DrayChan

preparing to file I-129F, Questions about Criminal Record

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I have a criminal record I think. Back 15 yrs or more ago, when I was married I was cited for Domestic Violence, I threw a sweater at the ex and it left a mark on her neck. Was not arrested but given a ticket, and made to go to anger management classes. Will this affect my application to bring my fiance in to the states?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have a criminal record I think. Back 15 yrs or more ago, when I was married I was cited for Domestic Violence, I threw a sweater at the ex and it left a mark on her neck. Was not arrested but given a ticket, and made to go to anger management classes. Will this affect my application to bring my fiance in to the states?

If you weren't convicted of a crime then you do not have a criminal record. However your arrest may or may not be in the national database. Your details are sketchy but I'm guessing you got a conditional discharge (the term changes depending on where you are at... for example it's called Adjornment Contemplating Dismissal in New York). Basically you stay out of trouble for 6 months to a year & in your case take an anger management class (sometimes its community service) & the charge is dismissed.

Consult an attorney... I was a criminal justice major so I know something about the law but I'm not a lawyer.

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

You can find out online in many states and localities. The court records are public documents and if yours aren't online, go to the courthouse where you appeared at that time. If your name is not there, there is nothing to worry about.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
You can find out online in many states and localities. The court records are public documents and if yours aren't online, go to the courthouse where you appeared at that time. If your name is not there, there is nothing to worry about.

True but a lot of the online searches cost money and worse many are not legit. If he could find a legit source to run a records check that would work, but how would he confirm the source is legit?

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You should get a criminal records check and see if it appears, this seems to be the most reliable I should think.

Bit confusing - how does throwing a sweater at someone leave a mark on their neck? Or did you mean you threw a sweater at them and you left a mark on their neck some other way?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

You should get a criminal records check and see if it appears, this seems to be the most reliable I should think.

Bit confusing - how does throwing a sweater at someone leave a mark on their neck? Or did you mean you threw a sweater at them and you left a mark on their neck some other way?

Thanks for all the help. For the record, the drawstring on the hoddie sweatshirt went around her neck and left a mark. Unfortunately, she knew how to play that game, she actually instigated it by hitting me and I ended it by walking away and threw the sweatshirt. Now I know better, but there won't be a next time. Live and learn. Again thanks for your help everyone, I think I will go get a copy of my records from the Hall of Justice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.