rob&ana

Who's used their AP?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi...

I will be using my AP quite soon (actually next week), and I was wondering if the ones that have already used their APs could post their experiences, just to know what to expect. For example, will they take my I-94?? will I have a new I-94??? How long does it take to go thru with AP, does it take a very long time?

I am travelling due to business, with my boss, and even though she's really nice, I dont want her to be waiting for me too long (not that I can do anything about it), or lose my connecting flight.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Our visa Journey ~~~~ 226 days

Removing Conditions on ~~~ May 2008

Our first anniversary ~~~ November 12, 2006

Timeline

Come on people!!!

I cannot believe that no one has used their AP!!!

I made a search, and I know how everyone planned to use it. But no one has posted their experience coming back!!

It is not life or death, but it'd be nice to know what to expect... no?

Ana

Edited by rob&ana

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I used my AP back in dec and from memory there was no problems, it takes no longer to get through immigration than normal and yes you will get a new I94 when you return.

Tony

Karen ( USA ) and Tony ( UK ) now both residing in USA!!

2/28/05- I-129F sent to TSC

7/29/05- Interview date- Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/06/05-Tony comes home to Tennessee!!!

10/08/05-WE'RE MARRIED!!! I love this man!

AOS/EAD/AP

11/26/05-filed for emergency AP

11/29/05-filed for AOS/EAD

03/07/06-online EAD approval

03/10/06-received EAD in post and passed driving test (Wow what a day)

07/26/06-AOS Interview---APPROVED!!!!!!

07/31/06-received 'Welcome to America' Letter

08/07/06-received Green card in post wooooooooohoooooooo

03/30/09-received approval to remove conditions!

Come on people!!!

I cannot believe that no one has used their AP!!!

I made a search, and I know how everyone planned to use it. But no one has posted their experience coming back!!

It is not life or death, but it'd be nice to know what to expect... no?

Ana

I used it once - coming back from a cruise. Lots of blank faces and waiting til they had dealt with everyone else, but it was fine. I will post again after Tuesday - I am entering the US from England - so in a slightly more conventional way this time, so I think my experience will be more valid. We have our interview a week after I get back.

November 22nd 2005: Received receipts for I485, I130 and I131

December 6th 2005: Received RFE for medical

December 15th 2005: Biometrics appointment

February 23rd 2006: I131 touched

February 25th 2006: I485 touched - medical has been received at Chicago Lockbox

March 31st 2006: I131 touched

April 3rd 2006: I131 touched

April 3rd 2006: I131 received!!!!

May 5th 2006: Interview notice received

June 21st 2006: Interview - APPROVED!!

May 2008: Applied to remove conditions at Nebraska service center

May 2008: forwarded to CSC

June 19th 2008: Biometrics

August 21st 2008 card production ordered - YAY California!!

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

My wife has used her AP twice. First time POE Chicago. They stamped her docs in the main line. Just make sure that you have both copies of the AP. They will keep one the first time thru. Turn in the old I94 when you leave. Fill out a new one when you return. They will stamp it with a Parole stamp good until the date that your AP expires.

Second time was last week when we return from Cabo San Lucas thru POE- Las Vegas. They sent her to secondary inspection because they do not have a Parole stamp in the normal processing line. Another new I-94 also.

No biggie. May delay you if you have to go to secondary inspection and wait.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline

Thanks...

So, turn in I-94 on the way out.

On the way in, get in regular line, turn in both AP documents, they keep on and return one, they stamp my passport?

Sounds painless... might be tardy, but on the way back I have enough time in Philly to deal with immigration.

Thanks everyone, I just wanted to know what to expect and let my boss know how it's dealt with, so she doesnt worry if they send me to secondary inspection.

Again, thanks to all...

