15 posts in this topic

Has any of you POE in New York ( Newark) to be exact after getting your Visa. How was the experience with immigration ??

And if you had to catch another flight to California at New York, did you get to take your luggage first before dealing with immigration, or immigration first, then head off to get the luggage. I'm asking because I've heard that it could take several hours with immigration, and what if your luggage gets lost while you are away for hours, that's why I wanted to know if you got to take your luggage first :) ???

Thank you for reading this :)

Timeline:

January 27 2006: submitted and approved I-130 in Copenhagen, Denmark

March 23 2006: Interview, submitted I-601 waiver

May 2 2006: London recieves waiver

August 21 2006: waiver approved woo hoo

October 3 2006: arrived in the US

And-I-Go-WEEEE.jpgBear.gif

Newark is supposed to be very good so no worries there. I've only used them on VWP and they've been nothing but lovely. You always deal with immigration before customs. Don't worry about your luggage - if you are held up with immigration for a long time, let them know and they will go and collect your cases for you. If that doesn't happen the airline will pick them up and then you can go and get them from there. It's rarely a problem so don't panic too much about it ;)

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

I went through Newark recently and although it was a long wait(I guess it just the wrong time of day), I had no problems at all. You can read my POE experience via the link at the bottom of my signature. It's just a shame that my wife and 8-month old daughter had to wait around in the Immigration Hall for 2 hours(the immigration officer suggested it was best to wait out there rather than in secondary inspection, as it is a smallish room). There are no seats at all in the immigration hall :(

Didn't do any transfers so I can't advise you on that bit. I guess you would have to pick up your luggage at Newark and take it to transfers or something(I have no idea). Just make sure you leave more than enough time to transfer from your international flight to the domestic one.

As for your luggage, you'll be fine, I know I was in good hands with British Airways. The BA Representative at Newark got all our luggage off of the luggage belt and kept an eye on it in the baggage hall downstairs. She was great!

Anthony & Caitlin's Visa Journey

======================

Oct 2001 - Met on an internet dating website

10/21/2001 - Met in person for the first time in London!

Nov 2002 - Anthony & Caitlin get engaged in London!

03/20/2003 - Anthony & Caitlin get married in the UK :)

04/30/2005 - I-130 completed and sent off

05/03/2005 - Forgot to send it Marriage certificate, sent by post!

05/09/2005 - London Embassy notifies us of receipt of I-130

06/02/2005 - Pkt 3 received

08/02/2005 - Pkt 3 completed and sent back

09/30/2005 - Pkt 4 received - Interview date set for 4th November

09/09/2005 - First child is born! Baby girl named Brianna :)

Sept 2005 - Went to get up-to-date TD and MMR shots at local doctors

10/17/2005 - Medical exam in London

11/04/2005 - Interview at London Embassy - GOT THE VISA!!

04/30/2006 - First trip back to the States since getting visa - MRIV in passport stamped!

05/09/2006 - Flew back to the UK to complete sale of apartment

05/17/2006 - Received 'Welcome to the United States' letter

05/30/2006 - Green Card arrives in mail!! - Waiting for SSN now

07/10/2006 - The big move to Ohio!!

07/11/2006 - SSN doesn't arrive in mail, Anthony applies in person

07/18/2006 - Received SSN!!

08/22/2006 - Anthony gets his Ohio drivers license - journey is finally complete!!

Read my POE Experience in Newark

Thank you for sharing your experiences, everyone :)

Londonspod,

It sounds like you had to wait for quite some time. I guess I'm going to pick a flight that has 3-5 hours before taking off to California. I hope I wont have to talk to the officer you said was screaming at everybody :o

Thank you for easing my mind regarding the luggage, I wouldn't want it to go missing it NY and delay things even further, I'm thinking that I'm too stressed out at that point, also travelling alone at that time :)

Is Newark a large airport or small??? never been there before :)

Timeline:

January 27 2006: submitted and approved I-130 in Copenhagen, Denmark

March 23 2006: Interview, submitted I-601 waiver

May 2 2006: London recieves waiver

August 21 2006: waiver approved woo hoo

October 3 2006: arrived in the US

And-I-Go-WEEEE.jpgBear.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I came through Newark on the VWP, and found it to be a pleasant place. They let you outside to have a cigarette in between flights :lol:

As far as the size, it's hard for me to say because I didn't have to change terminal or anything for my ongoing flight.

