Danu

New and Concerned

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Everyone,

I have been trolling the boards for some time now and was going to wait till my official engagement to post but now I have a concern and was hoping you guys might be able to help.

My BF is coming up to visit me here in Canada in February (crazy man) and he is intending to do the official proposal when he is up here. I have almost all the paperwork filled out atm to help him out minus the BC/SSN etc that hes bringing with him and then hes going to file everything when he gets back home (this way we can photocopy things before he goes back so he doesnt have to send them all to me).

Now comes my concern...last night he was mugged on the way into his apartment. He wasnt hurt thank god but they got everything, his SSN, credit cards...everything. We called everywhere to get everything cancelled, put in a fraud alert on his SSN and stuff so I think we are all covered there. My concern is that they ask for his SSN and stuff on the forms and I wanted to know if anyone knows if this is going to make things harder. They shouldnt have had time to do anything before we got the fraud alert on I hope (we had most things done within 1/2 hour or so) but I know the fraud alerts add extra security to anything involving checking the SSN (credit checks, employment etc) and I didnt know if its going to make it harder for USCIS to get at any information they might need and if theres anything we can do or send to help make sure this isnt going to delay our case for a million years when we do send it in.

I've been awake pretty much all night tossing and turning trying to think of all the things we need to do for the K-1 and now for this too, so my mind is spinning. If anyone has any idea's it would be wonderful. Thanks so much!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hey Everyone,

I have been trolling the boards for some time now and was going to wait till my official engagement to post but now I have a concern and was hoping you guys might be able to help.

My BF is coming up to visit me here in Canada in February (crazy man) and he is intending to do the official proposal when he is up here. I have almost all the paperwork filled out atm to help him out minus the BC/SSN etc that hes bringing with him and then hes going to file everything when he gets back home (this way we can photocopy things before he goes back so he doesnt have to send them all to me).

Now comes my concern...last night he was mugged on the way into his apartment. He wasnt hurt thank god but they got everything, his SSN, credit cards...everything. We called everywhere to get everything cancelled, put in a fraud alert on his SSN and stuff so I think we are all covered there. My concern is that they ask for his SSN and stuff on the forms and I wanted to know if anyone knows if this is going to make things harder. They shouldnt have had time to do anything before we got the fraud alert on I hope (we had most things done within 1/2 hour or so) but I know the fraud alerts add extra security to anything involving checking the SSN (credit checks, employment etc) and I didnt know if its going to make it harder for USCIS to get at any information they might need and if theres anything we can do or send to help make sure this isnt going to delay our case for a million years when we do send it in.

I've been awake pretty much all night tossing and turning trying to think of all the things we need to do for the K-1 and now for this too, so my mind is spinning. If anyone has any idea's it would be wonderful. Thanks so much!

The "N" in SSN stands for "number". I take it the card was stolen. That won't change the number. He just needs to write the number on the forms. No worries.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
This is :ot: why was he carrying his SSN card anyway?, should of left it at home where it belongs... :ot: ok :ot2:

Yeah I know...I have no idea why he had it in his wallet. I guess the only thing I was worried about was if it would make checking things harder. Of course he still has the number, but with a fraud alert on his number I didnt know if that would make things more difficult for any searches they might do on him to do with his SSN (I profess my innocence in knowing if they will look for anything other than tax info) because it would require him to give approval to any requests made with the number to make sure it was actually him who did it and not whoever might have gotten his card.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

If he's sending in a copy of his BC or passport (which he has to) I think it should be fine.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I have fraud alert on all of my cc's and personal info as someone has tried to hack into some of my accounts. This is a common enough occurence.

Now take a deep breath because the worrying only gets worse from here. ;)

good luck to you both and I hope they catch the bum that mugged him.

timeline.jpg

Timeline
I have fraud alert on all of my cc's and personal info as someone has tried to hack into some of my accounts. This is a common enough occurence.

Now take a deep breath because the worrying only gets worse from here. ;)

good luck to you both and I hope they catch the bum that mugged him.

Lol thanks. Im sure the next while will be full of stress and worrying about the whole visa. I just want to be with him even more now cuz I hate him going through things like this on his own. Ugh.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Everything is just fine, except for his bad scare. I have no idea where my Social Security card might be but have never been asked to show it. It is not really an official ID or anything, and if I really wanted it, I could easily get another from the SSA on request, maybe for a small fee. So can he.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.