procrastinator

IO says can't take a decision yet after the interview

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Zambia
Timeline

I have heard that in some cases the IO says after the interview that we can't take a decision about the approval yet and you will be notified in mail later. And then people wait for months and hear nothing from the uscis. This has happened to atleast 1 person I know and his fault was that he didn't notify the uscis of his change in addresses during the last few years. I didn't do so either, and now I am worried that I might have to go through the same thing. Anybody has more info regarding this?

Thanks in advance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

ya, happened to me. Was an "extra" file in which they had to retrieve from the central holding area. I passed the written and oral exams, but thanks to that file had to wait. About 1 month later got an letter for my oath ceremony, Which was approx 2 months after the initial interview. not a big deal, not much one can do about it. One can just send in the stuff they ask for, study for the exam. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline
This has happened to atleast 1 person I know and his fault was that he didn't notify the uscis of his change in addresses during the last few years. I didn't do so either, and now I am worried that I might have to go through the same thing. Anybody has more info regarding this?

Yes. I hate to be a #######, but this kind of thing is why most people treat immigration with some respect from the start. If you can't be bothered to follow the basic instructions from USCIS (until it's in your best interests to do so), then why do you suddenly expect USCIS to be bothered to show you any courtesy in return?

This has happened to atleast 1 person I know and his fault was that he didn't notify the uscis of his change in addresses during the last few years. I didn't do so either, and now I am worried that I might have to go through the same thing. Anybody has more info regarding this?

Yes. I hate to be a #######, but this kind of thing is why most people treat immigration with some respect from the start. If you can't be bothered to follow the basic instructions from USCIS (until it's in your best interests to do so), then why do you suddenly expect USCIS to be bothered to show you any courtesy in return?

It's always in one's best interests to follow the instructions. Failing to do so sucks for the applicant, as in this gentleman's case who had to wait 2 extra months to get his citizenship. Sorry, but why does it bother YOU if someone screws up costing themselves time and money? This whole bulletin board EXISTS so that we can better follow USCIS rules and get through this process as quickly and painlessly as possible.

It's a shame you hate to be a #######, b/c you make a pretty good one.

Edited by Thomas and Milena

DCF London

2007-08-09 Married

2008-02-15 (Day 1) Filed I-130 for CR-1

2008-02-20 (Day 6) Received RFE

2008-02-21 (Day 7) Returned RFE

2008-02-26 (Day 12) Credit card charged $355

2008-05-15 (Day 92) Received RFE

2008-05-16 (Day 93) Returned RFE

2008-06-11 (Day 119) Received RFE in the form of face-to-face interview on 17 June.

2008-06-17 (Day 125) RFE interview

2008-06-23 (Day 131) Received Packet 3

2008-06-24 (Day 132) Returned Checklist, DS-230

2008-07-03 (Day 141) Received Packet 4

2008-07-09 (Day 147) Medical (approved)

2008-07-18 (Day 158) Interview (approved)

2008-07-22 (Day 162) Passport and visa in hand

2008-07-25 (Day 165) POE - Atlanta, GA

ROC

2010-05-25 (Day 1) Mailed off I-751, check, and evidence to VSC

2010-06-07 (Day 15) Received NOA1, dated 2010-05-27

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Received Bio Appt letter, scheduled for 2010-08-16; will be out of town

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Mailed off request for new appointment date

2011-05-23 (Day 363) Biometrics appointment

2011-07-11 (Day 412) Conditions Removed

N-400

2012-10-23 (Day 1) Mailed N-400 Application (PHX)

2012-12-06 (Day 44) Biometrics appointment (PHX)

2013-01-29 (Day 98) Interview (approved)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

oopss I missed the "didnt change the address " statement!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I received my greencard in 1999, never got a Welcome letter. I didn't even know I had to file an AR-11 and my sponsor had to inform USCIS of address changes also, until I started reading in immigration forums a few years ago. And a lot of people who received their greencards in the '80s and '90s never heard of the fact that they have to report address changes. I think this regulation had been neclegted for many years until 9/11 happened and the government became more strict about the country's immigrants and immigration laws. I know people who have renewed their greencards several times without any problems even though they never had filed an AR-11 after they had moved (several times). But of course, if you do know the law, you definitely should follow the rules.

