bryonm4

looking for help in Vietnam

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Need help with getting married in Vietnam, my boss will only give me between 2 and 3 weeks off from work. I have spoken with many people on this site that have married in Ho Chi Minh in that amount of time. However my fiancée is in Vietnam and the people that are willing to help her with the paperwork have told her it is harder to do now. They have told her it takes between 27 and 45 days. One person wants 400 to help her and an additional 2K to do it in 3 weeks but no guarantees. Trans Vietnamese is not so good she is only fluent in Cantonese so she cannot do the papers herself. I did find a company over here to help me do the papers but they will not help her over there. If anybody could recommend somebody in Ho Chi Minh or if somebody over there knows somebody that can help her I’d appreciate it.

Since none of my family members can afford to fly over to Vietnam for the wedding that will also hurt our chances. I could tell them I’m planning a second wedding in America but I don’t think that would help. Since I have to pay for the wedding party before I go out there I could try to get married then if I run out of time just have a second engagement party for her friends and neighbors with 10 tables, the first one we had was only 1 table.

If anybody has the link of the list of things to put in her name like my bank account, house, life insurance and so on, I want to do that as soon as we get married unless I have to wait until she gets over here to do that.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-05

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-08-04

Interview Date : 2008-11-06

Interview Result : Denied 2008-12-05

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Marriage : 2009-04-13

I-130 Sent : 2009-04-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-04-29

I-130 Approved : 2009-09-09

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-05

Packet 4 Received : 2009-11-13

Interview Date : 2009-12-23

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2010-01-07

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

By my side happy everafter 02-19-10

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

file for fiance visa... [K1] I guess getting married in the US is much easier than getting married abroad! it takes shorter time for her to get K1 visa than K3..

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : [ Egypt ]

Marriage : 03-08-2003

I-130 Sent : 04-20-2008

I-130 NOA1 : 04-25-2008

Touched : 05-01-2008

TOUCHED: 09-29-2008

TOUCHED: 09-30-2008

APPROVED: 01-07-2009

Interview Date... [?!]

I-129F Sent Finally!: 06-10-2008

I-129F NOA1 : 06-20-2008

I-129F TOUCHED : 07-14-2008

I-129F TOUCHED : 10-28-2008

APPROVED: 01-07-2009

Medical Examination: Done

Still Waiting...: The Truth about Immigration (Funny but true!)

Timeline
file for fiance visa... [K1] I guess getting married in the US is much easier than getting married abroad! it takes shorter time for her to get K1 visa than K3..

Since our first K1 was denied as a scam not a bonafied relationship the lawyer I hired has told me the K3 would be better to file but I can do either. I did get some free consults from other lawyers that told me to do a K3 because they have never seen a K1 get approved after it was denied or it was complicated or to exotic of a procedure. Since I have to resolve the reasons why the first K1 was denied before they will issue a K1 or K3 then I don’t know what makes the K3 so much of a better choice. I’m still very worried about her passing the K3 interview as her English and Vietnamese is not that good and that’s why we were told to do a K1 the first time. She was nervous during the first interview and her English was not that good so they had a hard time understanding her and the fact I only made 1 trip there didn’t help matters. They are also upset since they think her brother played match maker.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

Timeline

I'm getting desperate I feel the only option I have but not sure if its a good one is to sell my house quit my job and go to vietnam on a 90 visa get married and see if they will extend the visa then file for the CR1 then hopefully when she has the interview she will pass. I'm worried if I go there and they mail me something to rebut the NOIR or NOID I will miss it also since I will only be making about 60$ a week I will not have enough income over the poverty level to bring her over. It might also backfire and they might think im crazy for doing that and still deny us.

Edited by bryonm4

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

Since our first K1 was denied as a scam not a bonafied relationship the lawyer I hired has told me the K3 would be better to file but I can do either. I did get some free consults from other lawyers that told me to do a K3 because they have never seen a K1 get approved after it was denied or it was complicated or to exotic of a procedure. Since I have to resolve the reasons why the first K1 was denied before they will issue a K1 or K3 then I don’t know what makes the K3 so much of a better choice. I’m still very worried about her passing the K3 interview as her English and Vietnamese is not that good and that’s why we were told to do a K1 the first time. She was nervous during the first interview and her English was not that good so they had a hard time understanding her and the fact I only made 1 trip there didn’t help matters. They are also upset since they think her brother played match maker.

Have you looked into traveling to other countries to be married? Bali comes to mind as a country where you can marry quickly.

