B74L

K-1, K-3, or CR-1 option

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thx a lot in advance for the feedback, and valuable input..the past feedback has been tremendous ..

K1, K3, CR-1 visa ..

My Thai Fiancee is able to spend every Saturday in the US (Florida--she is a manager on cruise boat)--we are so ready to pave the way for the CR-1 visa---it really sounds like the way to go. I would greatly appreciate your feedback on the following:

-since we are able to meet every weekend in Florida (albeit only for a day)..we do have the option to get married here in the US, and obtain a US marriage certificate. So, in applying for her US visa, we are able to apply for: K1, K3, or CR-1. I understand the CR-1 takes a bit longer---but given all 3 choices (we dont mind waiting a bit longer for the CR-1, since it does provide the best options once she is here)--does the route via CR1 visa seem the best? the CR-1 route is really what I am considering. I tend to feel that, given the advantage, it is best to go the CR1 route.

-are we really in a favorable position that we can get a US marriage certificate, and go ahead for the CR-1? If it matters--we have been in a relation strong since 2005. Do you see that, since we can get married here in the US, that it is a unique position, considering applying for her visa?

Does anyone see any pro's/con's in the application process, when applying for the CR-1... versus the K1 K3? I am not at all about short cuts -- but I see a clear advantage here we have..in that we can get married here, in the US, and thus apply for the CR-1.

If we are married, and obviously provide the certificate...are we/she, subject to the same stringent interview process as a K1 (or k3?) visa, in Bangkok?

When she does have the interview in BKK--is it recommended that I also be there? Does that matter?

Many many thanks for your most valuable feedback ... regards ... !!

Thx a lot in advance for the feedback, and valuable input..the past feedback has been tremendous ..

K1, K3, CR-1 visa ..

My Thai Fiancee is able to spend every Saturday in the US (Florida--she is a manager on cruise boat)--we are so ready to pave the way for the CR-1 visa---it really sounds like the way to go. I would greatly appreciate your feedback on the following:

-since we are able to meet every weekend in Florida (albeit only for a day)..we do have the option to get married here in the US, and obtain a US marriage certificate. So, in applying for her US visa, we are able to apply for: K1, K3, or CR-1. I understand the CR-1 takes a bit longer---but given all 3 choices (we dont mind waiting a bit longer for the CR-1, since it does provide the best options once she is here)--does the route via CR1 visa seem the best? the CR-1 route is really what I am considering. I tend to feel that, given the advantage, it is best to go the CR1 route.

-are we really in a favorable position that we can get a US marriage certificate, and go ahead for the CR-1? If it matters--we have been in a relation strong since 2005. Do you see that, since we can get married here in the US, that it is a unique position, considering applying for her visa?

Does anyone see any pro's/con's in the application process, when applying for the CR-1... versus the K1 K3? I am not at all about short cuts -- but I see a clear advantage here we have..in that we can get married here, in the US, and thus apply for the CR-1.

If we are married, and obviously provide the certificate...are we/she, subject to the same stringent interview process as a K1 (or k3?) visa, in Bangkok?

When she does have the interview in BKK--is it recommended that I also be there? Does that matter?

Many many thanks for your most valuable feedback ... regards ... !!

If she is visiting you in the US legally check on getting married here, staying here and having her adjust status.

If you can pull that off {Should be able to] I'll send you a bill!!! LOL

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

He will send you a bill when it fails.... entry as a ship or air crewman is prohibited from adjusting status from inside the USA...

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

He will send you a bill when it fails.... entry as a ship or air crewman is prohibited from adjusting status from inside the USA...

Exactly. To answer the OP's question though, just check the local marriage laws. I doubt you'll have any problem getting married in Florida. You might have to get the license on one visit and marry on another. Getting a marriage license does usually require both parties to appear at a a County office on a weekday though. She may need to take some time off to accomplish this. After you're married, there should be no problem continuing to visit so CR1 would seem ideal to me.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks for your time and feedback. Just to clarify--she only has a US work visa, and must maintain residence on the ship only. However, every weekend, while the ship is docked at shore, she is legally able to come ashore and spend the day in the US (Florida in this case). And thx for the heads-up on unable to change her status as a ship crew member.

