jamesandwanda

Why the long wait before interview is scheduled

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
I COMPLETELY understand your feelings Zee - it doesn't make heart sense at all. But look at our government and the laws - married couples get more tax advantages, are legally recognized, in most states you can legally sign documents for your spouse, in the event of a death - unless there is will - a fiance doesn't get a thing from the death, in the military if someone dies in the line of battle - their SPOUSE receives a flag not a fiance. The GOVERNMENT places higher priority on marriage. I don't know when the fiance visa was created but I am willing to bet that it was A LOT later than the spousal visa.

And so what?

Does that mean it is OK to move the K1's to the side so that the spousal visas get processed faster?

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

I COMPLETELY understand your feelings Zee - it doesn't make heart sense at all. But look at our government and the laws - married couples get more tax advantages, are legally recognized, in most states you can legally sign documents for your spouse, in the event of a death - unless there is will - a fiance doesn't get a thing from the death, in the military if someone dies in the line of battle - their SPOUSE receives a flag not a fiance. The GOVERNMENT places higher priority on marriage. I don't know when the fiance visa was created but I am willing to bet that it was A LOT later than the spousal visa.

And so what?

Does that mean it is OK to move the K1's to the side so that the spousal visas get processed faster?

In the eyes of the govenment - yes.

In my eyes - no, should be FIFO.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Haven't K1's been historically faster than CR1's the only fast track marriage is the k3 which is the more expensive route because you get the adjustment of status here

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Timeline
Haven't K1's been historically faster than CR1's the only fast track marriage is the k3 which is the more expensive route because you get the adjustment of status here

Exactly. K visas are designed to get SO's here faster.

Click for full timeline

My understanding (which isn't much because I just started this journey) is that the K1's were historically faster so that's why the K3's were created. But now that the K3's are taking about the same time as the CR1's they are pushing the CR1's faster where they can ie scheduling interviews ahead of K1's. Don't take my word as "the word", it's just what I have been hearing.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Timeline

My understanding (which isn't much because I just started this journey) is that the K1's were historically faster so that's why the K3's were created. But now that the K3's are taking about the same time as the CR1's they are pushing the CR1's faster where they can ie scheduling interviews ahead of K1's. Don't take my word as "the word", it's just what I have been hearing.

The scheduling for K visas and CR1 visas is different (one is by the consulate, the other by NVC). The interviews (from what I have read) are scheduled on the first available date no matter which route is taken. I have yet to hear of a K1 interview being pushed in preference to a CR1.

Maybe they are pushing the CR1 because, from what I have read, it seems to be taking a long time to get an I-130 approval (why so many cases have been transferred from VSC to CSC).

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
okay, i've never seen that attached chart before, but what i've noticed from zee's tracking is that K1/K3 visas wait anywhere from 4-6 months for an interview, while the CR1/IR1 interviews seem to be scheduled within two months of their case completion at the NVC...which would be in keeping with other NVC cases. i am also hoping for a march interview! i was under the impression that the NVC schedules the date for the CR1/IR1 interviews, while the embassy itself schedules the K1 interviews. i don't know if that is correct since i did not look into a K1 visa, but if true it could explain the discrepancy.

It makes sense, to me at least, that the CR1/IR1 would have priority over K1 because those filing the CR1/IR1 are already married while K1 is "intending" to be married. I know when you're on the receiving end of the longer time it doesn't make sense but if you step back and look at it from the governments perspective it does.

I don't mean to be rude, but just because you are married it does not mean that you have more of a right to be reunited with your loved one than someone else. There are many factors that go into couples choosing a spousal visa vs a fiance(e) visa.

The difference in the interview scheduling times is because K visas (compare the scheduling times for K1 and K3 visas, they are almost the same) are scheduled by the embassy whereas the CR1 visa is scheduled by NVC.

The difference is because K visas are NON-immigrant visas and CR are immigrant visas. In Ghana, there are large numbers of applications for non immigrant visas such as tourists, business and student visas. So it takes longer to schedule all of them.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Timeline
The difference is because K visas are NON-immigrant visas and CR are immigrant visas. In Ghana, there are large numbers of applications for non immigrant visas such as tourists, business and student visas. So it takes longer to schedule all of them.