If you are prepared to quit your job then I think I would ask your employer for the max amount of time you can get off, go there try to get married in that time, if it takes longer then extend to as long as it takes to marry, and simply tell your employer you could not get back in time. Depending on the time they may or may not fire you but if your ready to quit anyway why not risk it, that would be better than quitting before you know if it really necessary.

I think you will find there are ways for you to expedite the marriage once you are there. Its always easier to do things in person in my experience.

It may be that you will need to go there eventually. Personally it is something I would do, but I would not do it rashly. It may be you could rent your house instead of selling it while you were gone or until the real estate market improves. You may find employment in countries other than Nam, and you and your wife could move and live there. Also after you are married you could see how you like basically commuting to vietnam as often as possible to see your wife. I commute to the phipippines and after about the 6th trip you get used to the jet lag :whistle:

There are lots of life style options you could pursure after you are married. I'd take it one step at a time, get the marriage out of the way first. Then plan from there...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

As an aside, a K-3 interview will occur in the country of marriage.... a marriage outside of Vietnam will provide for an interview at a consulate other than HCMC.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

Have you looked into traveling to other countries to be married? Bali comes to mind as a country where you can marry quickly.

If you are prepared to quit your job then I think I would ask your employer for the max amount of time you can get off, go there try to get married in that time, if it takes longer then extend to as long as it takes to marry, and simply tell your employer you could not get back in time. Depending on the time they may or may not fire you but if your ready to quit anyway why not risk it, that would be better than quitting before you know if it really necessary.

I think you will find there are ways for you to expedite the marriage once you are there. Its always easier to do things in person in my experience.

It may be that you will need to go there eventually. Personally it is something I would do, but I would not do it rashly. It may be you could rent your house instead of selling it while you were gone or until the real estate market improves. You may find employment in countries other than Nam, and you and your wife could move and live there. Also after you are married you could see how you like basically commuting to vietnam as often as possible to see your wife. I commute to the phipippines and after about the 6th trip you get used to the jet lag :whistle:

There are lots of life style options you could pursure after you are married. I'd take it one step at a time, get the marriage out of the way first. Then plan from there...

I was thinking about going over there for 3 weeks and if it takes longer keep changing my plane ticket in for a later flight but if they fire me for it I could never reapply for another state job again where as if I quit and come back they would hire me if there was another job opening.My boss is against this he told me to find an american girl when I asked for the time off and it seems whatever amount of time I need to get married he will give me 1 week less. I'm going to ask him if he will let me work remote and if he turns me down I will go to his boss. HR has told me they cannot do anything there hands are tied so I assume his boss will tell me the same thing.

I have one friend I trust to move into my house and his lease is up in july and my morgage is less than his rent payment however with utilities he would be paying more so I would have to help him with the utilitlies unless he rents out the basement. I already checked into moving to another country Canada however I do not quailify for the perfered workers program the lawyer told me that if I had a job offer that could change things he also said things are going to change very soon between Canada and the US so im not sure what that means but I have already applied at a few jobs with no luck and most other asian countrys close to Vietnam you are lucky to make 100.00 a month. I could live in a house with her family they have 6 rooms they are about 8x10 foot there are 12 people that live there but I wouldnt' have to pay rent and Tran and I would either get our own room or we would have to share one with her older sister. The only bad part is where they make the food and thats on the floor so its not very sanitary and the 2 times I ate at her house I got very sick.

She can go to China, Thiland, and Cambodia with her passport I don't think she can go to bali. I was told it is hard to get a visa in China however since she is fluent in cantonase I think it would be easier than it was in Ho Chi Minh. There is alot of turmoil right now in Thialand so I don't know how hard that would be to get married there. I have mentioned to her many times we should get married in another country however she thinks it would be allot harder to do than it would be in Vietnam. She is worried about the interview and the paperwork will be in another language and she will have trouble with it. I don't know how that would look since Vietnam is high fraud and we were denied the k1 as a scam they might deny the visa based on that alone.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

It is possible to get a plane ticket with an open return. That may be cheaper than paying change fees.

The fact that you are working for the state is a good thing. Your bosses claim that you should marry an american girl is totally unaccaptable. Additionally, it is discrimatory. He has absolutly no right to dictate who you can or cannot marry. I would make a big stink about that comment. Go to your HR department. Tell them you are being discriminasted against. Tell them you want an unpaid leave of absence to marry your vietnamese fiance and tell them that if you are fired because you took the time to marry her you plan to see them in court. :dance: Document everything. First thing Monday ask you boss in writting to to verify in writting that he is against your marraige to a vietnamese woman and that you should marry an american.