There are some items that I am not fully clear on--for example, lets say we go the CR-1 visa route, will she HAVE to legally adjust her status BEFORE we apply for the CR-1? Is that a "set in stone" requirement for her to do before we go the CR-1 route? Or can that be done at any time? Or does SHE have to do that when she returns to Thailand? Or is that someting I should do? Does her name on the CR-1 visa application paperwork have to reflect my last name? Wasnt sure what impact that had on the process. It may have a huge impact? I was thinking that, in the visa application, just the marriage certificate alone, was really what counted most.

Unfortunately, we only have one weekend day every weekend..so no go on going to the court house, unfortunately (closed on weekends). However, I do see that one can get the Florida marriage license by mail (at a high cost)--take a few days max to mail it to me. Then I would guess arrange a civil ceremony the next possible weekend.

Would you recommend discuss this with the local county clerk's office? Would this topic be a bit over their head?

In any event--greatly value your kind input. I certainly have alot to learn about this process--but clearly, I do not want to go thru this process, only to discover that it is a dead end from the start (the CR-1 visa route that is). Bottom line--assuming that we get the marriage license, and go thru a civil ceremony, obtain the legal marriage certificate---is that all that should be initially required to apply for the CR1 visa? Do we HAVE to have her status legally changed before we apply for CR-1?

Many thx again ..

OOPS! It was would have been nice. You'd think if she has a US work visa she could adjust status. Guess I missed that!

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Thanks for your time and feedback. Just to clarify--she only has a US work visa, and must maintain residence on the ship only. However, every weekend, while the ship is docked at shore, she is legally able to come ashore and spend the day in the US (Florida in this case). And thx for the heads-up on unable to change her status as a ship crew member.

There are some items that I am not fully clear on--for example, lets say we go the CR-1 visa route, will she HAVE to legally adjust her status BEFORE we apply for the CR-1? Is that a "set in stone" requirement for her to do before we go the CR-1 route? Or can that be done at any time? Or does SHE have to do that when she returns to Thailand? Or is that someting I should do? Does her name on the CR-1 visa application paperwork have to reflect my last name? Wasnt sure what impact that had on the process. It may have a huge impact? I was thinking that, in the visa application, just the marriage certificate alone, was really what counted most.

Unfortunately, we only have one weekend day every weekend..so no go on going to the court house, unfortunately (closed on weekends). However, I do see that one can get the Florida marriage license by mail (at a high cost)--take a few days max to mail it to me. Then I would guess arrange a civil ceremony the next possible weekend.

Would you recommend discuss this with the local county clerk's office? Would this topic be a bit over their head?

In any event--greatly value your kind input. I certainly have alot to learn about this process--but clearly, I do not want to go thru this process, only to discover that it is a dead end from the start (the CR-1 visa route that is). Bottom line--assuming that we get the marriage license, and go thru a civil ceremony, obtain the legal marriage certificate---is that all that should be initially required to apply for the CR1 visa? Do we HAVE to have her status legally changed before we apply for CR-1?

Many thx again ..

With a CR 1 visa there is no adjustment of status. You just have to be legally married, either here or in Thailand. Then you can file an I-130 for her. My vote would be for the CR 1 and the immediate green card.

Thai Mom

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Many thx again ..

With a CR 1 visa there is no adjustment of status. You just have to be legally married, either here or in Thailand. Then you can file an I-130 for her. My vote would be for the CR 1 and the immediate green card.

Thai Mom

Right, the CR1 visa is going to require an interview in her country of legal residence. Once the CR1 is in the passport, she enters the US with the new status of US Legal Permanent Resident. From that point forward her crew member visa is void and no longer relevant.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.