Enlighten one :)

Driver license

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello,

My husband's here on a CR1. Does he have to have a temporary liscense? or can he just take the tests?

Thank you in advance for any assistance in this matter.

Mrs. J

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello,

My husband's here on a CR1. Does he have to have a temporary liscense? or can he just take the tests?

Thank you in advance for any assistance in this matter.

Mrs. J

State dependant.... most likely will qualify to take the tests.

YMMV

Maybe he ought to take a class too :)

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Timeline

Called Maine DMV.

He can drive on his internation liscense for one year. :dance:

Send in applicaiton for the test. Then they will schedule a drivers test.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Filed: Timeline
I recomend getting him a book to study the laws...you can get one from the local DMV. Driving in the US and driving in Nigeria are TOTALY different....

Wow i need to check as well my hubby is a great driver, someone told me they could use their temporary licence. I f u can drive in lagos he can drive here. I thnk its a matter of knowing the rules thats it .

Timeline

My husband has been diligently studying for week. I printed it off the Internet in PDF.

He says he still doesn't want to drive until he needs to.

After all our learning experience, I feel afraid to send him out into the big world in a vehicle.

How did your hubby handle this"?

I recomend getting him a book to study the laws...you can get one from the local DMV. Driving in the US and driving in Nigeria are TOTALY different....
Edited by MrsJibowu

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

He drove with me until he felt comfortable going out on is own. He would drive and I would be the passenger and give him guidance. I got him a book and he diligently studied the laws. Now he has a CDL licence and he ia a professional driver.

:thumbs:

My husband has been diligently studying for week. I printed it off the Internet in PDF.

After all our learning experience, I feel afraid to send him out into the big world in a vehicle.

Timeline

That is great! I laugh how much he reads and studies this book. I would skim through the night before the test.

Today I talked to him about the road as we drove teaching him about signs and lines.

He drove with me until he felt comfortable going out on is own. He would drive and I would be the passenger and give him guidance. I got him a book and he diligently studied the laws. Now he has a CDL licence and he ia a professional driver.

:thumbs:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Called Maine DMV.

Are you sure about this?? I called the dmv yesterday about this very thing. They told me they can only drive on their international license here if they are a student?? I'm not doubting you, just frustrating when two people get two different answers to the same question.............

-------------------------

[url="http://daisypath.com"][img]http://daisypath.com/pic/090507/S3qn.jpg[/img][img]http://da.daisypath.com/ekPQm4/.png[/img][/url]

[color="#9932CC"]"Until the angels close my eyes, I can't imagine seeing life without you."[/color]

[size=2][color="#FFC0CB"]~Michelle~[/color][/size]

Timeline

I called to ask what he needed to do to get he liscense. She said that he had to fill out an application to take the written test the once past hwe would take the road test. She said he could drive on his liscense for one year on his nigerian one.

Called Maine DMV.

Are you sure about this?? I called the dmv yesterday about this very thing. They told me they can only drive on their international license here if they are a student?? I'm not doubting you, just frustrating when two people get two different answers to the same question.............

Filed: Timeline

Lol my hubby wanted to drive after 2 days he is ready . i am happy because all i have to do is sit therei dont like driving much. he had drove big trucks at home before, so this will work for him he just needs the licence. This is cool until he can go to school. please send me a pm on where he went etc .

Thanks

Timeline
Lol my hubby wanted to drive after 2 days he is ready . i am happy because all i have to do is sit therei dont like driving much. he had drove big trucks at home before, so this will work for him he just needs the licence. This is cool until he can go to school. please send me a pm on where he went etc .

Thanks

I can't wait until I do not have to be the driver. I think it is good right now, while I deal wth the learning curve of other things that I keep driving or reduce my coffee intake .

Thanks

I can't wait until I do not have to be the driver. I think it is good right now, while I deal wth the learning curve of other things that I keep driving or reduce my coffee intake .

Now why on earth would anyone want to do that? :)

Edited by WhidbeyGirl

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.