) name should also be used when filing the other forms (I-131, I-765, etc.) concurrently with the I-485?

Also, the name she chooses to use in the U.S. will in no way affect her in Colombia, right? For example, there would be no need for her to go through the process of changing any of her Colombian documentation (cédula, passport, registro civil, etc.), correct? In other words, can she keep her name in Colombia but take mine here in the U.S. without causing herself problems when doing business in or visiting Colombia? Her Green Card (in new name) with Colombian passport (in maiden name) would be sufficient to re-enter the US in the future, right?

Her main concern is how difficult it may be to change everything in Colombia as it generally isn't done there.

Good luck with your AOS, jj7000!

jj7000,

If she chooses to change her last name to yours here in the US, then all she needs to do is fill out every form she gets with her new name. This is not only for any forms related with the USCIS but also with any other forms she will need to fill out such as her driver's license application, Social Security, bank forms, insurance forms, you name it.

Changing one's name in Colombia is a legal process that is extremely time consuming and not worth doing. She can keep her maiden name in Colombia and just tell her to carry a copy of her marriage certificate with her when she travels just in case immigration has questions regarding the difference in names found in her passport and green card.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

jj7000,

If she chooses to change her last name to yours here in the US, then all she needs to do is fill out every form she gets with her new name. This is not only for any forms related with the USCIS but also with any other forms she will need to fill out such as her driver's license application, Social Security, bank forms, insurance forms, you name it.

Changing one's name in Colombia is a legal process that is extremely time consuming and not worth doing. She can keep her maiden name in Colombia and just tell her to carry a copy of her marriage certificate with her when she travels just in case immigration has questions regarding the difference in names found in her passport and green card.

Diana

Thanks, Diana!

That's what I had thought but I wanted to hear it from someone else more familiar with the process.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Timeline

Hi everyone, I have a question/doubt regarding the medical. I went to the Bogotá embassy website to download the package for an immigrant visa for my husband.

However the information on the form is different than on the other forms I’ve seen on the state department website. I am not sure if the forms have been updated or not. I know that the HVI test is no longer required, but the form from the Bogotá embassy still shows that as a requirement. Nonetheless, it does not matter.

What I need to know/confirm, the doctors that we need to contact and what vaccines are required, and if the HIV test is no longer required, what is the blood work for? Does it need to be done/paid for?

These are the doctors from the form:

Dra. María Consuelo González

Cra. 8 No. 49-25, Cons. 302

Bogotá

Tels. 288-76 29 o 245-92 90

Dr. Jairo Roa

Centro Médico La Sabana

Cra. 7 No. 119-14, Cons. 325

Bogotá

Tels. 215-17 63 o 658-93 66

And are these all the vaccines?

--Pertusis o tosferina acelular

--Hepatitis A

--Hepatitis B

--Neumococo

--Influenza

--Haemophylus influenza tipo b (Hib)

--Toxoide tetánico y diftérico

--Sarampión

--Meningococo

--Paperas

--Polio

--Rotavirus

--Varicela

And one last question, if anyone can suggest/recommend which doctor to select….and if we can do all appointments in one day. He lives in Medellin so we will be doing this prior to our interview so I want to make sure we have enough time….

Please help! thanks...Mary

Mary,

The only vaccines he will need for his visa are MMR, TD and varicella if he didn't get it as child. That's it. Many people get them through their EPS or even the Red Cross because they tend to be less expensive than getting them at the doctor's office. Call either doctor to find out how much they charge for these specific vaccines to compare prices. Also, tell your husband not to get them too far in advance, I would say no more than a couple of weeks before his medical because these doctors tend to ask for them again claiming the vaccines the patient got a couple of months prior to their appointment are "too old". It's just a way for them to get more money.

He will need to get his lab work done before his medical. What most people do is go to get their lab done very early in the morning and make their medical appointment in the afternoon that same day so that the lab can send the results to the doctor. He can do this a couple of days before his visa interview which is what most people do just in case something comes up, that way he'll have an extra day to get things done or relax before the interview.

He can go see either doctor, one is not better than the other.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Mary,

The only vaccines he will need for his visa are MMR, TD and varicella if he didn't get it as child. That's it. Many people get them through their EPS or even the Red Cross because they tend to be less expensive than getting them at the doctor's office. Call either doctor to find out how much they charge for these specific vaccines to compare prices. Also, tell your husband not to get them too far in advance, I would say no more than a couple of weeks before his medical because these doctors tend to ask for them again claiming the vaccines the patient got a couple of months prior to their appointment are "too old". It's just a way for them to get more money.

