one...two...tree

An Honest Discussion About Fil/Am Relationships

104 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Two Years ago,I have once encountered such degrading thoughts about "mail to order bride" though it wasn't directly said but the idea of talking negatively about it to someone who have met her husband in a dating site somehow made me feel bad. I'm not ashamed. Why should I? I just felt bad a little because I've heard it direct to someone I considered to be my friend. My close friend. So i told her straight.. if you don't want me to be your friend anymore because "you think" the same as how other people think about a filipina marrying someone they met in the net..then it's ok. I'm not going to force you. She is a nurse and residing that time here in the US. One day I found out that she went back to the Philippines to get married to an American man whom she met in the net,in a dating site. She was in Illinois and the guy was from Texas. Now she is with him in Texas.

There is always a negative and positive response to the choice we made. As well as there are people who will be happy for you and there are also people who will look at you as "mail to order bride" . Personally, I don't care! It's a state of mind. I just take what positive people can say and I am more concern about how to make my marriage life always blooming and happy together with my husband. Negative people are just there to ruin your marriage. What important for me is to be a good wife and a loving mother in the future. I don't consider myself a "mail to order bride" because I know I am not!.

Just my opinion!

Vida Taylor

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Two Years ago,I have once encountered such degrading thoughts about "mail to order bride" though it wasn't directly said but the idea of talking negatively about it to someone who have met her husband in a dating site somehow made me feel bad. I'm not ashamed. Why should I? I just felt bad a little because I've heard it direct to someone I considered to be my friend. My close friend. So i told her straight.. if you don't want me to be your friend anymore because "you think" the same as how other people think about a filipina marrying someone they met in the net..then it's ok. I'm not going to force you. She is a nurse and residing that time here in the US. One day I found out that she went back to the Philippines to get married to an American man whom she met in the net,in a dating site. She was in Illinois and the guy was from Texas. Now she is with him in Texas.

There is always a negative and positive response to the choice we made. As well as there are people who will be happy for you and there are also people who will look at you as "mail to order bride" . Personally, I don't care! It's a state of mind. I just take what positive people can say and I am more concern about how to make my marriage life always blooming and happy together with my husband. Negative people are just there to ruin your marriage. What important for me is to be a good wife and a loving mother in the future. I don't consider myself a "mail to order bride" because I know I am not!.

Just my opinion!

Vida Taylor

Thanks for sharing that. :)

I have a distant relative who my parents are close to. When she heard about my long distance relationship with a Filipina, she told my parents that I should run far away from this girl because they knew someone who was scammed by a young Filipina looking for charity over the internet. And of course, my parents felt obliged to share this with me. I keep in contact with this relative through occasional family emails, but it wasn't until recently that she finally said she hopes to meet my wife soon.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Question 1 - for American men: Did you seek out Filipinas through a dating agency or marriage broker, and if so, why?

YES. My friend is married to a Filipina for 5 years and is very happy after 3 failed marriages with american women .My 2 previous marriages failed and I thought an asian wife would be different so I browsed the internet.

Question 2 - for the Filipinas: Did you ever place an ad or set up a profile with any international dating agency or marriage broker, and if so, why?

Myla's cousin did. She was 37 years old, never been married, a nurse and a lawyer and it seemed the men were intimidated and those who pursued her were younger and she wanted someone older than her so her cousin who at that time was engaged with an american set up her profile in Heartsinasia and thats where I saw her profile. Thank God for internet dating :)

Question 3 - for the American men: What are the differences (including physical) between your Filipina spouse and your ex-wife?

My first ex-wife was petite, beautiful but materialistic and got into drugs so I left. When I married her, I loved her very much and we have two beautiful daughters. We were married for 15 years. She is 10 years older than me. Myla gets along with her .

My second ex-wife was 300 lbs ( she was 170 when I met her ) , manipulative, lazy, a liar and I married her because she was pregnant with my second son. Even now that she has my sons 25 days in a month and I pay her a huge child support, she still tries hard to turn my sons against me and take my time away from them. But I have two wonderful sons who love me very much and thats the only good thing that came out of the relationship.

Myla is smart, funny, beautiful and the most unselfish person I have ever met. She left everything to be with me. She grew up with maids and money and I am not a rich man but she is happy and contented with what I give her and doesn't complain at all. Like me, she makes the most of what we have. She adores my children and takes care of my two sons. She is not perfect because she is also stubborn and speaks her mind and I respect her more because of that. We have a happy relationship and marrying her was the best decision I have ever made in my life. I know I will be lost without her. She is 8 years younger than me.

