ariest

K-3 or CR-1 - Which path to follow?

9 posts in this topic

My goal is to get to the US as soon as possible (I am not being original here, hah?) The I-130 was approved on May 10, and now my husband has recieved the DS 3032 and bill for I-864 (first step docs for pursuing immigrant visa). With I-129f recieved on April 7, I've been still hoping to reunite with my husband in a few months, reluctant to start the whole lengthy immigrant visa process. But now with the USCIS silence regarding IMBRA and gloomy speculations of VJ members (I've been a faithful reader for a while before joining), I don't even know what to expect.

As far as I understand, there is a point of no return in filing for CR-1, meaning you can no longer pursue K-3 visa (which might appear to be a faster track at that point). Can we safely proceed with DS3032 and I-864 bill now? At which point in proceeding for immigrant visa do we get stuck?

Thank you very much for your replies!

You can continue the I-130 process through NVC and still do the K-3 if the interview is held before the I-130 arrives at the consulate. So by continuing on with the I-130, at least you aren't stagnent as the I-129F seems to be at this stage. There is always the chance that the I-130 can get through NVC and reach the consulate before or around the same time as the I-129F. Feasibly one can get through NVC in 2-3 months depending on how fast the bills, forms etc are exchanged and on any security checks. What you will lose is the money outlayed for the NVC process for the I-130 if you do the K-3 visa. There is always the option too of returning to the consulate for the CR-1 interview after already entering on the K-3.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Thanks so much for the info! Do you know if coming back for CR-1 after entering the US on K-3 is a perfectly legal and approved by CIS route, or it's just what people do and it works? Because I don't remember finding something about that on the USCIS website - they always say you should file for AOS once you are in the US.

Thanks so much for the info! Do you know if coming back for CR-1 after entering the US on K-3 is a perfectly legal and approved by CIS route, or it's just what people do and it works? Because I don't remember finding something about that on the USCIS website - they always say you should file for AOS once you are in the US.

It sure is a perfectly ok way of doing things :thumbs: If you have entered on a K-3 and not yet adjusted status you can return to the consulate for the CR-1 interview and then re-enter the US with the immigrant visa. Many take up this option and it is all above board.

From USCIS.....

Applying for Immigrant Status

The K-3/4 nonimmigrant classification does not provide immigrant status. To obtain immigrant status --once in the United States -- a K-3 nonimmigrant must file a Form I-485 (Application for Adjustment to Permanent Residence). A K-4 nonimmigrant must have a Form I-130 filed on his/her behalf by his/her U.S. citizen parent/stepparent and must file a Form I-485. K-3/4 nonimmigrants will become lawful permanent residents and receive their Green Card when both the Form I-130 petition and their Form I-485 application have been approved.

K-3/4 non-immigrants may elect to apply for an immigrant visa instead of adjustment of status and may wait in the United States until they must appear at the consulate for their visa interview.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/newsrels/life081401.htm

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Some ppl might get angry, but I felt like I needed to post my experience as well. If I were you, I'd go with the CR1 Visa. I did the K3 Visa and I regreted soo much! Doing the AOS process in America is a pain in the a**s. With the CR1 Visa u get to America and get the GC within 90 days upon arrival. Which is a lot better than being stuck in America and not being able to do anything in the meantime. Go for the CR1 Visa!!!!!

Maria

Got married in Killeen, Texas on April 27 2004

*°K-3 Visa°*

Oct 12 2005 - Sent I-130 to NSC

Oct 24 2005 - NOA 1

Nov 7 2005 - Sent I-129F to Chicago

Nov 9 2005 - NOA 1

Dec 5 2005 - NOA 2 - I-129F Approved!!! (28 days)

Dec 13 2005 - Application Forwarded to NVC

Dec 16 2005 - Application received by the Consulate in Italy

Jan 4 2006 - Packet 3

Jan 10 2006 - Sent "Applicant's Statement" to Naples

Jan 27 2006 - Packet 4

Feb 22 2006 - Medical and Interview

Feb 22 2006 - Interview... APPROVED Got the Visa!!!

