Kevin and Guitar

Guitar calls it off

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi Guys,

I'm new around here and posted awhile back to announce my engagement to a wonderful lady from Bangkok named Guitar. This is a woman I've known for 8 years and visited many times before deciding to get hitched.

After sending her the paperwork and many emails back and forth about her family details, etc., I didn't hear from her. While I was expecting the paperwork, nothing arrived. Emails sent, but not returned. I thought, "what the heck is going on here?".

When I finally did get ahold of her she came clean on a failed business venture down in Phuket. A costume jewelry store she opened but never did well and she had to shutter it. However, she was sidled with bills including a lease on the store and employee back payments. This totals around 500,000 THB (+-$14,000). She feels she has to pay this debt before leaving Thailand. Although it's not a huge amount, personally, I am not in a position to bail her out.

So, she's the one that called it off. She feels bad for not telling me earlier as well. This is devastating for me and I'm trying to sort out my feelings. I think I'll have to let go of my idea of being with her for now.

Kevin and Guitar

North Hollywood, CA and Bangkok, Thailand

Met online May 2000

Engaged August 2008

Gather Info October 2008

Send Packet TBA

I call it off for personal reasons December 2008

Feel Lucky I Did Not Marry Her!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hi Guys,

I'm new around here and posted awhile back to announce my engagement to a wonderful lady from Bangkok named Guitar. This is a woman I've known for 8 years and visited many times before deciding to get hitched.

After sending her the paperwork and many emails back and forth about her family details, etc., I didn't hear from her. While I was expecting the paperwork, nothing arrived. Emails sent, but not returned. I thought, "what the heck is going on here?".

When I finally did get ahold of her she came clean on a failed business venture down in Phuket. A costume jewelry store she opened but never did well and she had to shutter it. However, she was sidled with bills including a lease on the store and employee back payments. This totals around 500,000 THB (+-$14,000). She feels she has to pay this debt before leaving Thailand. Although it's not a huge amount, personally, I am not in a position to bail her out.

So, she's the one that called it off. She feels bad for not telling me earlier as well. This is devastating for me and I'm trying to sort out my feelings. I think I'll have to let go of my idea of being with her for now.

So sorry to hear abt it.

we cant never be sure what the future hold of us. anything can happen to any of us.

venturing business is never easy, never know what will happen.

will you be going back to thailand again?

I am sure you know much abt thailand.

but if have a time check out the Stickman's web site. well it goes for anyone going to thailand.

Here www.stickmanbangkok.com and www.stickmanweekly.com

hope u'll meet a good person as Guitar in the future

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Wait, I don't understand. She's suddenly and irreversibly walking away from 8 years' investment in a relationship on account of $14,000? Say it ain't so, brother! Surely it's just another bump in the road.....

Timeline
Hi Guys,

So sorry to hear abt it.

we cant never be sure what the future hold of us. anything can happen to any of us.

venturing business is never easy, never know what will happen.

will you be going back to thailand again?

I am sure you know much abt thailand.

but if have a time check out the Stickman's web site. well it goes for anyone going to thailand.

Here www.stickmanbangkok.com and www.stickmanweekly.com

hope u'll meet a good person as Guitar in the future

Hey, thanks johndecka.

You know, I was kind of ready for the other shoe to drop because there are certain things about her that concern me. Chiefly, it is that I have never met a family member or even a friend of hers in 8+ yrs. of knowing each other. Another is this business venture in HKT, which was going on over a year and I had no idea about it.

Been to Thailand several times and am aware of all its pitfalls, including dating (and being engaged to) women from there. I know of Stick and have read the mounting horror stories on his Blog and other Thai related expat sites.

Despite all this, I do love the girl and wish her the best. Perhaps it will work itself out, perhaps not. I start a new job on Monday at a big computer company in the SF Bay Area. That will keep my mind off things for a bit.

Kevin and Guitar

Met online May 2000

Engaged August 2008

Gather Info October 2008

Send Packet TBA

Timeline
Wait, I don't understand. She's suddenly and irreversibly walking away from 8 years' investment in a relationship on account of $14,000? Say it ain't so, brother! Surely it's just another bump in the road.....

Or another suitor is making a better offer and she is stalling me? This is Thailand we are talking about. There is a massive shroud, behind which, we have no idea what is really going on.