Question 5 - for the Filipinas: What are the differences (including physical, age) between your kano spouse and your last boyfriend or ex-husband?

I've never lived with a man before ( until now ) other than my father so it is hard to make a comparison. One thing I know, Joe loves me unconditionally and makes me laugh 24/7. I may have left everything in the Philippines to relocate here but Joe is all worth it. I love him with all my being.

Joe and Myla

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Timeline
Question 1 - for American men: Did you seek out Filipinas through a dating agency or marriage broker, and if so, why?

YES. My friend is married to a Filipina for 5 years and is very happy after 3 failed marriages with american women .My 2 previous marriages failed and I thought an asian wife would be different so I browsed the internet.

Question 2 - for the Filipinas: Did you ever place an ad or set up a profile with any international dating agency or marriage broker, and if so, why?

Myla's cousin did. She was 37 years old, never been married, a nurse and a lawyer and it seemed the men were intimidated and those who pursued her were younger and she wanted someone older than her so her cousin who at that time was engaged with an american set up her profile in Heartsinasia and thats where I saw her profile. Thank God for internet dating :)

Question 3 - for the American men: What are the differences (including physical) between your Filipina spouse and your ex-wife?

My first ex-wife was petite, beautiful but materialistic and got into drugs so I left. When I married her, I loved her very much and we have two beautiful daughters. We were married for 15 years. She is 10 years older than me. Myla gets along with her .

My second ex-wife was 300 lbs ( she was 170 when I met her ) , manipulative, lazy, a liar and I married her because she was pregnant with my second son. Even now that she has my sons 25 days in a month and I pay her a huge child support, she still tries hard to turn my sons against me and take my time away from them. But I have two wonderful sons who love me very much and thats the only good thing that came out of the relationship.

Myla is smart, funny, beautiful and the most unselfish person I have ever met. She left everything to be with me. She grew up with maids and money and I am not a rich man but she is happy and contented with what I give her and doesn't complain at all. Like me, she makes the most of what we have. She adores my children and takes care of my two sons. She is not perfect because she is also stubborn and speaks her mind and I respect her more because of that. We have a happy relationship and marrying her was the best decision I have ever made in my life. I know I will be lost without her. She is 8 years younger than me.

Question 5 - for the Filipinas: What are the differences (including physical, age) between your kano spouse and your last boyfriend or ex-husband?

I've never lived with a man before ( until now ) other than my father so it is hard to make a comparison. One thing I know, Joe loves me unconditionally and makes me laugh 24/7. I may have left everything in the Philippines to relocate here but Joe is all worth it. I love him with all my being.

Joe and Myla

Thanks Joe and Myla for sharing that! :):thumbs: You two do seem very happy together and that's what really counts.

Timeline

Question # 1 - Not Applicable

Question # 2 - No, I never did. I met my fiance while we were both graduate students at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces. Matter of fact, I never had in my mind that I might desire to immigrate to the U.S.A. someday. And up to now, I still have not decided if I really want to move to the U.S.A., as I live very nicely and well here in the Philippines. I also have thoughts of going to the Spanish Embassy here in Manila to apply for Spanish citizenship and take advantage of the newly enacted "law of grandchildren" in Madrid. This law allows anyone whose parents or grandparents were born in Spain but went overseas because of some special reasons to become Spanish citizens and those accepted do not have to renounce their current citizenship.

I don't have anything against anyone who pimps herself in cyberspace. It's just not my type to try it as I have a lot of amor propio in me! :thumbs:

Question # 3 - Not Applicable

Question # 4 - Caramba, where's numero cuatro?

Question # 5 - The difference lies mainly in the physical appearances. Both are intellectuals; my ex-boy friend is into business and industry here in Manila and my fiancee is a scientist at Los Alamos in New Mexico. I still can't fathom why my ex-boyfriend and I broke up, although my two year absence in Manila (while at school in Las Cruces) might have prompted the separation. He's still a bachelor and we are still friends, and who knows what's in store if I don't go to the U.S.A.

aka Señorita Tessa, Señora Bonita, Mariquita Linda, Muñequita Linda, Amor Perdido y Chaparrita Chula!