:bonk:

I forgot that bit :P

Click for full timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I like your answer the best, it gives me more hope of a March interview.

okay, i've never seen that attached chart before, but what i've noticed from zee's tracking is that K1/K3 visas wait anywhere from 4-6 months for an interview, while the CR1/IR1 interviews seem to be scheduled within two months of their case completion at the NVC...which would be in keeping with other NVC cases. i am also hoping for a march interview! i was under the impression that the NVC schedules the date for the CR1/IR1 interviews, while the embassy itself schedules the K1 interviews. i don't know if that is correct since i did not look into a K1 visa, but if true it could explain the discrepancy.

It makes sense, to me at least, that the CR1/IR1 would have priority over K1 because those filing the CR1/IR1 are already married while K1 is "intending" to be married. I know when you're on the receiving end of the longer time it doesn't make sense but if you step back and look at it from the governments perspective it does.

I don't mean to be rude, but just because you are married it does not mean that you have more of a right to be reunited with your loved one than someone else. There are many factors that go into couples choosing a spousal visa vs a fiance(e) visa.

The difference in the interview scheduling times is because K visas (compare the scheduling times for K1 and K3 visas, they are almost the same) are scheduled by the embassy whereas the CR1 visa is scheduled by NVC.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.' Matthew 6:34.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

I-130 Sent: Federal Express Overnight: 03/19/2008

I-130 Received Chicago Lock box signed by J. Chyba: 03/20/2008

I-130 NOA-1 (Notice Date): 03/25/2008

I-130 Check cashed: 03/28/2008

I-130 NOA-1 Received by Mail: 03/29/2008

Touched 04/01/2008

Case transferred to CSC 11/05/2008

Touched 11/11/08

Touched 11/12/08

Touched 11/13/08

I-130 NOA-2 APPROVAL: 12/18/2008

I-130 NOA-2 Approval E-mail: 12/19/2008

I-130 NOA-2 Approval Received by Mail: 12/26/08

NVC:

NVC Received 12/29/2008

NVC Case # generated 12/30/2008

IIN RECEIVED 01/07/2009

AOS FEE PAID 01/07/2009

DS3032 EMAILED 01/07/2009

DS3032 SNAIL MAIL 01/07/2009

AOS FEE ACCEPTED 01/08/2009

MAIL I-864 PACKAGE 01/08/2009

PAID IV BILL 01/13/2009

WAITING ON POLICE CERT

FORWARD IV PKG 1/22/09

RECEIVE IV PKG 1/30/09

RFE PER AVR 2/4/09

CASE COMPLETED 2/25/09

INTERVIEW 10/05/2009

ADMIN PROCESSING

2ND INTERVIEW 11/04/09

VISA APPROVED

VISA RECEIVED 11/06/09

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

yes, as far as i can tell, we should both be in line for a march interview! from the CR1/IR1 forum, i've learned that the NVC does the interview scheduling the first two weeks of each month. so we've missed out on january but our cases should be complete in time to get in line for scheduling in february. generally- unless the country is v. popular- they seem to arrange the interviews for the following month- in our case, march. looking at the timeline here, it looks like the people who waited two months between case completion and interview were still interviewed the next month following their scheduling (if that makes sense)- ie they completed their case after the first two weeks of the month and so missed that month's scheduling session.

of course, anything can happen- but here's hoping!

IR-1

I-130 NOA1 : 8/8/2008

I-130 Approved : 12/24/2008

NVC

Case Number Assigned: 12/29/2008

Case Complete: 1/22/2009

INTERVIEW

Accra, Ghana: MAY 18TH- APPROVED!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
okay, i've never seen that attached chart before,

Chart was derived from VJ Immigration Timeline search for petitions going through Ghana then sorted by Interview date. I cut and pasted it into a spread sheet. Click link below to see actual data.

VJ Immigration Timelines

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

To add my own experience here, I used a lawyer, his advice was to go the K1 fiance route that it is historically faster than trying to get married. That if we got married it could be drug out for years.

Now when it came time for the interview the CO tried to use the fact that we were not married against us. "If you are so in love and want to be together why didn't you get married already?" Our response was that our legal counsel advised us not to. At which time the CO had to find another line of questioning.

Bottom line no matter how you file you can fly through the first part of the process, but if the CO wants to hang you up and prolong your case, they can. They can order home investigations which I have seen in some cases (right here on VJ) take years. They do this to try to protect us against fraudulent cases.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.