I really think you should be able to get the state to give you an unpaid leave of absence. If nothing else as a way to avoid a lawsuit...

As I say I'd get married first and then make big changes in your lifestyle after that..as that quite a change in and of itself.

Timeline
It is possible to get a plane ticket with an open return. That may be cheaper than paying change fees.

The fact that you are working for the state is a good thing. Your bosses claim that you should marry an american girl is totally unaccaptable. Additionally, it is discrimatory. He has absolutly no right to dictate who you can or cannot marry. I would make a big stink about that comment. Go to your HR department. Tell them you are being discriminasted against. Tell them you want an unpaid leave of absence to marry your vietnamese fiance and tell them that if you are fired because you took the time to marry her you plan to see them in court. :dance: Document everything. First thing Monday ask you boss in writting to to verify in writting that he is against your marraige to a vietnamese woman and that you should marry an american.

I really think you should be able to get the state to give you an unpaid leave of absence. If nothing else as a way to avoid a lawsuit...

As I say I'd get married first and then make big changes in your lifestyle after that..as that quite a change in and of itself.

My boss won't put it in writing unless I trick him or something. I did go to the head of HR but they said there hands are tied if my boss says I can't be gone for 3 weeks then they cant do anything about it. I actually have about 5 weeks of vacation time.

From what I'm reading it's very easy to get a visa from Thailand. They don't use gastapo like questioning or have all sorts of quirky requirments they actually trust what you say instead of dispiseing everything you say. Most people I have read about got there visa's approved from there. She is convinced that since she is Vietnamise that they wont give her the visa in Thailand. I told her they should but im not 100% sure about that myself. I have seen a bunch of people get denied the K1 in Vietnam and getting married in Vietnam then applying for a K3 or CR1. You would think that because Vietnam is so hard to get the visa approved and marriage takes so long there that most of the people would have gotten married in another country as well. I know sometimes they like to go to where you live and question your neighbors to see if its a valid realtionship and if we have the Wedding in Thailand I don't think there will be anybody from either of our families attending however I could have a wedding party 6 months after the wedding and 6 months before her interview for her family, neighbors and friends. I'm not sure thats something that's normally done or if that would even work.

Thanks for the tip on the open return I dind't even know there was such a thing.

Edited by bryonm4

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

My boss won't put it in writing unless I trick him or something. I did go to the head of HR but they said there hands are tied if my boss says I can't be gone for 3 weeks then they cant do anything about it. I actually have about 5 weeks of vacation time.

From what I'm reading it's very easy to get a visa from Thailand. They don't use gastapo like questioning or have all sorts of quirky requirments they actually trust what you say instead of dispiseing everything you say. Most people I have read about got there visa's approved from there. She is convinced that since she is Vietnamise that they wont give her the visa in Thailand. I told her they should but im not 100% sure about that myself. I have seen a bunch of people get denied the K1 in Vietnam and getting married in Vietnam then applying for a K3 or CR1. You would think that because Vietnam is so hard to get the visa approved and marriage takes so long there that most of the people would have gotten married in another country as well. I know sometimes they like to go to where you live and question your neighbors to see if its a valid realtionship and if we have the Wedding in Thailand I don't think there will be anybody from either of our families attending however I could have a wedding party 6 months after the wedding and 6 months before her interview for her family, neighbors and friends. I'm not sure thats something that's normally done or if that would even work.

Thanks for the tip on the open return I dind't even know there was such a thing.

Go to the HR office and tell them you want your bosses comments documented in your HR file. Put in the exact words that he told you and that your boss is refusing to give you more than 3 weeks because he said you should marry an american girl not a vietnamese. Tell them you dont care if their hands are tied or not, you want it documented. If they refuse ask who is next in the chain of command and talk to them, do not give up until it is documented in your file. Also note in your file that you have 5 weeks vacation coming.

Thailand could be a good option. What you want to do at this point is get married not worry about where. An actual bonafide marriage that you have carefully documented is what you want at this point. It dosent matter where it occurs. Your girl friend is spending to much time worrying about what may happen. Get things done that will help you now is most important and the thing that will help you most is getting married.

For me I put my marriage and family first. Getting a visa is fine but the most important thing is the marriage and family. Dont allow the process to dictate your personal choices. Since you work for the state you are probably not as anti-government as I am :whistle: but for me I do what is best for us.

You stated at the first of this you are prepared to give up your job, sell your house and go there. If that is actually the case it seems to me where you marry is irrelevant .... get 'er done. Btw I suspect just about any consulate will be easier in your case...