Timeline
Question # 1 - Not Applicable

Question # 2 - No, I never did. I met my fiance while we were both graduate students at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces. Matter of fact, I never had in my mind that I might desire to immigrate to the U.S.A. someday. And up to now, I still have not decided if I really want to move to the U.S.A., as I live very nicely and well here in the Philippines. I also have thoughts of going to the Spanish Embassy here in Manila to apply for Spanish citizenship and take advantage of the newly enacted "law of grandchildren" in Madrid. This law allows anyone whose parents or grandparents were born in Spain but went overseas because of some special reasons to become Spanish citizens and those accepted do not have to renounce their current citizenship.

I don't have anything against anyone who pimps herself in cyberspace. It's just not my type to try it as I have a lot of amor propio in me! :thumbs:

Question # 3 - Not Applicable

Question # 4 - Caramba, where's numero cuatro?

Question # 5 - The difference lies mainly in the physical appearances. Both are intellectuals; my ex-boy friend is into business and industry here in Manila and my fiancee is a scientist at Los Alamos in New Mexico. I still can't fathom why my ex-boyfriend and I broke up, although my two year absence in Manila (while at school in Las Cruces) might have prompted the separation. He's still a bachelor and we are still friends, and who knows what's in store if I don't go to the U.S.A.

Thanks for the honest reply, but your answer to #5 - sounds like you are keeping your options open relationship wise? :unsure:

I met my wife on Filipinahearts.com. I wasn't sure where to meet a filipina, so I found that website. Afer recovering from the death of my 3rd wife, I dated around, but I just couldn't get past the different attitudes of some of the women I was dating. Deep down, I always had a desire to meet a Filipina or a woman of Asian descent.

I had a small Ad to hopefully find a man who would love me for me. I was very hesitant, but I am glad that I took that chance.

I don't like to compare, so I will leave this one alone....

My husband is alot stronger and muscular that my ex-bf and my husband goes to work everyday. He is more responsible.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Question 6 - for the American men who didn't meet their Filipina spouse through a dating service or marriage broker, what stories or rumors had you heard about those sites and the kinds of Filipinas you'd find?

I am not an American man but I know stories too. :unsure: Well, I know one guy who went through Filipinaheart site to find a wife. He's Filipino-American and he did meet someone, the girl was much younger [10+ years] and cute...fast forward, he went home to visit her for the first time...turns out she was two-timing him. She had another American boyfriend [this time Caucasian] who answered her cell phone while she was in the shower. The Fil-Am guy was sending her about 600 bucks a month...I don't know if she asked or he just wanted to send it to her. I did not asked him why. Anyway, he's with another Filipina now whom he met while vacationing in the Philippines. Other than that, the American men [not just Fil-Am] I know who are with Filipina women are...one whom they met while visiting the Philippines or the ones they met while the Filipina was in the US [usually for work, school...I only know one who was here as a Tourist, met a guy, went back home to Philippines waiting for their K1 visa to get approved...fast forward...they have a child together she is now US citizen.]

Question 7 - for the Filipinas who didn't join a dating service or marriage broker, what stories or rumors had you heard about the kinds of men you'd find that way?

I was in one of those Comedy clubs in the Philippines and the comedian would go to the audience to chat with them and get them in the act. The comedian went up to this White guy [he was British, older ] with his Filipina wife [not that young but younger than the guy] and talked to them and stuff...anyway, before he left them he said something in Bisaya to the woman..."you better be careful 'coz he might kill you and bury you in cement under the staircase!"...of course he said it jokingly but I hear that story a lot. The fear that the man they meet online will be abusive...and worse...will kill them. Well, it's not just a rumor really...for some it actually happens. Fortunately, for most, it's the complete opposite.

Fate is building a bridge of chance for the one you love...

K1 (I-129F) to CSC to Manila Embassy, Philippines

Sent : 01-28-2006 / Interview: 09-14-2006 / POE: 10-11-2006 / Applied for SSN card: 11-17-2006 / Received SSN card: 11-27-2006 / Got Hitched: 11-09-2006 !!!

AOS and EAD Application

Sent via USPS Priority: 11-28-2006 / Received @ Chicago: 12-01-2006 / NOA1 AOS & EAD: 12-06-2006 / Biometrics Appt: 12-22-2006 / Interview Date: 03-13-2007 / EAD Card Production Ordered: 02-15-2007 / EAD Card Sent: 02-20-2007 / EAD Card Received: 02-22-2007

[Approved: 03-13-2007 / GC Received: 03-22-2007 / CA License Issued: 04-12-2007 / Removing Conditions: 12-13-2008]

Removing Conditions

Sent via USPS Priority: 12-19-2008 / Received @ CSC: 12-22-2008 / NOA: 12-25-2008 / Biometrics Appt: 01-14-2009 / Card Production ordered: 02-13-2009 / GC Received: sometime in March 2009

Timeline

I met my wife on Filipinahearts.com. I wasn't sure where to meet a filipina, so I found that website. Afer recovering from the death of my 3rd wife, I dated around, but I just couldn't get past the different attitudes of some of the women I was dating. Deep down, I always had a desire to meet a Filipina or a woman of Asian descent.

