Nikita2Charles

Does your Country charge Foreigner more than Local?

30 posts in this topic

I never complained much due to the currency advantage when I am in India, but for the sake of fairness,

Is it fair I have to pay 30-40% extra for the same domestic airfare, book at the same time, siting right next to each other.

PAY 10X more than the local to go to a Museum, Went to visit this Palace, my wife got to experience it 1st hand, been to several parts of india so it's kinda normal since I got used to it, but charging 20 Rupees for local and a WHOPPING 200 Rs. for the same ticket doesn't seem reasonable, maybe a small percentage difference but 10 times more is crazy.

Just don't feel it's too tourist friendly to keep overcharging foreigners.

What if we would start charging extra for everybody that's here on H1, B1/B2 to visit our museums, for their airfare ticket?

Edited by Nikita2Charles

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: Other Timeline

This really bothers me in Nepal, too. There is the excuse 'well, locals pay taxes' but then why do foreigners not have to pay to go to the Smithsonian since they do not pay US taxes? When I was in the UK 13 years ago anyone could enter museums without paying whether you were local or not, and they are tax-supported. Like not allowing foreigners to enter Hindu temples, claiming a 'bideshi' can never be Hindu(despite a certificate from Arya Samaj saying otherwise), the thing that bothers me most coming from an America post-civil rights perspective is it all boils down to race - I can be wearing a Punjabi suit, speak Nepali, married to a Nepali, even live in Nepal for 10 years yet because of my European ancestry will always be a 'tourist'(which is used synonymously with 'foreigner') in some people's eyes. It is a really hard concept to deal with since as Americans we are not supposed to notice race or make any assumptions based on it - it is law, in fact. That said, sometimes when Govi showed our marriage certificate and I spoke Nepali to the ticket clerk I was able to pay local price so a lot of times it depends on the individual in question.

Edited by Pattu Rani

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

• 4 weeks later...

When ever my husb and I are in Philippines and we go to a resort I let him go and get the room , when we are at the market its hard for him to make a deal when I am standing next to him , cuz they think he's american too now , I stay in the car w a pair of glasses on lolforget it , they think I am some rich chick , which I am not heehe !

mailed out aos and ead 7/13/2007

aol and ead packet received per usps 7/16/2007

checks cashed 07/26/07

noa 1 FOR EAD RECEIVED 07/27/07

noa 1 for aos received 07/28/07

biometrics 08/15/07

ead card ordered 09/20/07!!!!

ead card received 10/01/07! finally!

aos case transferred to California Service Center 10/03/07!

received "Welcome to the United States of America I-797 11/05/07!(dated 10/30/07)!

Permanent Resident card received 11/05/07 (dated 10/31/07)! THank u LorD!

Will file for 10 year GC End of July/Early August 2009!

Removal of Conditions:

Mailed I-751 overnight mail to Vermont Service Center 09/10/09

VSC received the I-751 Packet 09/11/09 About 12 pm Local time

Check was cashed as of Sept 16th 2009

NOA Received 09/19/09 dated 09/14/09

I-797 Appointment Notice received 10/01/09 dated 09/25/09 (Biometrics)

Got they 10 year GC approval letter in the mail dated 01/08/10! yehey!

10 GREENCARD RECEIVED 01/20/10

Citizenship.......maybe............or maybe stay a permanent resident .......................

6771903_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

well that is about common practice in all markets, here comes the foreigner. I paid one dollar for 4 eggs in korea what a dummy

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Here is a shocker people of non-South Asian heritage. When I am in India, somehow, they have a way of knowing without me even opening my mouth that I am a 'foreigner.' My wife says it's the way I dress and walk, but having grown up in my early years in India, I purposely dress very much like a local resident when traveling locally. It cannot be the way I look, because India has too many 'fair' skinned folks.