Edited by geezer

Timeline

Go to the HR office and tell them you want your bosses comments documented in your HR file. Put in the exact words that he told you and that your boss is refusing to give you more than 3 weeks because he said you should marry an american girl not a vietnamese. Tell them you dont care if their hands are tied or not, you want it documented. If they refuse ask who is next in the chain of command and talk to them, do not give up until it is documented in your file. Also note in your file that you have 5 weeks vacation coming.

Thailand could be a good option. What you want to do at this point is get married not worry about where. An actual bonafide marriage that you have carefully documented is what you want at this point. It dosent matter where it occurs. Your girl friend is spending to much time worrying about what may happen. Get things done that will help you now is most important and the thing that will help you most is getting married.

For me I put my marriage and family first. Getting a visa is fine but the most important thing is the marriage and family. Dont allow the process to dictate your personal choices. Since you work for the state you are probably not as anti-government as I am :whistle: but for me I do what is best for us.

You stated at the first of this you are prepared to give up your job, sell your house and go there. If that is actually the case it seems to me where you marry is irrelevant .... get 'er done. Btw I suspect just about any consulate will be easier in your case...

I emailed the Thailand consulate in Washington DC and asked them if I could marry my Vietnamise Fiancee in Thiland and if she can apply for a visa in Thailand that way when they reply to me I will have evedence to show her that it can be done. She thinks I have been given wrong information and since I trusted the lawyer last time and was wrong I have not heard the end of it and never will. I'm going to tell her im deeply sorry and I have learned my lesson and she needs to trust me to do what best for us and when she gets over here she can have her say for the rest of our lives.

I would rather marry her in Thailand than Vietnam because it seems like you have to bribe everybody to get anything done and I'm not rich so they will lose my buissness. The only problem now is finding a lawyer that can help me to the revocation. I was going to use Marcus Ellis but he only works out of Vietnam and I don't know if there are many lawyers that have expeirnce with them like he does. If they mishandle it the 221g denial will become a 212 and she will be barred for life.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

Timeline

I just got an email from an attorny and it was very sadding news. The lawyer asked me why I was denied my K1 and here is what I told him

221 g not a bonafide relationship that it was a scam. They said I only came there 1 time and asked her to marry me they also stated she didn't awnser some questions about me correctly. I think they were concered because her brother tried to set her up with a friend of mine and he had a fiancee so he gave her picture to me and we started to talk online. They said I proposed to soon after meeting her, I met her december 12th 07 and asked her to marry me december 15th 07 but they ignored the fact that we were talking online since april 28th of 2007.

His reply as follows

Byron,

Not much you can do about that, Byron. See http://www.apexvisa.us/courting.html and go down to the paragraph where it says:

"These early dates are used by the US Consulate officer, who interviews your sweetheart, to determine the length of time the couple spent getting to know each other. These dates are measured against the time of first communication date, and the date the immigration petitioning forms are dated. This time span tells the officer how long you've known each other before making a decision to make a marriage commitment."

AND

"Any effort made to get to know each other better, after the petitioning forms are sent in, doesn't count. The reason is you're making the decision to marry between those dates, not after. The officer will make a judgment as to whether you could actually get to know each other well enough to make a marriage commitment for life in that period of time. He/she will also want to read some of the correspondence to see if the couple are really trying to get to know each other."

According to your explanation, you knew each other for only 3 days before making a marriage commitment!! All communication after that decision doesn't count in building a relationship. You can't agree to marry in 3 days and then build the relationship AFTER that.

This case cannot be appealed - at least will be denied on appeal. You are not allowed to file another petition for her in 2 years. However, you could go over and marry her and then go with a Relative & K3 visa combination. But this info of making a commitment in just 3 days of meeting is on record. So it could still be used as a scam (previous fraud violation - no "bona fide" marriage intent). We list this on our web site under the button called Critical Info! - - The word "Critical" is there for a reason. Now you know why.

According to this email from the attorny it seems that even if I do marry her there is no hope because they will just ignore the rest of my evedence.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

I just got an email from an attorny and it was very sadding news. The lawyer asked me why I was denied my K1 and here is what I told him

221 g not a bonafide relationship that it was a scam. They said I only came there 1 time and asked her to marry me they also stated she didn't awnser some questions about me correctly. I think they were concered because her brother tried to set her up with a friend of mine and he had a fiancee so he gave her picture to me and we started to talk online. They said I proposed to soon after meeting her, I met her december 12th 07 and asked her to marry me december 15th 07 but they ignored the fact that we were talking online since april 28th of 2007.