Good luck getting through in the speediest time possible with the nicest officer!

:star:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Londonspod - that's just awful that it took 2 + hrs!! I had no idea. :( My husband, myself, and our 7 1/2 month old son are flying into Newark on June 21. Same BA flight, gets in around 5:30pm. I thought maybe an hour tops but 2 hours, wow! It's going to be such a long day for us. What a nightmare really.

So you went through the same line as Americans do, right? I just don't understand how you were in the room before everyone else and still had to wait.

Really hoping it does not take us 2 hours. I'm really worried about our luggage just sitting there too. Guess I'll just tell my family to wait at home till we're done.

06/18/04 - Moved to UK on Fiance Visa

12/16/04 - Married in Devon, UK

03/17/05 - Upgraded to LLTR Visa

09/27/05 - Mailed off I-130 & Got approved

11/10/05 - Son born

11/23/05 - Packet 3 from Embassy

11/29/05 - Mailed off Pt. 1 DS-201

02/02/06 - Medical Exam in London

02/08/06 - Mailed off DS2001 Checklist

03/24/06 - Interview at 9:00AM - APPROVED!

06/21/06 - Flight to NJ

06/26/06 - Husband starts his new job

Londonspod,

It sounds like you had to wait for quite some time. I guess I'm going to pick a flight that has 3-5 hours before taking off to California. I hope I wont have to talk to the officer you said was screaming at everybody :o

Thank you for easing my mind regarding the luggage, I wouldn't want it to go missing it NY and delay things even further, I'm thinking that I'm too stressed out at that point, also travelling alone at that time :)

Is Newark a large airport or small??? never been there before :)

Don't worry about the screaming guy, I think he was only dealing with people coming in to renew their visas or something(maybe he was having a bad day! :lol:) It's a different part to where you sign the papers and give your fingerprints, 'cos they need a room for that.

Newark is a big airport, but not as big as JFK. They have 3 terminals. I don't know what airline you're flying into the US on, but if it's BA, they fly into Terminal B. Domestic flights are probably in one of the other two terminals. I would check out the Newark Airport website(click on 'Newark Liberty' on the left-hand side to get to the airport pages)to be certain how long it might take to get between terminals. They have 'Airtrain' which is a monorail-type train going between the terminals, so this helps.

Londonspod - that's just awful that it took 2 + hrs!! I had no idea. :( My husband, myself, and our 7 1/2 month old son are flying into Newark on June 21. Same BA flight, gets in around 5:30pm. I thought maybe an hour tops but 2 hours, wow! It's going to be such a long day for us. What a nightmare really.

So you went through the same line as Americans do, right? I just don't understand how you were in the room before everyone else and still had to wait.

Really hoping it does not take us 2 hours. I'm really worried about our luggage just sitting there too. Guess I'll just tell my family to wait at home till we're done.

I'm hoping that it doesn't take you that long either JenniferB. I guess I was just unlucky! I don't know how I still had to wait even though I got in the secondary inspection room before the other flights arrived! :unsure:

I would suggest that if you have a baby stroller for your son to sit in or a baby sling to hold him, take it with you when you fly. BA made us check-in the stroller at the gate, but it was so much easier having it and when we got to Newark and the BA Rep even got the stroller from the Baggage hall and brought it upstairs so at least my daughter has something to sit in(shame my wife couldn't sit anywhere!). Also, take an extra couple of nappies(diapers)and bottles of formula, just in case there is a long wait. You're son will be glad you had them, I guarantee it!

The reason I went through the American line was 'cos they had signs as you enter the hall stating 'This way for US Citizen, Alien Residents and new immigrants visa holders' or something. I'm glad I did to be honest, as the line for everyone else was already getting long, even before we arrived!

Don't worry about the luggage being left downstairs, as they have Customs officers down in the Baggage hall, so it's safe.

If you and beetee4ever are both lucky enough, you might be helped out by the same BA rep we had! I think her name was Anna-Marie or something, my wife says she had long hair and was Hispanic. If you see her tell her I told you two she was a great help!

======================

04/30/2006 - First trip back to the States since getting visa - MRIV in passport stamped!

