Eveline

*Baby Corner*

5,409 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Here's a site that lists the pros and cons of Ergo vs. Bjorn.

http://www.myfavoritebabycarrier.com/compa...baby_bjorn.html

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thanks for all the input on the carseat. I think we will end up getting the Graco Snugride 32.

Regarding strollers, maybe this sounds weird or naive, but I feel like I wouldn't get a lot of use out of it. I plan to use a Moby Wrap and I can't think of a situation where I would need a stroller instead of the wrap.

Timeline

@Jenn: A wrap is a great thing while baby is small. HOwever the t-shrit material of the wrap tends to strech once they get a little heavier AND if you baby does just not want to be carried, you might want to consider a stroller. Adam was a great baby that wanted to be worn...Allie however, I couldn't get in the carrier. Maybe you can try how it goes and still get a stroller once your babe is here. I thought I could go without a double stroller for the kids but hten Allie didn't play along and I got a cheapo handmedown double stroller for 60 bucks. Best thing ever.

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
@Jenn: A wrap is a great thing while baby is small. HOwever the t-shrit material of the wrap tends to strech once they get a little heavier AND if you baby does just not want to be carried, you might want to consider a stroller. Adam was a great baby that wanted to be worn...Allie however, I couldn't get in the carrier. Maybe you can try how it goes and still get a stroller once your babe is here. I thought I could go without a double stroller for the kids but hten Allie didn't play along and I got a cheapo handmedown double stroller for 60 bucks. Best thing ever.

Yeah, I guess I'll wait and see how it goes. I'd like to wear him for as long as possible, if he'll have it.

When in Morocco, I noticed that they wear the babies for a long time. In the front while infants, and then in the back when older, just using a scarf as a wrap. It just looked to be so convenient - they did everything with the baby right with them - I don't think I ever saw any strollers there.

I'm sure certain family members will insist that I must have a stroller though, so I guess I'll register for a travel system to make them happy. :lol:

Timeline

I loved wearing Adam and I like wearing Allie whenever she has a good day. She won't stay in the MeiTai for longer than 30 minutes though but it makes grocery shopping VERY fast since I have to run in, grab everything,make sure Adam is still around and run off to pay :)

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Jenn, I too find it fascinating how they wear their babies on their backs when they're a little older, it seems more convenient, of course some might get paranoid thinking someone is gonna snatch them from their back but I can see how it's much easier to shop for groceries or walk in more crowded spaces with the baby on my back than on a stroller.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

@ Jenn - I got a Graco travel system and loved it. Mine had a Safeseat infant carrier which went up to 32 pounds also. I however have a very tall, skinny little boy. Weight wise, he could still fit in the infant carrier now and he is 13 months, but we had to get a convertible seat a little while back because lengthwise, he was so tall that he outgrew the carrier.

I registered at both Target and Babies r Us and got things from both lists.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Get a good MeiTai as a carrier or the Ergo. No Snugli or Bjorn or whatever, especially when you have a little boy ALL of his weight is gonna be on his crotch. It's better to get something more ergonomical, especially since baby has an unnatural position in the Bjorn when worn forward facing (which unfortunately a lot of parents do).

:thumbs: This is great advice. A good meitai or even a good ring sling (not a pouch) for when they are in the infant stages. I have been told by tons of babywearers to avoid all the "common" carriers (peanut pouches, bjorn, infantino etc) that you will find in BRU and other places and get carriers from the net.

Edited by Yaads

Timeline
Thanks for all the input on the carseat. I think we will end up getting the Graco Snugride 32.

Regarding strollers, maybe this sounds weird or naive, but I feel like I wouldn't get a lot of use out of it. I plan to use a Moby Wrap and I can't think of a situation where I would need a stroller instead of the wrap.

I think the same way you do. I really can't imagine using the stroller that much but like Eveline mentioned if the baby doesn't like to be carried it will become a necessity. I am going to register for a stroller just in case and think it will be my mom and others that take the baby places that will use it. I haven't quite talked them into the babywearing thing.

Timeline

One way to avoid this and get more use out of your wrap is to get a wrap that is made out of a woven material and isn't quite so stretchy. It can be harder to master the art of wrapping but it should last longer for ya. If you are for sure hoping to babywear I would invest in a woven wrap if you aren't sure about the babywearing thing and just want to try it out then I would start with a moby and you can always "upgrade" later. All this depends of course on how the baby cooperates :lol:

I am trying to get a variety of carriers so I have a selection to choose from and if something doesn't work for me and baby there is always the opportunity to resell them. So far I have two Oopa ring slings, a gypsymama woven wrap and I am still looking at what type of meitai to invest in. Plus DH is becoming more and more interested in BW'ing so hopefully I will by something for him too.

Any recommendations on a good meitai seller?

Edited by Yaads

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm considering a wrap also, but I haven't narrowed it down enough yet -- even thought about trying to make my own. I like the travel system, and I'll probably go with that. J doesn't see the need for an "SUV stroller," as he calls them, but I anticipate pushing the baby for a lot of walks while I'm trying to shape up. I think I could go shopping or even do some housework with a wrap, but I think walking for exercise would be easier with the stroller.

Jenn, I've seen a picture of the American son of friends of ours strapped to his Moroccan grandmother's back when he went to visit her in Morocco for the first time. He looked as happy as a clam.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline

In Germany they sell carriers that look like a oversized bedsheet. You can get them online but they are pretty expensive. I'll check for some links.

Babyhawk is pretty good for a meitai brand. I have a cheapo MT from 'bundlewithlove.com' which I really like. It might not be as fancy like the other ones but it really worked for me with Adam. He spent hours in there sleeping.

Here's a link to Didymos..they make slings but it's hard to put them on...you'll definitely need some help from a partner at first. In Germany they actually have classes on how you tie them up.

http://www.didymos.de/english/index.php

ETA: it also explains why not to carry baby forward facing unless it's on your back.

Edited by Eveline

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think the same way you do. I really can't imagine using the stroller that much but like Eveline mentioned if the baby doesn't like to be carried it will become a necessity. I am going to register for a stroller just in case and think it will be my mom and others that take the baby places that will use it. I haven't quite talked them into the babywearing thing.

You'll be amazed how that few pounds of dead weight can start to feel real heavy real quick when you go to the mall or out walking. I didnt get a stroller until Amirah was about 5 weeks old and I thought I would not use it much, but within a week I was wondering how I ever did without it.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

You just never know how babies will react to slings, etc. either. I loved the idea of wearing a sling or a carrier, but Declan hated it and screamed bloody murder. So unfortunately, the stroller ended up being the only option.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png