Ana

I used my AP 3 weeks ago when returning from England. POE was Chicago. My husband was with me and we both went through the visitors line (although afterwards I was told by the officer that we could go through the Citizens and Residents Line). It was actually no problem at all. I wasn't sent for a secondary inspection, the officer just asked me when my Interview was and I told him it was in June and he seemed happy when I said that. Had to dig around in his bag to find the correct stamp, but apart from that it was easy. I handed in my old I-94 when we left the country and got a new one to fill out on the plane coming back. The I-94 was stamped as was my passport and AP. I cant remember if he kept one of the AP copies, we were in a rush to make our connection, I didn't notice. The actual time standing in front of the officer was probably 5 minutes, waiting in the queue was probably about 20 minutes, not too bad.

Just relax and dont worry about it, although take a copy of your interview letter if you have it, the inspecting officer that I had seemed pleased that I had that on me, although of course you're not required to carry it.

Have a good trip

Kate

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

Timeline

Thanks ...

I am going thru Philly...

I think they should have all the stamps and all the stuff there.

I will be carrying my marriage certificate, EAD and AP, now I will include the Interview letter.

Thanks for the tip!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Can I ask what reasons are sufficient for AP approval?

Is it required that AP be filed at the same time as AOS? Can AP be filed separately and prior to AOS?

Thanks

K1 Timeline:

12-22-05 I-129F mailed to CSC

12-27-05 USCIS receives I-129f

01-03-06 NOA1 by mail

03-14-06 NOA2 Case Approved

03-21-06 NVC sent case to BKK

03-27-06 BKK Embassy email "no record of my case"

03-27-06 NVC approval letter rcvd

03-30-06 BKK Embassy confirms case by email

03-31-06 Fiancee Medical passed

04-07-06 Packet 3 rcvd

04-20-06 Packet 4 rcvd

05-26-06 Interview 730am VISA APPROVED!!!

05-30-06 Pick up Visa 3pm

06-16-06 Arrived in USA POE LAX

07-05-06 Applied for SS Card

08-18-06 Married

AOS Timeline:

10-13-06 Mailed AOS packet

10-16-06 AOS rcvd CHI lockbox

10-25-06 AOS Touched

11-04-06 Biometrics Appt

01-09-07 AOS Interview APPROVED!!!

01-10-07 email Welcome letter sent

01-09-07 email AP approved

01-12-07 email EAD approved

01-16-07 Welcome letter rcvd in the mail

01-18-07 EAD card rcvd in the mail

01-23-07 AP approval rcvd in mail

02-05-07 GreenCard in mail

03-07-07 Vacation in Thailand

03-15-07 Traditional Thai wedding

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

You can send your AP petition after sending AOS. I dont think there is a problem with that.

Anyhoo...

I just wanted to say, that I am back in the US, the immigration officers in Philly were really nice, and I was out of Customs/ Immigration in about 10 to 15 minutes.

Thanks to all who posted their experience, because knowing what to expect definitely makes the situation easier.

Ana

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

My step-daughter (K-2, 15 years old) will be using her AP to travel home for a 2 week vacation with me and my wife (k-1, AOS approved and has green card) and we are leaving tomorrow.

Carina (k-2) had her interview the same day as her mother back in October 2005, however her approval for the GC is pending the FBI name check.

I am weary about her turning in the original I-94 from her entry in September 2004 since it is related to her AOS processing, and is proof of her legal entry. I know she will get a new one and we have a copy but I am still concerned about turning it in.

Should we worry?

Also, if we do turn it in who do we turn it in to?

Finally, I assume we show her AP documents to customs/immigration upon our arrival back into the US (POE Chicago), but will she have any problems getting out of her country? Will they understand she can leave for the US again legally based on the AP and her adjustment of status application? The first time she had the visa of course but now the AP and her foreign passport is all she has.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave

Thanks to all for the guidance and support and speedy processing to all!