It's always in one's best interests to follow the instructions. Failing to do so sucks for the applicant, as in this gentleman's case who had to wait 2 extra months to get his citizenship. Sorry, but why does it bother YOU if someone screws up costing themselves time and money? This whole bulletin board EXISTS so that we can better follow USCIS rules and get through this process as quickly and painlessly as possible.

It's a shame you hate to be a #######, b/c you make a pretty good one.

Settle down people. No need for this on the boards.

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

Filed: Timeline

Get over yourself.

It doesn't bother me one little bit. I was merely pointing out the fact that since the OP didn't care enough to follow the USCIS rules in the first place, is he really surprised that his past behavior is coming back to haunt him now?

Perhaps if more people were a little quicker to condemn behavior that is clearly detrimental to the smooth running of the system, we all wouldn't all have to wait 6 months to be naturalized? It's cases like the OP that slow things down for everyone, simply because he basically couldn't be bothered to play by the rules.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have heard that in some cases the IO says after the interview that we can't take a decision about the approval yet and you will be notified in mail later. And then people wait for months and hear nothing from the uscis. This has happened to atleast 1 person I know and his fault was that he didn't notify the uscis of his change in addresses during the last few years. I didn't do so either, and now I am worried that I might have to go through the same thing. Anybody has more info regarding this?

Thanks in advance.

Well the IO will give you a white sheet with the pending decision checked over and it states that to allow around 4 months (I think) for them to decide on your citizenship. If it goes over the number of months you can call them or set up an infopass to follow it up. IMHO, a change of address is not that big of a deal but you might have to check on other immigration forums and see if someone also has that similar situation.

"One moment of patience may ward off great disaster. One moment of impatience may ruin a whole life."

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F NOA1 : Oct 3, 2008

Interview for AOS: approved on Dec 16, 2009

Greencard received: January 4, 2010

Get over yourself.

It doesn't bother me one little bit. I was merely pointing out the fact that since the OP didn't care enough to follow the USCIS rules in the first place, is he really surprised that his past behavior is coming back to haunt him now?

Perhaps if more people were a little quicker to condemn behavior that is clearly detrimental to the smooth running of the system, we all wouldn't all have to wait 6 months to be naturalized? It's cases like the OP that slow things down for everyone, simply because he basically couldn't be bothered to play by the rules.

Perhaps. But as Stella said, it's a pretty common mistake. I for one did not know we had to notify USCIS of address changes, but then again, we haven't changed addresses. Again, this board exists so we can help each other out and save ourselves - and others - untold headaches and time.

My only point was that the applicant probably cared a great deal, but made an honest mistake. Mistakes can haunt as much as negligence, however, as you so bluntly put, Jickser.

DCF London

2007-08-09 Married

2008-02-15 (Day 1) Filed I-130 for CR-1

2008-02-20 (Day 6) Received RFE

2008-02-21 (Day 7) Returned RFE

2008-02-26 (Day 12) Credit card charged $355

2008-05-15 (Day 92) Received RFE

2008-05-16 (Day 93) Returned RFE

2008-06-11 (Day 119) Received RFE in the form of face-to-face interview on 17 June.

2008-06-17 (Day 125) RFE interview

2008-06-23 (Day 131) Received Packet 3

2008-06-24 (Day 132) Returned Checklist, DS-230

2008-07-03 (Day 141) Received Packet 4

2008-07-09 (Day 147) Medical (approved)

2008-07-18 (Day 158) Interview (approved)

2008-07-22 (Day 162) Passport and visa in hand

2008-07-25 (Day 165) POE - Atlanta, GA

ROC

2010-05-25 (Day 1) Mailed off I-751, check, and evidence to VSC

2010-06-07 (Day 15) Received NOA1, dated 2010-05-27

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Received Bio Appt letter, scheduled for 2010-08-16; will be out of town

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Mailed off request for new appointment date

2011-05-23 (Day 363) Biometrics appointment

2011-07-11 (Day 412) Conditions Removed

N-400

2012-10-23 (Day 1) Mailed N-400 Application (PHX)

2012-12-06 (Day 44) Biometrics appointment (PHX)

2013-01-29 (Day 98) Interview (approved)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.