Aymsgirl

Thursday

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

re: Transit visas. This is exactly why I'm arguing that the husband should apply for citizenship. He's not sure and I'm like :bonk: I want us to be able to travel easier. Heck, just going up to canada for a conference without having to get a visa would be nice.

re: Hawaii. My sister works for a congressperson from Hawaii who's sending her there at the end of January for work. Argh, not fair!

Kelly - the rubber ducky pics are beyond adorable!

It's f-in cold here, and I've misplaced my gloves somewhere. dur.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
re: Transit visas. This is exactly why I'm arguing that the husband should apply for citizenship. He's not sure and I'm like :bonk: I want us to be able to travel easier. Heck, just going up to canada for a conference without having to get a visa would be nice.

re: Hawaii. My sister works for a congressperson from Hawaii who's sending her there at the end of January for work. Argh, not fair!

Kelly - the rubber ducky pics are beyond adorable!

It's f-in cold here, and I've misplaced my gloves somewhere. dur.

That's the same thing that I told Jihed because he's maintained he doesn't want citizenship either. We've still got 2 years or so before he'd be able to, but it's for the exact reasons that you stated. With that American passport we could just up and go to 99% of the world without any headaches, but otherwise it's going to be exactly this every time we want to go anywhere. Does he need a transit visa? Does he need a visitor's visa? How long does it take to get it? How much is it? Maybe he'll come around. :wacko:

Edited by Ash * Habibati

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks Ash! I think we may just fly him to JFK and then he take Egypt Air this time. On Nwa I am only finding flights returning through Amsterdam but not to Cairo it is transiting through London. I am still at a loss on what to do. I need to move fast because we have a family crisis he needs to tend to. Thanks again.

Timeline
That's the same thing that I told Jihed because he's maintained he doesn't want citizenship either. We've still got 2 years or so before he'd be able to, but it's for the exact reasons that you stated. With that American passport we could just up and go to 99% of the world without any headaches, but otherwise it's going to be exactly this every time we want to go anywhere. Does he need a transit visa? Does he need a visitor's visa? How long does it take to get it? How much is it? Maybe he'll come around. :wacko:

*looks at timelines* We're actually only 2 months off from applying for citizenship :blink: I knew it was close, but not that close :wacko:

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I dunno if this helps but when my husband went through Gatwick once and Heathrow once, he got a transit visa good for 24 hrs both times. He did have his green card at the time. The first time he was alone and the second with me. He didn't have to ask them for it, but you could always ask if it's possible, just let them know you have a long layover. Not sure about Amsterdam cus we always go through London, Paris or Madrid.

*looks at timelines* We're actually only 2 months off from applying for citizenship :blink: I knew it was close, but not that close :wacko:

Jen,

I know a lot of ppl that use their US passport simply for travel and ease. THey maintain Egyptian citizenship. He actually would not lose any citizenship but have both. The only difference is that he will have so many more rights in the states (vote, travel more easily, access to citizen services if needed etc.) What is his hesitation?

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline
Jen,

I know a lot of ppl that use their US passport simply for travel and ease. THey maintain Egyptian citizenship. He actually would not lose any citizenship but have both. The only difference is that he will have so many more rights in the states (vote, travel more easily, access to citizen services if needed etc.) What is his hesitation?

Despite the craptastic government in egypt, he still loves his country and feels a deep sense of pride in being egyptian. Splitting the loyalty is a tough one for him. We'll have to sit down and talk about it soon, to see what's going on. I'm all for it. If we ever moved to the gulf, he'd have so many more opportunities as an american, especially for higher paying jobs.

irhal.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Did someone mention my Meca, Amsterdam, just the mere thought of this heaven is enough to make my day better.

419392Prinsengracht-Canal-Amsterdam.jpg

485-3902Keizers-Gracht-Amsterdam-Ho.jpg

Beautiful isn't it :yes:

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Mornin

Welcome back Donna!

MrsAmera....you doin all that yourself? I cant wait to get some sense of style up in my place.

Ash you are always so helpful...just when i think you are not around :unsure: you up and pop outta nowhere :luv:

Oh yeah..count me in on that move to Amsterdam. I was just telling my girlfriend there is far too much more traveling I want to do. I cant always go to Morocco...even though I like it there.

I think in 2011, if he can get a visa, we are going to stay with his brothers in Italy.

Star good to hear from you and see now that you have your plans underway. I cant wait to go back to Morocco.

We plan to in May 2010.

Work is work and thank GOD we are both working.

Last night I had to get hubby and 1am :blink:

I havent even had my coffee yet but I know I am going to need it probably more later on.

Have a good day

Cant wait until the whistle blows tomorrow at 5pm!!!!!!!!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Edited by sandrila

Timeline

Hehe, Amsterdam. I went through there on my way to Cairo in 2005. Since my layover was 8 hours, I decided I'd take the train to the city. I bought my little pop out map and a train ticket, and settled in for the ride. I was looking at the map to see where I wanted to go when a nice person came up to me and said, excuse me, are you going to Amsterdam? Why yes, yes I am. I'm sorry, but you're actually going to the wrong way :blink:

Got off the train at the next stop, managed to find the train to amsterdam, and got there with plenty of time to spare. Unfortunately, I was too freaked about taking the wrong train back to the airport and missing my flight that I only walked around for a half an hour. Then I got to spend 6 hours in the fine airport with no outlets and a laptop with a dead battery :huh:

irhal.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

sadrila - Yup going solo :) My mom was a home decorating marvel and taught me plenty along the way. I'm actually looking forward to doing it!! The only part I'm nervous about is putting down the new flooring in the bathroom but I have my fingers crossed and will take my time with it. We live in this crappy little 2 bdr apartment that I hate, so I'm hoping that if I put some work into I might actually like it....

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Jen,

Despite the craptastic government in egypt, he still loves his country and feels a deep sense of pride in being egyptian. Splitting the loyalty is a tough one for him. We'll have to sit down and talk about it soon, to see what's going on. I'm all for it. If we ever moved to the gulf, he'd have so many more opportunities as an american, especially for higher paying jobs.

That is interesting :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.