MayaLar

Prayer for Mother of Perpetual Help

93 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
To help others here understand the difference in culture - in the PI - over 80 percent of the population are Catholic, and their religious expression is much more openly expressed than here in the states. You could be in a store and here the daily announcement of a prayer - everyone, workers and patrons included, pause for the prayer.

I don't personally know the OP, but I would give the benefit of the doubt that she posted this prayer not to taunt anyone with her religious views, but because she is accustomed to openly expressing her spirituality in the PI.

IMO, this is an example of when an Organizer should have stepped in and moved this to the PI Forum.

I understand what you're saying, and it would not surprise me at all to find out she intended to post it somewhere else. But it's not the organizer's job to determine intent. All the OP needs to do is ask a moderator or organizer to move it, and that would be cool. But since the poster could conceivably have intended to post it here, it would be wrong to move it until the OP makes her intent clear.

I think it's wrong to assume that anyone who posts on VJ is aware of where to appropriately post a thread like this, let alone know the ins and outs of how to get someone to move it for them. In the meantime, this new member probably won't be coming back here now.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Good for them Steven. About 90% of people in Mexico are catholics. And I still do not need to hear them praying.

And please let's not confuse religion with spirituality. They are NOT the same thing, my brother. (F)

Sis, with all due respect, no one here is forced to read this thread, nor should they feel compelled to respond to it.

Thanks Steven, I see your point brother. Yet I read it -thinking it was a joke from the likes of the title-, and to say ####### this does not belong here. If that inflames the sensitivities of 12 year olds who will come in and say "curse you and your evil ways" (and you know I am not talking about you) I personally think they are a freaking joke; and an embarrassment to what they pretend to believe in.

I think it's wrong to assume that anyone who posts on VJ is aware of where to appropriately post a thread like this, let alone know the ins and outs of how to get someone to move it for them. In the meantime, this new member probably won't be coming back here now.

I disagree with the italicized part, but I do agree it's not obviously intuitive, especially for a foreigner, on how to get help. Maybe an organizer or mod could contact her, I don't know. I also sympathize with the sentiment that the OP could be driven off. But short of clamping down on the entire OT forum, I don't see a solution to that either. If the OP made a mistake, I hope she'll figure things out and not be discouraged.

Thanks Steven, I see your point brother. Yet I read it -thinking it was a joke from the likes of the title-, and to say ####### this does not belong here. If that inflames the sensitivities of 12 year olds who will come in and say "curse you and your evil ways" (and you know I am not talking about you) I personally think they are a freaking joke; and an embarrassment to what they pretend to believe in.

I'll just add that nobody is entitled to have their beliefs respected. If you believe in an invisible man that does magic stuff, I'm glad you have a hobby but do not expect me to respect it. Plenty of people don't respect my non-religious beliefs, and I don't cry about it or try to turn it into a hate crime. I either deal with it or ignore it.

The problem with religion is the demand for respect and the lengths their adherents go to in order to get it. If everyone could get over that #######, religion could be relegated to the likes of astrology and witchcraft, and we might actually see people get along.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I disagree with the italicized part, but I do agree it's not obviously intuitive, especially for a foreigner, on how to get help. Maybe an organizer or mod could contact her, I don't know. I also sympathize with the sentiment that the OP could be driven off. But short of clamping down on the entire OT forum, I don't see a solution to that either. If the OP made a mistake, I hope she'll figure things out and not be discouraged.

Captain Ewok could restrict anyone from posting prayers here on VJ. Although to some, that might sound radical, it would prevent people from being put off by it. I personally think it's ok to say, "say a prayer for my family," but to post a prayer in a public forum, IMO, is a bit overbearing. That said, I don't think a new member who is a foreigner should be tarred and feathered for doing so.

Captain Ewok could restrict anyone from posting prayers here on VJ. Although to some, that might sound radical, it would prevent people from being put off by it. I personally think it's ok to say, "say a prayer for my family," but to post a prayer in a public forum, IMO, is a bit overbearing. That said, I don't think a new member who is a foreigner should be tarred and feathered for doing so.

She joined july 2008 -- not a new member. And people around here get ####### for less --- even you and I brother.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

stfu atheist

god bless you and your family,

Amen

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Timeline

God is my pastor, god is my friend, I have mighty god to defend my brown a$$,

Repent yourself!

U got the devil in you but Christ our lord will save you because one who repents is worth more than 100 believers

Amen

01/25/13 Check cashed

So who is this perpetual mutha?

Mutha Bingo, in Perpetuity. Or at least that's what I was told.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Timeline
God is my pastor, god is my friend, I have mighty god to defend my brown a$,

Repent yourself!

U got the devil in you but Christ our lord will save you because one who repents is worth more than 100 believers

Amen

-_- I pray to Joe Pesci. He's more effective

:o You just made her cry

Roper.jpg

01/25/13 Check cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Why doesn't one of the Organizers move this to the PI Forum? I don't think the OP was intentionally inviting a flame war over religion.

I disagree on the move request. There's nothing to indicate the OP's intent was to post anywhere but here. Let the OP request it be moved if that was her intent.

I think the thread is where God wanted it to be.

and it is not a flame war Steven --- but #######, really. This is not a prayer forum.

Seriously, the OP was not inviting an argument or ridicule of her religious beliefs or practices. Will one of the Organizers please move this to the PI Forum?

done to prevent further hijacking.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

blasphemy.jpg

Thank you so much for my new wallpaper. :lol:

You have just made a houseful of Catholics very happy.

As for praying for a visa, St Rita and St Jude might be more appropriate. For non catholics they are respectively the patron saints of the impossible and of hopeless cases.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.