I honestly have no idea what the real story is. :wacko:

But, I just accept the fact that I'll never know.

Kevin and Guitar

Met online May 2000

Engaged August 2008

Gather Info October 2008

Send Packet TBA

Timeline

[

Hey, thanks johndecka.

You know, I was kind of ready for the other shoe to drop because there are certain things about her that concern me. Chiefly, it is that I have never met a family member or even a friend of hers in 8+ yrs. of knowing each other. Another is this business venture in HKT, which was going on over a year and I had no idea about it.

Been to Thailand several times and am aware of all its pitfalls, including dating (and being engaged to) women from there. I know of Stick and have read the mounting horror stories on his Blog and other Thai related expat sites.

Despite all this, I do love the girl and wish her the best. Perhaps it will work itself out, perhaps not. I start a new job on Monday at a big computer company in the SF Bay Area. That will keep my mind off things for a bit.

You are welcome.

Man , thats very unusual of her not introducing u tomember of her family and friends. But i am not surprised coz i read from Stickman's blogs.

Well , stickman and u r right and i agree that we may never know what really going on , only people living there know.

Well, hopefully ,one day she will know n realized the mistake she made of not being so open and honest with u .

well it goes like this, we can find out how deep ocean is, how tall the building is , But we'll never know what's on one's mind.

I been to thailand abt 15-16 times. i wished that i know abt the stickman's web site coz i could have got myself learned n prepared lot more.

i only knew abt stickman's web sit abt 2 months ago.

ALL THE People VISITING Thailand should Read the Stickman's BLOGS Before going there:)

Good to hear you 'll be working soon.

"The more you know, the more u realize how much u little know abt the person /country/world"

When u go back to thailand , Always remeber the "STickman's Blog"

Take care n hope you'll MEET A great woman who really cares n Love You"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hi Guys,

Walk away from the whole thing NOW.

Sorry to tell you this, you are now being played... don't believe me? Pay a few hundred for a decent PI to get teh real story for you.......

http://www.thaiprivateeye.com

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hi Guys,

Walk away from the whole thing NOW.

Sorry to tell you this, you are now being played... don't believe me? Pay a few hundred for a decent PI to get teh real story for you.......

http://www.thaiprivateeye.com

My wife & I had three business in Thailand. Each included rental or lease of store fronts. NONE involved a written lease that included any time period such as we have here in the USA. When we decided to close them we simply notified the landlord & moved out. The rent had to be paid every month in cash. The inventory was all paid for in cash every week. As far as employees ours were paid every week in cash. These methods are pretty standard in Thailand.

A friend was taken in a similar manner. He was told it was a bakery in BKK. Same failed lease bit & same sad story about the employees. When he went to see her & was about to help with some money ect she couldnt take him to the location of the bakery. That night she stole his passport & cash & left.

I think you know what's up here already. The best thing about this is that you figured it out. This guitar was out of tune.

There are also good women in Thailand so dont lose faith.

Makes you step back and think a bit

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline
Wow. This is a really old scam now. It usually doesn't take this long to come about though.

Depressing to think that this is a scam. :unsure:

Kevin and Guitar

Met online May 2000

Engaged August 2008

Gather Info October 2008

Send Packet TBA

Timeline
Wow. This is a really old scam now. It usually doesn't take this long to come about though.

Yes I bet it is Kevin. I heard about this a long time ago. Also knew someone that it happened to and no matter how many of us told him he still kept sending money to help her get through her "obligations" until the bitter end. He learned a big lesson and from that became stronger in the end if even though a bit poorer. I am guessing from mine and the other responses you now know this and hope you heed this and move on.

Timeline

Walk away. Count your blessings. I lived over there for 3 years. This kind of stuff goes on all the time. Keep reading stickman. I know it s*cks, but don't drop another dime into this deal. I have seen a few people get taken like this. They keep sending $ the entire time the visa process is working it's way through, and then when it comes time for the interview, they bail.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Kevin,

Im so sorry to hear that this happened to you. I know that doesnt help you any. :(

I think it sounds like you are in acceptance that you wont ever know what the real story is. This is the best approach.

Im sorry you spent 8 years in a relationship only for it to end abruptly.

Take some time to grieve, and then come out wiser and a better man for it :thumbs:

(F)

Lisa

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.