In the most recent trip to India, I was traveling to Bombay from my hometown in India via the local train in a regular 'second' class car. The food vendor boy comes along with that delicious tea and I asked 'Kitnaa hua?' (How much? - in a slang version of Hindi), he goes (actually jokes), 'Doosro ke liya paanch rupaiya, lekin aap liye paach daallar.' (For others, it's five rupees, but for you it is five dollars). Of course, he smiled after saying that letting me know that he was only kidding around. I gave him ten rupees, but was left bewildered as to how he figured out that I was from the 'United States.' Many similar incidents (mostly humorous) have occured to me every time visiting India and I have yet to find out how to blend-in so that I don't get ripped off...Imagine the irony. I am Indian by heritage, raised in India, speak and write two Indian languages fluently (including slang), look very much Indian and YET, they figure out that I am from the US. I guess this in a weird sort of way of finding out that parts of me have become so American that they are picked immediately by non-Americans. I had similar incident in Switzerland as well. I look Indian, but before I even spoke the restaurant manager knew I was American...

Any explanations? :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

The last time we visited Swoyambhu (we've gone every visit at least once), my husband told them I was his wife and they did not charge me. Same with the soldiers on the road to Kakani, who originally did not want to let me pass. :blink:

But my husband says that, if/when we go to buy property in Kathmandu or near my husband's village, I can't show my face or they will really up the price. :angry: I will most certainly have to pre-approve it though!

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Is it fair I have to pay 30-40% extra for the same domestic airfare, book at the same time, siting right next to each other

There actually is a subtle difference. With $$-paid (or £-paid) airfare, the baggage allowance for that domestic portion is 2 pieces of up to 23 kg each--while the TOTAL for the Rs-paid fare is 20 kg (if you habitually travel with more than that, the airlines will clobber you royally for the excess-baggage--if you're travelling with 46 kg, that charge will exceed the airfare difference)

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

am not sure if its really being practice everywhere.....but here in uae (dxb) if you go to ph disco pubs,locals (and i mean ph) are free whereas foreigners (all other nationalities-arabs, indians, brits, etc) are charged with entrance fee. Pub to pub case thou'.

:blink:

K1 Visa

01-31-2009 I-129F to USCIS-CSC

02-19-2009 NOA1

03-24-2009 NOA2

06-21-2009 Medical(The Polyclinic, Dubai UAE)

06-28-2009 Interview @ USE AD (approved)

07-01-2009 Visa ready for pick up @ USE AD

07-07-2009 went to pick up my visa (ready 2 fly)

=

09-11-2009 POE-SFO(no questions asked,just a reminder 2 get marry within 90 days)

=

09-28-2009 applied for SSN at Sac., Ca(no hassle)

10-05-2009 received SSN card on mail

11-04-2009 applied for marriage license @ Sacramento County, Ca

11-18-2009 married (marriage certificate on hand-same day)

11-25-2009 I-693 signed by CS(MMR-$70, Vericella-$70, I-693 Form- $15)

=

12-23-2009 mailed AOS to USCIS, Chicago Lockbox (FedEx)

12-28-2009 recvd by USCIS

01-04-2010 check cashed by USCIS

01-08-2010 received NOA1 (I-797C) for I-485, I-765 and I-131

01-11-2010 recvd ASC Appointment Notice for Biometrics

01-25-2010 Biometrics Appointment- West Sac, CA

**alls well @ Biometrics-less than 20 mins.

03-04-2010 recvd notice for AOS interview date

03-04-2010 EAD card production ordered (online notice)

03-08-2010 AP (I-512L) approved-recvd in mail (dated 3/2/10)

03-11-2010 EAD recvd on mail

04-06-2010 AOS interview, APPROVED! Bye USCIS til 2012- Sac, CA

04-15-2010 GC Welcome letter received fr mail

04-16-2010 GC recvd on the mail (Yiihaa!!!)

=

03-08-2012 ROC I-751 mailed to CSC via USPS Priority Mail

03-12-2012 ROC recvd by CSC

03-12-2012 NOA1 (revd on mail 03/19/12)

03-15-2012 ROC check cashed

"Thank you to God and to VJ"

When ever my husb and I are in Philippines and we go to a resort I let him go and get the room , when we are at the market its hard for him to make a deal when I am standing next to him , cuz they think he's american too now , I stay in the car w a pair of glasses on lolforget it , they think I am some rich chick , which I am not heehe !

