jdunning

2008 Tax return

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
My wife arrived into the USA June 17, 2008 and we were married July 15, 2008. Will I be able to claim her as a dependent on my 2008 tax return?

Yes...even if you had married Dec. 31, 2008.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
My wife arrived into the USA June 17, 2008 and we were married July 15, 2008. Will I be able to claim her as a dependent on my 2008 tax return?

My son gave me that present when he was born at 11:40 pm on Dec 31, 2008 18 years ago. :dance:

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Er......NO. You cannot claim a spouse as a dependent. You can, however, file a joint return.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Er......NO. You cannot claim a spouse as a dependent. You can, however, file a joint return.

Exemption or a dependent, what difference does it make? Have to check a box for your spouse, but in a joint return, your spouse and SS # has to be inserted at the top of the form. With dependents, have to write in their names and SS# and sure can't write your spouses name in there. Your total number of exemptions, you and your spouse, plus dependents that do not necessarily have to be your kids, is multiplied by $3,500.00 on page 2 of the standard 1040, meaning you don't pay extra taxes on that amount. Already creamed you on FICA taxes that are not even deducted off your gross income, so in effect, we are paying income taxes on money the government already took away. If you are self employed at the 14.8% rate, yeah it includes Medicare besides paying that amount, also paying income taxes on that same amount, even though you don't have it. Kind of a ripoff.

When I married my wife, had one dependent kid left, so lost my head of household status that was an extra exemption, but gain the exemption of my wife, in this case, really no additional tax breaks in being a single parent or a married one, still got two exemptions for the both of us.

With a kid turning 18 and working, can no longer claim them as a dependent so have to pay an additional tax rate on that $3,500.00. If in the 25% bracket, you have to pay an additional $875.00 in taxes. Really quite a bargain, because if you are supporting that kid, that gives you an extra $2.40 per day to clothe, house, and feed that kid plus medical expenses, transportation to and from school, extras. I am a very poor money manager, could never quite support a kid on a couple of bucks a day.

But switching from head of household to married, don't get an extra dime back for that wife, two have to live as cheaply as one.

One of my daughters was working for an investment firm that rented boxes in every NFL football stadium in the country to entertain key investors, they deducted millions for that entertainment, but we get $2.40 per day for each kid, and since I switched from head of household to filing jointly, I don't get an extra red cent to support my wife. Johnson Wax in WI got a 50 million deduction for recreating a flight to find some kind of wax in South America, had to make a plane like the one they used. While the rest of us get creamed with state income tax. I can not even deduct the full amount of property taxes I have to pay for the state, that haven't changed the maximum in the last 30 years, so have to pay addition state income taxes on taxes that I have already paid.

Just doesn't seem fair, and yes, we are getting screwed, screwed royally.

I use my last years return as a guide as does the IRS, have to get copies as my wife's USC IO insisted on keeping my originals for proof that we are married, another pain in the a$$.

I got a lot of money back when I claimed Claudeth :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I got a lot of money back when I claimed Claudeth :thumbs:

Ha, you never get money back, you just pay less in, like I pay $2.40 less per day because I still have a dependent kid. But the same government that passed a law that my kid has to go to school or else I would end up in jail charges taxpayers $67.00 per school day for each kid, babysitting the kid for just five hours. They sure in the hell don't teach them anything, except bad habits, poor grammar, and how to switch on a computer.