His reply as follows

Byron,

Not much you can do about that, Byron. See http://www.apexvisa.us/courting.html and go down to the paragraph where it says:

"These early dates are used by the US Consulate officer, who interviews your sweetheart, to determine the length of time the couple spent getting to know each other. These dates are measured against the time of first communication date, and the date the immigration petitioning forms are dated. This time span tells the officer how long you've known each other before making a decision to make a marriage commitment."

AND

"Any effort made to get to know each other better, after the petitioning forms are sent in, doesn't count. The reason is you're making the decision to marry between those dates, not after. The officer will make a judgment as to whether you could actually get to know each other well enough to make a marriage commitment for life in that period of time. He/she will also want to read some of the correspondence to see if the couple are really trying to get to know each other."

According to your explanation, you knew each other for only 3 days before making a marriage commitment!! All communication after that decision doesn't count in building a relationship. You can't agree to marry in 3 days and then build the relationship AFTER that.

This case cannot be appealed - at least will be denied on appeal. You are not allowed to file another petition for her in 2 years. However, you could go over and marry her and then go with a Relative & K3 visa combination. But this info of making a commitment in just 3 days of meeting is on record. So it could still be used as a scam (previous fraud violation - no "bona fide" marriage intent). We list this on our web site under the button called Critical Info! - - The word "Critical" is there for a reason. Now you know why.

According to this email from the attorny it seems that even if I do marry her there is no hope because they will just ignore the rest of my evedence.

I think you need to face the fact that it is going to take time to get a visa. But it you really want to marry her I'd do that and deal with getting a visa afterwards. The US government can't prevent you from marrying her all they can do is make it difficult to get a visa for entry into the USA.

I have been commuting to see my wife and daughter for going on to four years now and I have gone there more than a dozen times. The reasons for doing that are different than yours but being apart has not prevented us from having a wonderful marriage and family life and we are deeply in love.

My feeling is I'll get the visa whan I get the visa. I have concentrated on my marriage and family and as a byproduct to that I have a bonafide marriage for immigration purposes that can survive any questions they may ask.

If you really want to marry her do it, and if your life with her, even while apart, is half a good as mine you will be a very happy man.

Timeline

His reply as follows

Byron,

AND

I think you need to face the fact that it is going to take time to get a visa. But it you really want to marry her I'd do that and deal with getting a visa afterwards. The US government can't prevent you from marrying her all they can do is make it difficult to get a visa for entry into the USA.

I have been commuting to see my wife and daughter for going on to four years now and I have gone there more than a dozen times. The reasons for doing that are different than yours but being apart has not prevented us from having a wonderful marriage and family life and we are deeply in love.

My feeling is I'll get the visa whan I get the visa. I have concentrated on my marriage and family and as a byproduct to that I have a bonafide marriage for immigration purposes that can survive any questions they may ask.

If you really want to marry her do it, and if your life with her, even while apart, is half a good as mine you will be a very happy man.

I love her more than ever but I worry how hard it will be on her. I want to have a child with her also. The problem is I only get 2 weeks off a year to spend with her, maybe I can get a job at the US consulate over there, hehe. From what I understand she will lose the appeal and it will become a 212 so she will be barred for life. The irony in all of this is I love her as much or more than most of the people that got there visa's approved im willing to give up my job, life, health, and country to be with her and they have the guall to say its not bonafide or that we are running a scam.

How can they ignore the fact that I have emails that date back to 04/28/07 and they are still on the yahoo server so they cannot be altered. We also have letters postmarked months before when they said we met. How can they ignore that evedence? I think they wanted to deny it because I only made 1 trip and they couldn't use that as the only reason so they had to pile on a bunch of stuff where they could fudge the evedence or say it was scam in order to deny it.

They asked her when we met she told them when we met in december of 07 because thats when we met in person. They asked her when she got msn messinger and yahoo she told them 2006. They had me write a chornology and I stated we started talking april 28th 2007 but durning the interview they never asked her that question of when we started talking online.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

A good lawyer would have qualified you 1st and asked a Series of questions and decided if your case was ideal to go on and he would let you know the chances of your case being denied or not. Before I married my wife and when I first started getting to know her I called a random lawyer up just to inquire about the whole process. He told me from the start that I would have to have known her at least 6 month or more. He wouldn't talk to me more until he knew that I known my, at the time, GirlFriend had know me more than that. If you feel it would have been an obstacle in the 1st place you should have taken the time to develop more of a relationship with your fiancee before proceeding. It's good you seeking different legal advice from Marc Ellis. From what I have read here he seems real competent to give you better legal for your case. GOOD LUCK!

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.