Same trip with me in RP. I have to hide if we want to keep from being ripped off. My wife does all the haggling and shopping. They see a puti [white boy] and the prices double.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Other Timeline
The last time we visited Swoyambhu (we've gone every visit at least once), my husband told them I was his wife and they did not charge me. Same with the soldiers on the road to Kakani, who originally did not want to let me pass. :blink:

But my husband says that, if/when we go to buy property in Kathmandu or near my husband's village, I can't show my face or they will really up the price. :angry: I will most certainly have to pre-approve it though!

Whaaaat, alchhi, you mean you don't climb up to the top of the hill? ;) We have gone at least once every time too (usually at Saka Dawa) and if you climb up they don't charge anything. Swayambhu is my favorite place, our first meeting was at Buddha Park so it's very special to us.

Same trip with me in RP. I have to hide if we want to keep from being ripped off. My wife does all the haggling and shopping. They see a puti [white boy] and the prices double.

You do NOT want to know what that means in Nepali......

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Let me put it this way: I have one but you don't.

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

you know body language is 95% of what people notice. You can't keep from showing that..........

Here is a shocker people of non-South Asian heritage. When I am in India, somehow, they have a way of knowing without me even opening my mouth that I am a 'foreigner.' My wife says it's the way I dress and walk, but having grown up in my early years in India, I purposely dress very much like a local resident when traveling locally. It cannot be the way I look, because India has too many 'fair' skinned folks.

In the most recent trip to India, I was traveling to Bombay from my hometown in India via the local train in a regular 'second' class car. The food vendor boy comes along with that delicious tea and I asked 'Kitnaa hua?' (How much? - in a slang version of Hindi), he goes (actually jokes), 'Doosro ke liya paanch rupaiya, lekin aap liye paach daallar.' (For others, it's five rupees, but for you it is five dollars). Of course, he smiled after saying that letting me know that he was only kidding around. I gave him ten rupees, but was left bewildered as to how he figured out that I was from the 'United States.' Many similar incidents (mostly humorous) have occured to me every time visiting India and I have yet to find out how to blend-in so that I don't get ripped off...Imagine the irony. I am Indian by heritage, raised in India, speak and write two Indian languages fluently (including slang), look very much Indian and YET, they figure out that I am from the US. I guess this in a weird sort of way of finding out that parts of me have become so American that they are picked immediately by non-Americans. I had similar incident in Switzerland as well. I look Indian, but before I even spoke the restaurant manager knew I was American...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

At one museum in Pakistan they were trying to charge me 20X what they charged locals. My fiance negotiated the price down some. We found that it worked better for him to work out the price of most things without me present. There is deffinitely the idea that all Americans are rich. I deffinitely like to go in stores and have the prices marked on items-I missed that alot!

I never complained much due to the currency advantage when I am in India, but for the sake of fairness,

Is it fair I have to pay 30-40% extra for the same domestic airfare, book at the same time, siting right next to each other.

PAY 10X more than the local to go to a Museum, Went to visit this Palace, my wife got to experience it 1st hand, been to several parts of india so it's kinda normal since I got used to it, but charging 20 Rupees for local and a WHOPPING 200 Rs. for the same ticket doesn't seem reasonable, maybe a small percentage difference but 10 times more is crazy.

Just don't feel it's too tourist friendly to keep overcharging foreigners.

What if we would start charging extra for everybody that's here on H1, B1/B2 to visit our museums, for their airfare ticket?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

CJ,

I have the same experience when I go to India, people tend to know I'm a foreigner though I do my best to blend in, where similar clothing.

