Chrissy25

England

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I was considering moving back when I met my husband. It wasn't going to be a permanent move, though. Just a change of scenery for a few years. I haven't ruled it out, but now I'm more inclined to think I may just go back for a month or two out of the year. Kind of like what I already do now. :lol:

iagree.gif

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welshie -- I'm a Connecticut girl, born and bred. If you ever want any tips on stuff to do/places to visit or live, let me know! I miss it terribly there and wish I were back in CT, even with the ridiculous winter they're having this year.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
We are already working on moving back.

Welshie ~ Really?

Yeh, I'm totally miserable here and it doesn't help that he misses the UK just as much :lol: Unless he gets the job he has applied for in Connecticut I think we will be back before the end of the year.

Aww, I'm sorry luvvy. I know you were so excited to move over here and then *BAM* you hate it. :(

Perhaps, rather than a move back to Wales, a move to a different part of the states (like Connnnnecticut) would be good (if hubby gets the job).

If not, sometimes you don't realise how much you love a place until you are no longer there. I wish you happiness, wherever you may end up! :luv:

Welshie -- I'm a Connecticut girl, born and bred. If you ever want any tips on stuff to do/places to visit or live, let me know! I miss it terribly there and wish I were back in CT, even with the ridiculous winter they're having this year.

Thanks! I'll remember that :thumbs:

Perhaps, rather than a move back to Wales, a move to a different part of the states (like Connnnnecticut) would be good (if hubby gets the job).

We have been giving this a thought too...I guess we need to find a place that was close to our lifestyle in the UK :)

I think you'd find some of the sleepier towns in Connecticut might be more to your liking than Florida. When I took my husband (back before he was just my boyfriend, not even my fiance) back home to meet my parents he fell in love with the place completely. He is far more homesick now for CT than England. People are more like what you're used to as well, and there are plenty of folks from the UK all over the state. My local supermarkets stocked tons of British goods as well -- very useful when you need a Mint Viscount!

Filed: Timeline
We are already working on moving back.

Welshie ~ Really?

Yeh, I'm totally miserable here and it doesn't help that he misses the UK just as much :lol: Unless he gets the job he has applied for in Connecticut I think we will be back before the end of the year.

What don't you like about it, Welshie? I'm up in Lake County and I love it here. But I chose a town which most reminded me of home so I feel a connection with it. I agree that you need to do something like that in order to help with the adjustment.

iagree.gif

I think you'd find some of the sleepier towns in Connecticut might be more to your liking than Florida. When I took my husband (back before he was just my boyfriend, not even my fiance) back home to meet my parents he fell in love with the place completely. He is far more homesick now for CT than England. People are more like what you're used to as well, and there are plenty of folks from the UK all over the state. My local supermarkets stocked tons of British goods as well -- very useful when you need a Mint Viscount!

Mint Viscounts huh....I feel a drive to Conneticut in order! Whats the name of the supermarket Elm??

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

i posted this in off topic but maybe you could help me here

We applied a little while back for a UK visa for hubby, we got the visa and are now leaning towards staying in the US. We have untill the end of feb before the visa expires, if we dont use it what will happen to the visa and plus if we want to reapply at a later date will we have problems? I'm pregnant right now and its just 2 stressful

Chrissy UK (Yorkshire) John USA (Minnesota)

20/July/05 Married in Las Vegas!!

AOS approved April 12th 2006!!

4/01/08 mailed I-751 to Nebraska

4/3/08 package arrives at Nebraska

4/11/08 check cashed

4/14/08 recieved NOA extension letter

4/26/08 recieved biometrics appointment letter plus it looks like our case has been forwarded to California!

5/02/08 Biometrics scheduled

5/02/08 Biometrics completed in 10 mins!

Woo Hoo....8/28/08 Recieved 10yr Greencard in mail, no approved email!! We are done!!!

.png

.png

Mint Viscounts huh....I feel a drive to Conneticut in order! Whats the name of the supermarket Elm??

You can get them at Shaw's Supermarket in Hamden or the Stop & Shop in Amity, both off Route 15 (the Merritt Parkway). Also Lucozade, Lion bars, Bounty bars, Mint Aeros, Maltesers, Hob Nobs of assorted varieties, Robinson's lemon barley water, Ribena, Bisto, Paxo, Lloyd Grossman sauces, PG Tips, HP Sauce, Heniz salad cream, and on and on. I wish my local supermarkets here stocked even just Bounty bars so I wouldn't have to drive to World Market!