He will need to get his lab work done before his medical. What most people do is go to get their lab done very early in the morning and make their medical appointment in the afternoon that same day so that the lab can send the results to the doctor. He can do this a couple of days before his visa interview which is what most people do just in case something comes up, that way he'll have an extra day to get things done or relax before the interview.

He can go see either doctor, one is not better than the other.

Diana

Ok, perfect, thank you... I will call and ask.... if the difference in price$$ is not much I rather do the shots in Bogota, just to be safe.....

since you suggested to do the lab work first I am assumming this is for the blood work, correct? but what I dont understand is why is that necessary if the HIV test is no longer required... I thought this was removed, only regular physical and xrays... I just dont want to pay for something that is not required.... I am not trying to be stubborned!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

jj7000,

Here's the deal. An applicant does not need an I-693 for AOS if they had their medical and vaccinations done in less than 12 months. However, the USCIS will send you an RFE requesting this form simply because they don't know the rules or are not up to par when it comes to doing their jobs.

You have two options. Call every single civil surgeon in your area that has been approved by the USCIS and ask to see how much they charge to fill out the I-693 based on the info found in the DS-3025 you got in Bogotá. They should not charge more than $20-$50 for that and should not tell you that you need a new medical.

Option two is to send a copy of the DS-3025 along with a print out of the I-485 instructions where it clearly says that you only need to send the vaccination supplement and not the medical report (I-693). You will find this info in page 4, item # 8 of the Instrucctions for form I-485:

8. Fiancé(e)s

If you are a K-1 fiancé(e) or K-2 dependent who had a medical examination within the past year as required for the nonimmigrant fiancé(e) visa, you only need to submit a vaccination supplement, no the entire medical report. You may include the vaccination supplement with your Form I-485.

Now, option 2 does not guarantee that you won't get an RFE but it's the most logical, less expensive route.

Diana

Hi guys i did option two. and so far we haven't recieved any RFEs so it worked out pretty good for us. god willing it stays that way.

Yesterday my hubby had his biometrics appointment it was super fast and easy only took about ten mins! :)

Timeline

Ok, perfect, thank you... I will call and ask.... if the difference in price$$ is not much I rather do the shots in Bogota, just to be safe.....

since you suggested to do the lab work first I am assumming this is for the blood work, correct? but what I dont understand is why is that necessary if the HIV test is no longer required... I thought this was removed, only regular physical and xrays... I just dont want to pay for something that is not required.... I am not trying to be stubborned!

The lab appointment is mandatory, they not only do blood work for all kinds of diseases such as syphilis and hepatitis, but they also take a chest x-ray. All results will be sent to the doctor doing the medical exam. The doctor will not give you a green light to get your visa until he/she has the lab results.

All of this information is at the top of page 6 of the appointment package found in the US Embassy in Bogotá web link.

LABORATORY EXAMINATION: Applicants who are 15 years of age or older are required to have blood tests and a chest X-ray done BEFORE their general physical examination at the following address:

Instituto y Laboratorio Clínico

Calle 38 No. 8-28, Local No. 1

Bogotá

Tel. 232-7272

Applicants who are 15 years of age or older must first select a doctor for the general examination, second complete your laboratory examination, and third complete your general physical examination. These examinations should be completed prior to your appointment at the Embassy. Please do not change doctors once you have selected one, as this will cause delays. Many applicants are able to complete their laboratory and physical examinations on the same day.

Diana

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

I have a question for the people who filed for a CR1/IR1 visa. Can you please tell me how long it took for you to get an appointment at the US embassy after the NVC completed your case? It used to be that if the NVC completed the case before the 15th-16th day of the month, they would give you an appointment for the following month. If they completed it after those dates, they would give you an appointment for the month after. I've heard that it's taken a lot longer for the embassy in Bogota to give appointment dates for people whose cases have already been completed by the NVC. :unsure:

Thanks!

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

I have a question for the people who filed for a CR1/IR1 visa. Can you please tell me how long it took for you to get an appointment at the US embassy after the NVC completed your case? It used to be that if the NVC completed the case before the 15th-16th day of the month, they would give you an appointment for the following month. If they completed it after those dates, they would give you an appointment for the month after. I've heard that it's taken a lot longer for the embassy in Bogota to give appointment dates for people whose cases have already been completed by the NVC. :unsure:

Thanks!

