Arazia

Joint Living Arrangements

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Just a quick question.

My parents own a house in Illinois, and one in Wisconsin. They moved to Wisconsin years ago, and rent the house in Illinois to my husband and I (bottom floor) and my brother and his girlfriend (top floor). I was planning on including copies of my paycheck stubs, my husband's paycheck stubs (stubs showing same mailing/home address), and an affidavit from my mother (aka. our landlord) stating that we rent the bottom floor of the house from them.

Do you think this would be enough to cover the joint living arrangements?

Edited by Arazia

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Just a quick question.

My parents own a house in Illinois, and one in Wisconsin. They moved to Wisconsin years ago, and rent the house in Illinois to my husband and I (bottom floor) and my brother and his girlfriend (top floor). I was planning on including copies of my paycheck stubs, my husband's paycheck stubs (stubs showing same mailing/home address), and an affidavit from my mother (aka. our landlord) stating that we rent the bottom floor of the house from them.

It's a start.

Any joint financial arrangements (i.e. joint bank account statements, joint credit cards, joint auto loans etc etc anything like that) would also help.

As a general rule - the more the better in order to avoid a possible RFE later on.

What you mention already though would certainly be a good base...

I-751 Process

=============

03/11/08 - Check Cashed by TSC, invalid SRC# on back along with a VLCXX reference.

03/31/08 - Had infopass appointment, got I-551 stamp and Trackable receipt number

04/09/08 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter.

04/18/08 - Biometrics Appointment 10am.

04/18/08 - Transferred to Vermont from TSC

06/16/08 - Online Status reports transfer received by Vermont

11/03/08 - Online Status Shows Touched!

01/13/09 - Online Status Shows Touched!

01/20/09 - Approved!

01/26/09 - New Card Received!

N-400 Process

=============

12/29/08 - Application mailed to TSC

12/30/08 - Arrived at TSC - Forwarded to Nat. Ben. Ctr, TX

12/31/08 - Arrived at Nat. Ben. Ctr, TX

01/02/09 - Priority Date

01/05/09 - NOA1 Mailed

01/06/09 - Check Cashed

01/09/09 - NOA1 Received (Priority Date of 01/02/09, Some data missing from form)

01/10/09 - Case Touched!

01/27/09 - Duplicate NOA1 Received (Missing Data filled in, was mailed on 01/24/09)

02/28/09 - Interview Letter Received

04/06/09 - Naturalization interview

04/06/09 - Interview Passed!

04/22/09 - Oath Ceremony!

04/22/09 - US Citizen at Last!

Timeline

No utility bills. The only utility we pay for directly is cable internet and that can only be in one name.

I'm already planning on showing the joint financials (bank accounts, credit cards, 401ks, etc) as part of a different section. I'm just trying to figure out if what I have is enough to cover just the part about 'joint housing'.

Filed: Timeline
No utility bills. The only utility we pay for directly is cable internet and that can only be in one name.

I'm already planning on showing the joint financials (bank accounts, credit cards, 401ks, etc) as part of a different section. I'm just trying to figure out if what I have is enough to cover just the part about 'joint housing'.

Phone the cable company and ask to have your utility bill include both your names. Our Comcast bill is joint, as are all out utility bills; but in some cases you do have to request it.

Health insurance bills? Car insurance? Credit card bills? Bank statements showing same address? Driver licenses showing same address?

Get affidavits from street neighbors, if you are friendly with them.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Phone the cable company and ask to have your utility bill include both your names. Our Comcast bill is joint, as are all out utility bills; but in some cases you do have to request it.

Health insurance bills? Car insurance? Credit card bills? Bank statements showing same address? Driver licenses showing same address?

Get affidavits from street neighbors, if you are friendly with them.

hi len, so it is possible to joint the cable bill? i call the time warner cable customer service and the rep had no idea if its possible. Can u tell me how it can be done? Im planning to go to the closest time warner office to get it done. Does my wife have to be present if u know?

Just a quick question.

Hi Arazia,

We are in a similar situation. We work at a non-profit where part of our salary is paid housing...we have no utility bills and can't really show joint ownership of anything like a house or car. I am asking our employer to write a letter stating that housing is part of our salary and paid by our employer. I'm also asking co-workers for affidavits. I am going to include copies of correspondence in both our names...also, I have copied checks throughout the two years made out to both of us. We have letters addressed to both of us at the same address from the IRS. I am including what I can of those things. It makes me feel better knowing that other people are in the same situation.

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline
Just a quick question.

I would add DL showing same address, joint car insurance, affidavit from your MIL, invitation or greeting cards sent to each or both of you on the address.

We were on month to month lease when we submit so we did not have my name on the lease agreement - I only had utility bill under joint name. It was not a problem for us but we do show a lot of joint financial arrangements.

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Driver's license, car insurance, any piece of mail that comes to the address (we save a couple Christmas cards) in one or both of your names.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

i would save anything that had your name on it that comes in the mail, also other than a letter from your parents, maybe prep a lease/rental agreement in case you need more info just in case... just a little stating you both live/rent there, from what time, rent, etc. Since your rental is most likely verbal, maybe just put it on a sheet of paper.

Mailed N-400 March 6th via priority certified mail and Rec'd 9th (confirmation by USPS)

NOA rec'd: 3/19/2009 (date 3/16/2009, priority 3/9/2009)

Biometrics rec'd 3/26/2009, appt 4/9/2009

IL: 5/22/09

ID: 07/06/2009

Oath: 07/16/2009

SSN updated: 7/16/2009 (not received yet)

Passport rec'd: 8/15/2009(nat. certif not rec'd yet)

Timeline

Essentially, my parents don't have a rental/lease agreement and they won't write one up. They are retired and living on fixed income and if it's written up officially they would have to claim it as income and would lose part of their social security benefits due to it. My mother will be writing to say that we live in the house, and we pay for the utilities. The rest I plan on establishing with joint bank accounts, joint credit cards, pay stubs, and school-bills sent to the same address.

I am in a similar situation. I sublet a couple of rooms from my Wifes parents. They rent the house and we sub let a few rooms.

I was thinking of having a letter drawn up explaining the arrangements and having my Father IN Law sign it and possibly notarize to make it official.

Is this considered evidence?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.