You can get them at Shaw's Supermarket in Hamden or the Stop & Shop in Amity, both off Route 15 (the Merritt Parkway). Also Lucozade, Lion bars, Bounty bars, Mint Aeros, Maltesers, Hob Nobs of assorted varieties, Robinson's lemon barley water, Ribena, Bisto, Paxo, Lloyd Grossman sauces, PG Tips, HP Sauce, Heniz salad cream, and on and on. I wish my local supermarkets here stocked even just Bounty bars so I wouldn't have to drive to World Market!

How far away from Torrance are you, they have a British shop there that has lots of stuff.

Edited by broma25

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I am amazed so many would go back !

I have been here on and off for 4 years now and I came permanently on GC in November 2007

I don't think there is a decent climate anywhere in the US (I have lived in Wisconsin/Florida and Washington State).

Here it has 300 days sun per year and 8 inches of rainfall. So far so good - but December and January are miserable with freezing fog every day. In summer it's 107.

I like motorbiking so I thought 300 days sun and no rain would be great - but it's either too hot or too cold and it's 150 miles to the next decent sized town - Seattle - which is as cloudy and drizzly as England

Before coming here, we rented a house in Darwen Lancashire (for her job) and that was the pits and I would rather live anywhere in the US rather than that

But yes I miss Yorkshire beer/Yorkshire fish and chips (Lancashire fish and chips are sold in Chinese restaurants and cooked in the same oil as the spring rolls)/and Cheshire cheese and currant teacakes

Also the UK is the finest countryside in the world WHEN its nice - and it isn't always - not at all. Motorbiking down loch fyne in 75 degrees is heavenly

I go back ever 4 months to kill the homesickness and the last couple of times I was looking forward to being back in the States after a few days

Life has taught us that we can't win and we can't improve a lot of things in our lives without leaving a lot of great things behind. We just can't have it all

Medicare will be an issue for me in a few years and although my USC wife has full contributions, I cant get it on her coat-tails as she is 11 years younger - and the spouse has to be 62

So thats going to cost me say 8k per annum

When I see the traffic and weather and some other things we don't mention next week in the UK, I am sure my homesickness will ease a lot and get me through - I am having a blood sugar test the day before I go and then I am going to pig out all the time I am there !

The US ain't that bad but it's a long way from perfect and sometimes it's just so weird - the way they pick up men for looking for prostitutes and put their face in the paper and the net even before they are tried -

and as for nancy grace - they might as well lynch the mother now as she has been publicly tried every night for 6 months. Whether she is guilty or not, it wouldn't be done in the UK - it's so - well so -- you know -- foreign !

Anyway I just cruised to walmart in my V6 3.5 litre Camry along quiet roads and the stuff costs peanuts - the road was dry and --it ain't that bad...

I would like to go back one day - but I can take it here for a few years as long as I keep my mouth shut

Don't know about the citizenship though - I am so dyed in the Wool English and I will never FEEL American

For instance 'only in America could a black man make it to the top'

We had a JEW as prime Minister and a WOMAN and the next labour pm will be an ATHEIST

The US is miles off doing that... and we had abolition of slavery first and women's votes first etc etc

So this total confidence that the US is better than anyone else and the in the forefront of everything gets on my nerves all the time too

Hey ho - off to use my 1500 watt kettle (3000 Watts in the UK) to eventually brew up some Yorkshire tea

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

OMG - I need Lucozade and Bounty bars - anyone know where I can get these in DC?

Timeline
i posted this in off topic but maybe you could help me here

We applied a little while back for a UK visa for hubby, we got the visa and are now leaning towards staying in the US. We have untill the end of feb before the visa expires, if we dont use it what will happen to the visa and plus if we want to reapply at a later date will we have problems? I'm pregnant right now and its just 2 stressful

We did the same and lived in the UK for a year - wife's visa now expired

I researched it at the time and I dont think there is a limit on how many resident visas you can get

It took 20 minutes in Chicago to get a UK green card - it took a year of very hard work and near nervous breakdowns to get my US green card

OMG - I need Lucozade and Bounty bars - anyone know where I can get these in DC?

I am getting a TRIPLE bar bounty in Harrogate next week and dipping it in my mushy peas !

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline
Definitely want to move back. We plan to do so in about 5/6 years - I wish it was a bit sooner.

Then we will come back here again after 5/6 years in the UK

and then back again I think....

I like the idea of living in both countries.

Are you going to have furnishings, etc. stored in both countries?

That is such a very good point - I am retired so we could float between the two countries but - what about the pets and the car and as you say the furniture etc etc

I think you have to have film star money to be able to do it properly

Nope we can't as Obama never says

I would love a cottage in Dorset, but now I am used to a mansion and huge garage with electric doors etc (all for less than my 3 bed barratt box in england) - and I would need a few mill for that in dorset

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.