Diana

unfortunately you are right about this. I have not completed NVC yet (hell, I havent even started =/ ) but from what I have seen, it is taking an average of 3 months from SIF at NVC....definitely not encouraging news for me.

7/2/10- NOA1

2/9/11- NOA2 (transferred to Texas)

NVC

2/28/11- case number received

3/2/11- Paid AOS bill

3/5/11- Paid IV bill

3/12/11- expedite to Bogota consulate approved!!!

3/14/11- left NVC to Bogota for further processing

3/17/11- received by Bogota, emailed consulate and was told to send DS-230 and DS-2100 (packet 3)

3/18/11- packet 3 emailed to Bogota consulate, email confirmation on March 23

3/31/11- Interview date! Approved!!!!!!

Keep the faith, everything works out for the very best

Timeline

unfortunately you are right about this. I have not completed NVC yet (hell, I havent even started =/ ) but from what I have seen, it is taking an average of 3 months from SIF at NVC....definitely not encouraging news for me.

Well, the good thing is, actually the GREAT thing is, your wife won't have to deal with AOS after she arrives. Gotta look at the glass as half full... always. :star:

By the way, have you seen the EZGuideSpouse info? It'll give you all the shortcuts you can take at the NVC to shorten the process.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

yep! thanks Diana :)

7/2/10- NOA1

2/9/11- NOA2 (transferred to Texas)

NVC

2/28/11- case number received

3/2/11- Paid AOS bill

3/5/11- Paid IV bill

3/12/11- expedite to Bogota consulate approved!!!

3/14/11- left NVC to Bogota for further processing

3/17/11- received by Bogota, emailed consulate and was told to send DS-230 and DS-2100 (packet 3)

3/18/11- packet 3 emailed to Bogota consulate, email confirmation on March 23

3/31/11- Interview date! Approved!!!!!!

Keep the faith, everything works out for the very best

Timeline

I'm very excited!... :wow:

A few weeks ago we got a notice that our case was "being transferred to the California Service Center for quicker processing" and didn't attach any special significance to it at the time, just a bit of confusion over why. Now our status on the I-485 online has gone to the "Document/Card Production" column. After reviewing the step by step guide for AOS filing once again, I now see this paragraph:

"Interview Exception. In some cases a beneficiary's Adjustment of Status case may be transfered to the California Service Center (possibly another location) where the CIS will attempt to complete processing without requirinig an "in person" interview. There is no particular way to know if this will happen to your case however if this does happen then you will not be required to attend an interview in person. If the I-485 is approved the beneficiary's green card will simply be mailed to them."

Am I correct in assuming that we have most likely fallen into this category and will soon have a green card arriving in the mail without having to go through the interview stage? We're prepared for an interview and are sure we would easily satisfy them with our answers & supporting materials, but if they are satisfied that we can be approved without that stressful encounter, so much the better. Anyone else had this happen recently who can comment?...

VanessaDanA600x450.jpg

10-11-2008 Dan & Vanessa First Meet Online

01-15-2009 Dan's First Visit To Vanessa In Colombia

06-27-2009 We Are Engaged!

07-01-2009 Vanessa Asks Her Long Estranged Panamanian Ex For An Official Divorce

10-12-2009 Panama Approves Vanessa's Divorce But DOESN'T MAIL HER ANY NOTICE!!!

01-15-2010 We FINALLY Obtain A Div Cert From The Footdragging Idiots In Panama

02-25-2010 Our Completed I-129 Application Package Dropped Off With The Lawyer

03-01-2010 Lawyer Finds & Fixes Several Errors & Submits Package to VSC

03-10-2010 NOA-1

03-15-2010 Touched

06-01-2010 NOA-2

06-03-2010 NVC Received & New Case # Issued

06-15-2010 NVC Finally Sent File To Bogota Embassy

06-17-2010 DHL Delivers To Bogota Embassy (and disappears in the mail room for 4 days!)

06-22-2010 E-mailed Completed Packet 3 Forms To Embassy Requesting Interview Date

06-29-2010 DOS Confirms By Phone That We Have An Embassy Interview Date On 12 August!

