EdwardK

Anyone use a lawyer for immigration packet?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I decided to use an immigration lawyer for my K1 Fiance visa. Everything has been going great so far and I received an approval letter from the Visa Center and waiting on a packet from the embassy.

But when I asked if I can get a copy of the packet so I can have the information available to me they told me they can't give out those documents (they aren't allowed). This doesn't make any sense to me, they filled out the paper work but it is my paperwork and information. (signed a power of attorney form to allow them to create the packet)

Anyone know why they wouldn't want me to get a copy of my packet? I already paid so they aren't getting any more money if they keep me in the dark.

It is Really strange.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I decided to use an immigration lawyer for my K1 Fiance visa. Everything has been going great so far and I received an approval letter from the Visa Center and waiting on a packet from the embassy.

But when I asked if I can get a copy of the packet so I can have the information available to me they told me they can't give out those documents (they aren't allowed). This doesn't make any sense to me, they filled out the paper work but it is my paperwork and information. (signed a power of attorney form to allow them to create the packet)

Anyone know why they wouldn't want me to get a copy of my packet? I already paid so they aren't getting any more money if they keep me in the dark.

It is Really strange.

as far as i know the attorney has to provide u with copies of anything u request that is in ur file

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

It is Really strange.

Edward they have to give you a copy of your file, or the file all together. It's yours, not the attoneys.

Usually a call from another attorney will get this file in your possession quickly.

If you want to complain, call your State Bar

This is not legal advice.............(I learned that from someone here :))

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

just because im the type of person that i am i would start to question them what did u do what answers did u give i want to see it now to make sure all u put for answers are correct so there is not any problem at the interview........they should have given u copies to say yes this is all correct before it was even sent off to the service center

just my own opinion

sara

Timeline

My attorney has given me copies of everything they have done. Most likely they don't want to give you the file because they expect you to use them for AOS, and they don't want you using what they have done.

Best thing to do is send a certified letter requesting a copy of all the documents by such and such date.

The certified letter is so you know they received the letter.

The letter is your proof, that you have requested a copy of your file.

If they don't hand it over by the date in the letter, then file a complaint with the state bar, and you will have the proof they received the letter and did not comply.

Here is a little information on the subject:

http://research.lawyers.com/What-Happens-t...-Attorneys.html

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It is Really strange.

Why do so many immigration lawyers suck?

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It is Really strange.

It is inevitable an immigration attorney will lie to you. They have to. If they did not lie, NO ONE would use them as they ar completly useless and have added weeks to your case (or will).

Not only is it "not right" the information you asked for is available free in the public domain. You can download the packet from the embassy website right into your home computer (or the one at the library for that matter) and print out all the copies you want. Then you can hand those out to anyone you want. Feel better now?

If I were you and had just found out I had been snookered, I would be in the attorneys office early Monday morning demanding the lying sack of dogs**t return my money...I prefer CASH.

Also if this schiester isn't already filling out packet 3 for you (he/she could have started on it with your petition filing) they are RIGHT NOW delaying your case by weeks and weeks!!!! Download the packet 3 now, dump this bottom feeding con man, and finish the filing yourself. The money you pay this jerk will get your fiancee here and pay for YOUR children's ducation , not his.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It is Really strange.

Sorry if I missed the point, you want YOUR packet? Of course they have to give it to you, it is YOURS.

They do not want to because:

A. You will see how little they do for their money

B. The AOS is a near duplicate re-submission of forms excpt for marriage license and I-94. vrything in your I-129 and embassy packet can be copied (as needed) and sent with your AOS and they want to do that also, hey, when they get a sucker they are not going to be happy until they gut you completely. I will acknowledge I am not the first to suggest this answer and give due credit to the answers above.

c. ALL else I said about lawyers I repeat here.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.