I would agree that it's body language, and the way we carry ourselves. We can dress like Indians, talk like Indians and even be born as Indians but foreign lands do change us, the way we react to things, the way we walk, the way we look at things. It's hard for us to notice these things because in the US or in the Western world we're used to seeing a vast variety of people in one day. It's not like that in India, they see the same kind of people every day, so when a person like us comes in their eyes, they instantly see the minute differences and know we're foreigners.

As far as being overcharged, it's hard to fight this, you may just have to play the system. I remember \at the Taj Mahal, foreigners areovercharged in this same way. My father and I are both US citizens. At that time he had his old Indian passport so he posed as an Indian and explained that I was his son who was studying abroad. The plan worked. I had a similar situation on our honeymoon so I just let my wife do most of the talking and it all worked out. Lucky for us we have an easier time blending in as we are of Indian descent.

CR-1

I-130 NOA 1- 3/20/08

I-I30 touched- 3/26/08

I-130 APPROVED NOA2- 12/11/08

Assigned NVC Case Number- 12/15/08

Generate DS-3032- NA

Generate AOS Bill- 12/18/08

E-mail DS-3032- NA

Mail Hard Copy DS-3032- NA

NVC Accept DS-3032- NA

AOS Bill Marked 'Paid'- 12/31/08

Generate IV Bill- 12/18/08

IV Bill Marked "Paid"- 12/31/08

Send AOS Package- 12/31/08

Send IV Pacakge- 12/31/08

NVC Receive AOS Package- 1/2/09

NVC Receive IV Package- 1/2/09

NVC Case Complete- 1/22/09

Wife Completes Medical- 2/7/09

NVC Schedules CR-1 Case- 2/10/09

Wife Submits documents for K-3 Interview- 2/12/09

NVC Sends Case to Mumbai Consulate- 2/18/09

Case arrives in Mumbai- 2/23/09

Consulate confirms willingness to issue CR-1 on K-3 interview date- 2/23/09

Original K-3 interview, but APPROVED for CR-1 as file arrived in time!!- 2/26/09

Original CR-1 Interview, assumed to be cancelled as not necessary- 3/5/09

POE- New York- 3/7/09

K-3

I-129F NOA 1- 4/11/08

I-129F touched- 5/14/08

I-129F APPROVED NOA2- 12/11/08

I-129F Assigned NVC Case Number- 12/15/08

NVC Send Case to Mumbai Consulate- 12/17/08

Consulate Receives Case- 12/20/08

Consulate Send Packet 3- 12/22/08

Wife Send Packet 3 to Consulate- 12/25/08

Consulate Receive Packet 3- 1/2/09

Consulate Schedules Interview, sends Packet 4- 1/2/09

Wife Receives Packet 4, K-3 Leg Complete- 1/13/09

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
CJ,

I have the same experience when I go to India, people tend to know I'm a foreigner though I do my best to blend in, where similar clothing.

I would agree that it's body language, and the way we carry ourselves. We can dress like Indians, talk like Indians and even be born as Indians but foreign lands do change us, the way we react to things, the way we walk, the way we look at things. It's hard for us to notice these things because in the US or in the Western world we're used to seeing a vast variety of people in one day. It's not like that in India, they see the same kind of people every day, so when a person like us comes in their eyes, they instantly see the minute differences and know we're foreigners.

As far as being overcharged, it's hard to fight this, you may just have to play the system. I remember \at the Taj Mahal, foreigners areovercharged in this same way. My father and I are both US citizens. At that time he had his old Indian passport so he posed as an Indian and explained that I was his son who was studying abroad. The plan worked. I had a similar situation on our honeymoon so I just let my wife do most of the talking and it all worked out. Lucky for us we have an easier time blending in as we are of Indian descent.

Well, I am visiting India for two weeks shortly. I'll let you know if I can manipulate my body language to blend in.

On a separate note, as I said earlier it's pretty much how people of different regions of the world where I have travelled pick up the fact that I am an American, but it's sad when fellow Americans fail to notice this, especially when living in metro areas of the US.

I know in the Philippines there si the Filipino price and then the kano price. I saw pricing differences in Mexico also. Geeze, why is that :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.