Mar 2 2006 - I-130 case *touched*

Mar 6 2006 - RFE for the I-130 (Marriage Certificate)

Mar 14 2006 - Sent RFE to CSC

Mar 21 2006 - RFE received by CSC

Mar 30 2006 - Detroit POE - Got the I-94

Mar 31 2006 - I-130 NOA 2 - APPROVED!!! (170 days)

*°AOS°*

Mar 31 2006 - I-765 sent to Chicago

Apr 5 2006 - I-765 NOA1

Apr 7 2006 - Vaccination Supplement appt. in Cleveland

Apr 13 2006 - EAD Biometrics Appointment Letter

Apr 18 2006 - EAD Biometrics in Pittsburg

Apr 22 2006 - I-485 sent to Chicago lockbox

Apr 28 2006 - I-485 NOA1

May 3 2006 - EAD Approved!! (33 days)

May 5 2006 - EAC received (NOA2)

May 5 2006 - AOS Biometrics Appointment Letter

May 8 2006 - Applied for Social Security Number

May 11 2006 - AOS Biometrics Appointment in Pittsburgh

May 18 2006 - Social Security Card arrived in the mail

May 18 2006 - Interview Appointment Letter

May 31 2006 - Flew back to Italy

Jun 24 2006 - I-485 *touched*

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
As far as I understand, there is a point of no return in filing for CR-1, meaning you can no longer pursue K-3 visa (which might appear to be a faster track at that point). Can we safely proceed with DS3032 and I-864 bill now? At which point in proceeding for immigrant visa do we get stuck?

Thank you very much for your replies!

This point of no return is when the CR1 visa paperwork actually arrives at the US Embassy. So its not like a magical half-way point in the process. Its actually in the homestretch--at the point of interview pretty much, or within 30 days thereof. I did and would again pursue the CR-1. But I also pursued the K-3 and lost money--but no time, as both the CR-1 and the K-3 were approved and arrived at the Embassy together. This has been the case for many where the CR-1 is faster than the K-3, but at times the K-3 has been faster. With the K-3 there is a lot more paperwork to do once you are here in the USA. With the CR-1 you are set for two years once you arrive in the USA and within a few weeks your Green Card arrives and possibly your SS Card. But sometimes you do have to apply for the SS Card, as the embassy drops the ball on this one at times.

squsquard20060929_-8_HJ%20is.png

dev216brs__.png

In accordance with Georgia law, "The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act," I am required to display the following in any and all languages that I may give immigration related advise:

'I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.'

"NO SOY ABOGADO LICENCIADO PRACTICAR LEY Y NO PUEDO DOY ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO O ACEPTO LOS HONORARIOS PARA El ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO."

hillarymug-tn.jpghillarypin-rwbt.jpgballoons-tn.jpg

With the K-3 there is a lot more paperwork to do once you are here in the USA.

That's assuming you adjust status in the US and don't return home for the CR-1.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
With the K-3 there is a lot more paperwork to do once you are here in the USA.

That's assuming you adjust status in the US and don't return home for the CR-1.

True--that's another possibility. I guess you have to consider at this moment how fast are K-3 (I-129F) moving versus CR-1 (I-130). And would you really want to move to the USA on a K-3 only to turn around and go back for another round of interviews for the CR-1, do an AOS here instead of returning. It might be better just to stay the course for the CR-1. I see a lot of forum post about delays of the I-129F reference IMBRA. I don't know exactly how that applies to cases where the couple is already married. I mean it is the same form as the non-spousal K-1 (financee) visa--but still, seems odd to me, that IMBRA would in effect keep married people apart. Then again maybe it won't but just help speed up the CR-1 process.

Edited by Artegal

squsquard20060929_-8_HJ%20is.png

dev216brs__.png

In accordance with Georgia law, "The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act," I am required to display the following in any and all languages that I may give immigration related advise:

'I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.'

"NO SOY ABOGADO LICENCIADO PRACTICAR LEY Y NO PUEDO DOY ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO O ACEPTO LOS HONORARIOS PARA El ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO."

hillarymug-tn.jpghillarypin-rwbt.jpgballoons-tn.jpg

Well, for me it's really a game of time, since K-3 visas are processed in Kishinev (Moldova) where I live, while immigrant visas are processed in Bucharest (Romania). Besides of having to travel, I also know that here in Moldova I should be able to get the visa pretty soon after the petition approval, perhaps within a week or so. I don't know what's the wait time in Romania, but it must be longer. This way, even if CR-1 and I-129f are approved at the same time, there might be quite a difference when I actually would be able to travel to the US. What if CR-1 arrives to Romania while I am applying for K-3 in Moldova?

I am not even sure what is worse: to travel back for the visa or to adjust status in the US. First path is faster, but involves travel and traveling costs, while the second route can take forever. Does anyone know how long the whole process to adjust status is? I believe from Chicago they forward your application to your local CIS office, am I right? Backlog for New York City is soooo huge, I might be better of traveling back. Does anyone have any experience with NYC?

Everyone, thank you very much for your input! It's been really helpful.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.