I had a small Ad to hopefully find a man who would love me for me. I was very hesitant, but I am glad that I took that chance.

My husband is alot stronger and muscular that my ex-bf and my husband goes to work everyday. He is more responsible.

Thank you, Danny and Ruchie! :thumbs::yes: You two are another success story. :)

Timeline

It could be yes or no. I met my wife at yahoo chat in June of 2000 accidentally her cousin was teaching her how to use yahoo in a roomful of stangers. It was also my second time to use yahoo chat one of my officers was also teaching me to chat and she's talking to a pinay. I have no desire to remarry being single for 22 yrs moreso fly thousand miles to find a wife.

I will if my husband and I didn't make it this far lol.

My ex-wife ran off with another man she was our HS prom queen but is now 300lbs. My wife is 4'11 intelligent (a degree holder) earns more than me what does a man can ask for lol! She has the biggest heart, sweet, very good christian lady, very supportive, patient, never jealous (I met a Vietnamese during one of my trips to Strugis dated her for a few months with my pinay fiancee waiting for me in the PI it was in 2004 I was a dog) and she was very possessive and manipulative a far cry from my wife. Can you imagine I've strated talking to my wife in 2000 we started to exchange forwarded emails and started the relationship in 2003 but I only came to visit her in Jan 06, she has the patience of Job. When I met her personally she was very pretty and cute so I knew I'm gonna marry her.

My exbf was "chinito", homebody, geek like me while husband is very outgoing and very good looking... I just love him for what he is nothing more...

Arrival in the US 02-22-07

Married 04-05-07

Filed AOS/EAD 04-25-07 (priority mail)

Received at Chicago lockbox 04-28-07

Check encashed 05-02-07

Received biometrics letter 05-10-07

Biometrics sked 06-1-07 @ Charlotte, NC

Transferred to CSC 06-01-07

CRIS email confirming transfer to CSC 06-08-07

Touched 06-10-07 (Someone is working on a sunday)

EAD approval 7-9 (CRIS email received 7-14)

AOS 1st touched 7-17 pm since transfer to CSC

AOS 2nd touched 7-18 am

AOS 3rd touched 7-19 around 9am then around 12:48 CRIS email came AOS card prodution!

AOS 4th touched 7-20 9:27am Welcome letter

AOS welcome letter in the mail 7/21

EAD card received 7/21

Green card received 7/26

Immigration free till 7/18/09

I-751

Sent application 04-18-09

Check cashed on 04-22-09

Received on 05-05-09

Received Bio Sked 05-14-09

Bio Schedule 06-01-09

And then the wait.....

*** ps didn't apply for SS id or driver's permit not until 8 days before my I-94 expired and was told to wait for my EAD or greencard which ever comes first huh!

*** apply for SSS, driver's license passed 7/23

Malditang Pinay

www.maldita12.blogspot.com

Timeline
Question 6 - for the American men who didn't meet their Filipina spouse through a dating service or marriage broker, what stories or rumors had you heard about those sites and the kinds of Filipinas you'd find?

I am not an American man but I know stories too. :unsure: Well, I know one guy who went through Filipinaheart site to find a wife. He's Filipino-American and he did meet someone, the girl was much younger [10+ years] and cute...fast forward, he went home to visit her for the first time...turns out she was two-timing him. She had another American boyfriend [this time Caucasian] who answered her cell phone while she was in the shower. The Fil-Am guy was sending her about 600 bucks a month...I don't know if she asked or he just wanted to send it to her. I did not asked him why. Anyway, he's with another Filipina now whom he met while vacationing in the Philippines. Other than that, the American men [not just Fil-Am] I know who are with Filipina women are...one whom they met while visiting the Philippines or the ones they met while the Filipina was in the US [usually for work, school...I only know one who was here as a Tourist, met a guy, went back home to Philippines waiting for their K1 visa to get approved...fast forward...they have a child together she is now US citizen.]

Question 7 - for the Filipinas who didn't join a dating service or marriage broker, what stories or rumors had you heard about the kinds of men you'd find that way?