08-12-2010 Interview Successful But Vanessa Must Return With Missing Paperwork For Final Approval

09-01-2010 Papers Now In Hand BUT Can't Get A New Appointment Until 12 Days After Calling PIN

09-13-2010 Vanessa is APPROVED At Follow-up Interview, Awaiting Visa Delivery In 8 - 10 Business Days

10-03-2010 Planned POE In Fort Lauderdale Florida

10-30-2010 Planned Wedding In Orlando Florida

Click On This Link To See Dan's Video Love Song To Vanessa

Timeline

I'm very excited!... :wow:

A few weeks ago we got a notice that our case was "being transferred to the California Service Center for quicker processing" and didn't attach any special significance to it at the time, just a bit of confusion over why. Now our status on the I-485 online has gone to the "Document/Card Production" column. After reviewing the step by step guide for AOS filing once again, I now see this paragraph:

"Interview Exception. In some cases a beneficiary's Adjustment of Status case may be transfered to the California Service Center (possibly another location) where the CIS will attempt to complete processing without requirinig an "in person" interview. There is no particular way to know if this will happen to your case however if this does happen then you will not be required to attend an interview in person. If the I-485 is approved the beneficiary's green card will simply be mailed to them."

Am I correct in assuming that we have most likely fallen into this category and will soon have a green card arriving in the mail without having to go through the interview stage? We're prepared for an interview and are sure we would easily satisfy them with our answers & supporting materials, but if they are satisfied that we can be approved without that stressful encounter, so much the better. Anyone else had this happen recently who can comment?...

thats wonderful news!! that was really fast! let us know when Vanessa receives her green card!!!! yay!

Timeline

Guys

I am back to the same question which has been a large part of the confusion I've struggle with for the duration of our visa journey..

As some of you know, my Now-Wife, K1 Beneficiary, has an 8 year old daughter still living in Colombia with her father (daughters father).. As part of the K-1 Petition, I included her daughter in the Petition as the K2 Beneficiary. when we set up our appointment at the Embassy in Bogota, I also included all the forms for her daughter, (DS230, and DS156K, DS156, and So forth).. We did not have the Fathers Permision, but felt he would provide the needed permission with the year. The CO at the Embassy told we could schedule the interview separately within one year.. We are still hoping for the permision from the father and will hopefully be able to do the Visa for her at a latter date..

So now, some new thoughts have come to mind.. As it turns out, my wifes parents are applying for a tourist visa. And it seems they are in good shape and able to show good ties back to Colombia, fanancials and so-forth... what we were wondering is, it would be soo cool if we could also do a Tourist Visa in the meantime for my wife's daugter.

With the pending K2 and the fact that she's 8 years old (A Minor), what would we need to show for a minor to have compelling ties to back to Colombia.. Now one thing that comes to mind here is the father.. He would more than likely allow the daughter to come visit for a period of time, but may not be ready to let her immigrate permanently.. Does that carry any wieght for "ties". What I mean is, if the daughter does not have permision to stay permanently, then that shows a compelling reason for the daughter to return..

Other than the father of course who still must allow the minor to visit, he would not currently allow his daugther to permanently immigrate at this time...

We feel the permission for his daugter (my wifes daughter) will come later this year with a personal visit from My wife to Colombia to work out the details of an agreement we intend to make with him for his permission. But in the meantime, we're hoping there is an interim solution like the possibilty of obtaining a Visitors visa.

One other thought that seems to be boucing around in the empty space between my ears is the AOS for her daughter. Today, I am ready to send in the AOS Papers for my wife. So, when we finally have her daughter here, do I need to do the whole thing over again for her.. Does an 8 yr old have the same requirements as her mom as far as staying in the US? what if she must travel to Colombia to spend part of the year with her father? Will that result in the abandonment of the Resident Card?

I'm sorry if I ask some questions that may seem obvious to anyone else, but it seems that if USCIS doesn't realize that foriegn partners sometime have these issue like the need to have one of the parents abroad and the other in the US and bot parents want to be a part of the childs life, it would seem natural to have some accomadations for that in the AOS Process and Immigration Process...

Anyone, please take your time and consider these questions carefully and if there are things that I did not include which you need to know to answer me, please ask...

Thanks for everyones help on this matter..

Kenny

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hey Kenny...

I don't know of all the details on how a tourist visa would/wouldn't affect a future K-2, but I can tell you that I a 7 y/o would have to AOS just like an adult. The only difference is they don't need biometrics (if under 14). That said, because it would be a stand-alone application (not with her mother's) the cost would be $985 ($1070-$85 for biometrics).

Also, children are subject to the same AOS rules as far as foreign travel goes. Any potential shared custody agreement would need to take that into account. However, a legally binding need to return to her father in Colombia seems as good a reason as any (to me) to qualify for and get an AP approved, potentially on an immediate basis.

Good luck

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.