08/22/2006 - Anthony gets his Ohio drivers license - journey is finally complete!!

Wow, I had a totally different experience of Newark both on the VWP and with my K1 visa.

The US citizens line was really long, and the visitors line was really short. So we waited for about 10 minutes in line, then I was taken to a room at the side which had a few other people in it, waited for about 5-10 minutes and then I was called to the desk and was on my way. I found it incredibly easy. But I dunno, maybe it was because it was New Years Day?

I'm figuring it'll probably just vary then. I remember once seeing an officer hand someone their immigration packet & they were just waiting against the wall. This was in October. So maybe they didn't have anyone at that hour doing their "POE".

BA said we can take the stroller right up the plane & we'll insist on it. Definitely plan on taking along extra food & diapers. Oh the other hand, I bet if the baby started screaming, they would wanna rush us right out of there! hehe j/K :)

Thanks for the info. We have a back-up plan if the wait is too long. I'll go ahead & leave with my parents with half the luggage -- then the husband can take a taxi to their house with the rest of it.

06/18/04 - Moved to UK on Fiance Visa

12/16/04 - Married in Devon, UK

03/17/05 - Upgraded to LLTR Visa

09/27/05 - Mailed off I-130 & Got approved

11/10/05 - Son born

11/23/05 - Packet 3 from Embassy

11/29/05 - Mailed off Pt. 1 DS-201

02/02/06 - Medical Exam in London

02/08/06 - Mailed off DS2001 Checklist

03/24/06 - Interview at 9:00AM - APPROVED!

06/21/06 - Flight to NJ

06/26/06 - Husband starts his new job

I'm figuring it'll probably just vary then. I remember once seeing an officer hand someone their immigration packet & they were just waiting against the wall. This was in October. So maybe they didn't have anyone at that hour doing their "POE".

BA said we can take the stroller right up the plane & we'll insist on it. Definitely plan on taking along extra food & diapers. Oh the other hand, I bet if the baby started screaming, they would wanna rush us right out of there! hehe j/K :)

Thanks for the info. We have a back-up plan if the wait is too long. I'll go ahead & leave with my parents with half the luggage -- then the husband can take a taxi to their house with the rest of it.

Sounds like you got it all worked out :)

Just a word of wanring with the storller. We got told when we were trying to board the plan at the gate with my daughter's stroller that it is down to the discretion of the pilot at the the time as to whether they let you take it on board. Their policy is only that you are allowed to take it as extra checked-in luggage in addition to the 2 pieces of luggage per person(1 for the baby). We got told that we had to check the stroller in at the gate(I tried to argue about it, but they weren't budging). :( Mind you, it wasn't too far to walk after we got to the gate anyway(had to take a bus to the plane, but that was just 5 mins)

I think it may be a bit busier at this time of year, so just be prepared(looks like you're well prepared!)

Good luck!

======================

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My experiences at Newark are as many as they are uneventful. Really smooth....but I am the USC.

I did notice that when my flights arrived after 11pm....they moved us thru quickly and customs was like, whatever, get home safe. They checked no luggage nor did they ask any questions.

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Hi everyone!

I have been reading the posts of this thread and I must say I am very worried now!!!!

I fly to San Francisco via JFK tomorrow on Delta airlines. My first flight arrives at 13:15 in terminal 3 and my connecting internal flight to SF leaves at 15:29 from the same terminal, leaving 2 hours 15 mins between flights.

Will this be enough time? especially as some people have said that you should give about 4 HOURS!!! god I don't want to miss my connecting flight! I wanted to also request a temp EAD at the POE. How long will it take go through immigration or does that just depend on a whole buch of things???

I'm getting worried about this now

:unsure:

It's more than likely that you will have enough time, Paul, especially as it's in the same terminal. If it's not, do not panic as you will be booked on the next flight with no problems. Immigration is like asking how long is a piece of string. It depends on timing of flights, weather conditions, number of immigrants coming through...all sorts. JFK are pretty swift being one of the major POEs so I would say relax and enjoy the ride.

Edited by Lou Lou

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just an observation but Newark, is not in New York. My parents ended up flying in there on their way to visit me. I had a car service pick them up because I didnt want them wandering around the airport. Its not in the best area of town shall we say.

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.