I was in one of those Comedy clubs in the Philippines and the comedian would go to the audience to chat with them and get them in the act. The comedian went up to this White guy [he was British, older ] with his Filipina wife [not that young but younger than the guy] and talked to them and stuff...anyway, before he left them he said something in Bisaya to the woman..."you better be careful 'coz he might kill you and bury you in cement under the staircase!"...of course he said it jokingly but I hear that story a lot. The fear that the man they meet online will be abusive...and worse...will kill them. Well, it's not just a rumor really...for some it actually happens. Fortunately, for most, it's the complete opposite.

Thank you for the honest replies. :)

Timeline

It could be yes or no. I met my wife at yahoo chat in June of 2000 accidentally her cousin was teaching her how to use yahoo in a roomful of stangers. It was also my second time to use yahoo chat one of my officers was also teaching me to chat and she's talking to a pinay. I have no desire to remarry being single for 22 yrs moreso fly thousand miles to find a wife.

I will if my husband and I didn't make it this far lol.

My ex-wife ran off with another man she was our HS prom queen but is now 300lbs. My wife is 4'11 intelligent (a degree holder) earns more than me what does a man can ask for lol! She has the biggest heart, sweet, very good christian lady, very supportive, patient, never jealous (I met a Vietnamese during one of my trips to Strugis dated her for a few months with my pinay fiancee waiting for me in the PI it was in 2004 I was a dog) and she was very possessive and manipulative a far cry from my wife. Can you imagine I've strated talking to my wife in 2000 we started to exchange forwarded emails and started the relationship in 2003 but I only came to visit her in Jan 06, she has the patience of Job. When I met her personally she was very pretty and cute so I knew I'm gonna marry her.

My exbf was "chinito", homebody, geek like me while husband is very outgoing and very good looking... I just love him for what he is nothing more...

Good, honest reply! Thank you! :thumbs::yes:

Too funny.... all these people answering with a capital NO so basically yelling NO as if they are saying "OMG, online dating??? me??? never!!!" as if online dating is for the desperate I guess they are thinking.

I met my fiance online, went to the RP to see her 4 times, talked to her twice a day for hours for over a year... blah, blah, blah.

My take these days on spending lots of time together before marriage: All these people who knew each other for years and years before marrying and had kids together after marriage ended up divorced... what does knowing each other for years really do? I no longer think spending years together makes any difference.... Americans, the Brits, Canadians... the industrialized world has proven it makes no difference.

Yeah, you got a point there, DEDixon. I met my husband on penpalnet.com. I don't know if you call it a dating site, but yes. I met him through that site. He told me he wasn't looking for a Filipina. He wasn't looking for anybody. He was thinking about opening a "night" club in Costa Rica. So he was looking for contacts in Latin America. I was looking for a penpal because I was bored going to work, going home, get some sleep and then go back to work again the next day.

So we did end up together. Fate has its own way of doing things huh! But then again, my husband says, quoting Rommel, "Chance favors the prepared mind."

Edited by sonomacountygal

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Thank you, Danny and Ruchie! :thumbs::yes: You two are another success story. :)

Thank you Steve! No marriage is perfect, but we are Happy! :thumbs:

No, in fact I was set already to remain single all my life after failed relationships in the past

No, we met when I answered his posted question in Yahoo Music

Never been married before

My ex-bf pales in comparison to my husband. He is loving, understanding, mature and we share the same values despite of our different cultural background

K1 Timeline

02/26/2007 - Filed I-129F

03/08/2007 - NOA1

06/05/2007 - NOA2

09/10/2007 - Interview

09/13/2007 - Visa Received

12/14/2007 - Flight to USA, POE-LAX

02/22/2008 - Wedding Date

AOS

05/29/2008 - I-485 received at Chicago Lockbox

06/19/2008 - Biometrics

08/25/2008 - Card production ordered

08/30/2008 - Green Card received

ROC

07/15/2010 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

07/19/2010 - NOA1

07/21/2010 - Check cleared

08/11/2010 - Biometrics

08/24/2010 - Card production ordered

08/27/2010 - Approval notice received

08/30/2010 - Green card received

N400 - Naturalization

08/08/2011 - Mailed N400 to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

08/12/2011 - NOA

08/15/2011 - Check cashed

09/07/2011 - Biometrics

09/09/2011 - Case status update - In line for testing & interview

09/13/2011 - Case status update - Interview scheduled

09/16/2011 - Interview appointment letter received from the mail

10/31/2011 - Test/Interview - Passed

12/07/2011 - In line for Oath Ceremony Scheduling

01/27/2012 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.