homeward

Civil Wedding in U.S. Currently on Working Visa

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

I am currently on a working visa (L1) with validity until 2012. I and my U.S. citizen girlfriend will have our civil wedding in March this year here in the U.S. Afterwards, we plan to have our church wedding in my country (Philippines) in December this year.

Will there be issues in coming back to the U.S. if I keep my working visa status? Is a change of status to Green Card holder advisable/better option straight after the wedding?

Please advise!

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Do you plan to stay in the US after your work visa expires or will the two of you move back to the Phils?

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

L-1 is a dual intent visa so intent to immigrate is not an issue.... Just keep the L-1 active or give yourself the time to change your status

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Do you plan to stay in the US after your work visa expires or will the two of you move back to the Phils?
Yes, if plan on staying the US, then apply to adjust status.

Start here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

Moving to the AOS sub-forum for AOS from Visitors/Student/Work visa.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Timeline

I would. I also was on a working visa, and got laid off. It's terrible to be conditioned to stay here only by your employer desires. Specially with this economy, you never know what can happen. I feel relieved now that I don't have to depend on work to stay here.

Hi,

I am currently on a working visa (L1) with validity until 2012. I and my U.S. citizen girlfriend will have our civil wedding in March this year here in the U.S. Afterwards, we plan to have our church wedding in my country (Philippines) in December this year.

Will there be issues in coming back to the U.S. if I keep my working visa status? Is a change of status to Green Card holder advisable/better option straight after the wedding?

Please advise!

12-13-2010....RoC

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
Hi,

Please advise!

I would suggest that you apply for your GC as soon as you get married. You may remain on your L1 if you like, but in today's economic times, anything is possible and if you happen to lose your job that would put you in a bad situation. Its better to apply for adjustment of status to be on the safer side. And if you apply for AOS right after your marriage, also apply for AP (Advanced Parole) along with it, so that you get a travel permit also. In this way you can safely go to the Phillipines and get married too incase your conditional GC does not come by December. But based on the timelines, if you do apply by March/April, you should get the conditional GC by October/November anyway.

MY TIMELINE

11/21/2008 - I-130, I-864, I-485, I-765, I-131 - Package sent.

11/25/2008 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox.

12/05/2008 - Checks Cashed and NOA1 date (DAY 1)

12/12/2008 - NOA1 & Biometrics received dated 12/5 (DAY 8)

12/22/2008 - Received RFE letter by USPS (DAY 18)

12/23/2008 - Mailed back RFE requirements (DAY 19)

12/31/2008 - Case processing resumed for I-485 (DAY 27)

01/02/2009 - Biometrics Appointment (DAY 29)

01/30/2009 - EAD Card production ordered (on hubbz's birthday!! What a nice present from USCIS!) (DAY 57)

02/02/2009 - Got email for AP approved as of 1/30. (DAY 60)

02/09/2009 - Received EAD and AP in mail. (DAY 67)

03/24/2009 - Interview at 1pm - APPROVED! (Thank God! DAY 115)

03/27/2009 - Received Welcome Letter and NOA2 for I-485 and I-130. (Day 118)

04/02/2009 - Received Green Card. (Day 124)

12/24/2010 - Time to file for removal of conditions - I-751

01/03/2011 - Mailed I-751 package to VSC

01/04/2011 - I-751 received and signed for at USCIS

01/07/2011 - Check cashed by USCIS

01/12/2011 - Received NOA dated 01/05/2011

01/29/2011 - Received Biometrics appointment notice dated 1/20/2011

02/03/2011 - Biometrics Appointment (Great sunny day. In and out in 10 minutes! Very pleasant folks.)

03/10/2011 - Status online changed to Approved & USCIS mailed approval notice and card

03/14/2011 - Received 10yr green card in mail (Praise the Lord!)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline
Hi,

Please advise!

I would suggest that you apply for your GC as soon as you get married. You may remain on your L1 if you like, but in today's economic times, anything is possible and if you happen to lose your job that would put you in a bad situation. Its better to apply for adjustment of status to be on the safer side. And if you apply for AOS right after your marriage, also apply for AP (Advanced Parole) along with it, so that you get a travel permit also. In this way you can safely go to the Phillipines and get married too incase your conditional GC does not come by December. But based on the timelines, if you do apply by March/April, you should get the conditional GC by October/November anyway.

Just remember as long as your L1 is valid, you can travel freely as many times as you want in and out of the U.S. Once you apply for AOS, if you decide to get an EAD at the same time, as soon as you use the EAD your L1 will become invalid - otherwise it will remain valid until you actually get your greencard.

03/01/2007 - POE - JFK (L-1 Visa)

01/15/2008 - Proposed

03/15/2008 - Married

09/02/2008 - Sent AOS Package (I-130, I-485, I-693)

09/03/2008 - Received - Signed by SMITH

09/04/2008 - Checks deposited

09/10/2008 - Checks cleared ($1010 + $355)

09/12/2008 - 2 NOA's received (I-130, I-485) - Dated 09/08/08

09/16/2008 - Received notice for biometrics appointment on 09/30/2008

09/20/2008 - Biometrics done - Walk in (Orlando) Took 10 minutes

09/22/2008 - I-485 viewable online (pending, of course)

09/30/2008 - Biometrics Appointment (2pm)

12/30/2008 - Received Interview Letter

02/25/2008 - Interview

03/06/2008 - Welcome Letter received (the website will clearly never send me updates!)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

THANKS ALL! :)

Hi,

Please advise!

Just remember as long as your L1 is valid, you can travel freely as many times as you want in and out of the U.S. Once you apply for AOS, if you decide to get an EAD at the same time, as soon as you use the EAD your L1 will become invalid - otherwise it will remain valid until you actually get your greencard.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.