Our Visa Journey Timeline

Marina's parents Nicolai & Galina I-130

01/20/2009 I-130 Petitions package mailed to Chicago Lockbox (priority mail)
01/31/2009 NOA1's rec'd for both petitions
03/16/2009 Approval notices dated 03/10/09 rec'd in the mail for both petitions (no on-line update)
03/30/2009 NVC DS-3032 packets received by petitioner
03/31/2009 Paid $70 AOS (affadavit of support) fee on-line (one fee for both petitions)
04/10/2009 Marina's parent's e-mailed DS-3032 to NVC for both petitions
04/15/2009 AOS documents for both petitions mailed USPS Priority to NVC
04/21/2009 Rec'd e-mails from NVC for approval for Marina to be designated agent for both
04/25/2009 Paid $400 IV (immigrant visa) fee on-line for each petition ($800 total for both parents)
06/04/2009 DS-230 & supporting documents for both petitions mailed USPS Priority to NVC
06/22/2009 Both cases completed at NVC (per automated phone line message on 06/30/09)
07/10/2009 Interview notification e-mail received; both interviews scheduled for 08/11/09
08/11/2009 Interview(s) completed for both parents in Bucharest; visas in hand!
12/21/2009 Nicolai & Galina arrived in the United States as scheduled! (Chicago O'Hare)

Marina's parents Nicolai & Galina N-400

10/21/2014 N-400 applications mailed to Phoenix Lockbox (priority mail)

11/03/2014 NOA1's received for both

11/07/2014 Biometrics letters received for both

11/17/2014 Biometrics completed for both

11/22/2014 Received "yellow letter" for both

01/06/2015 Received "in-line" e-mail for both

01/12/2015 Received interview letter for both (scheduled for 2/10/15)

02/10/2015 Interviews passed for both; waiting for oath ceremony date(s)

03/03/2015 Oath Ceremony in Chicago; two new US Citizens!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

My step-daughter (K-2, 15 years old) will be using her AP to travel home for a 2 week vacation with me and my wife (k-1, AOS approved and has green card) and we are leaving tomorrow.

Carina (k-2) had her interview the same day as her mother back in October 2005, however her approval for the GC is pending the FBI name check.

I am weary about her turning in the original I-94 from her entry in September 2004 since it is related to her AOS processing, and is proof of her legal entry. I know she will get a new one and we have a copy but I am still concerned about turning it in.

Should we worry?

Also, if we do turn it in who do we turn it in to?

Finally, I assume we show her AP documents to customs/immigration upon our arrival back into the US (POE Chicago), but will she have any problems getting out of her country? Will they understand she can leave for the US again legally based on the AP and her adjustment of status application? The first time she had the visa of course but now the AP and her foreign passport is all she has.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave

I think you will find they will remove your I94 either at the check in desk or as you board your plane. You will get a new I94 on your return for which you will probably receive a RFI from USCIS and have to send them a copy to update your AOS. This happened to me and it was not a problem.

Tony

Karen ( USA ) and Tony ( UK ) now both residing in USA!!

2/28/05- I-129F sent to TSC

7/29/05- Interview date- Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/06/05-Tony comes home to Tennessee!!!

10/08/05-WE'RE MARRIED!!! I love this man!

AOS/EAD/AP

11/26/05-filed for emergency AP

11/29/05-filed for AOS/EAD

03/07/06-online EAD approval

03/10/06-received EAD in post and passed driving test (Wow what a day)

07/26/06-AOS Interview---APPROVED!!!!!!

07/31/06-received 'Welcome to America' Letter

08/07/06-received Green card in post wooooooooohoooooooo

03/30/09-received approval to remove conditions!

Timeline

Dave:

When I was leaving Italy, coming back to the US with the AP. I had someone who didnt know the document, and yes, they were a little weary of letting me check in. But they called a supervisor, which luckily knew the document and they let me go by. I was travelling US Airways.

Since you are all travelling with her, and, if they give her any trouble with the document, just ask for a supervisor, even if you have to go and get one from another airline (which I dont think, probably in all airports there's always someone who knows!).

And my I-94 was taken from me when I was boarding the plane. On your way back, you dont have to fill the line about the visa (because she's going be paroled into the country).

Hope this is of some help.

Good luck, and good trip!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for bringing this up Rob...my husband has applied for AP and I hate to admit that it's still hard for me to understand the parole thing (no sighs from anyone please). So with everyone posting their experiences, this will help me understand it better (sorry, I'm a visual learner). :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.