adambp

Entered on visa waiver- married long term girlfriend and want to stay! Advice?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all, would really appreciate some advice on my position:

I fell in love with an American girl while overseas studying. That was 2 year ago and we have been in a long-distance relationship since: seeing each other when possible.

I am currently in the US on a visa waiver- being as I am a British national. We have married in the state of New York and I wish to remain here permanently.

As I did not enter on the on a K-1 or K-3 visa I am unsure of the method of applying for both adjustment of status and a green-card? I have looked over a lot of information but would appreciate someone making it plainer to me.

My concern is overstaying my visa waiver (a maximum of 90 days of which I have already spent 30): what is the best way to stay with my wife and not commit any damaging illegalities? Is it worth hiring an atorney to help speed the process?

Please advise!

Thanks.

I fell in love with an American girl while overseas studying. That was 2 year ago and we have been in a long-distance relationship since: seeing each other when possible.

I am currently in the US on a visa waiver- being as I am a British national. We have married in the state of New York and I wish to remain here permanently.

As I did not enter on the on a K-1 or K-3 visa I am unsure of the method of applying for both adjustment of status and a green-card? I have looked over a lot of information but would appreciate someone making it plainer to me.

My concern is overstaying my visa waiver (a maximum of 90 days of which I have already spent 30): what is the best way to stay with my wife and not commit any damaging illegalities? Is it worth hiring an atorney to help speed the process?

Please advise!

Thanks.

If you entered the US with intentions of marrying your wife and did so and try to adjust status that is considered fraud by USCIS.

Get an attorney! Looks like you married in less than 30 days of arrival which doesn't help either.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Please advise!

Thanks.

If you entered the US with intentions of marrying your wife and did so and try to adjust status that is considered fraud by USCIS.

Get an attorney!

If at the time of your last entry, the marriage was already intended to occur during the "visit", you are not allowed to simply disregard immigration laws and adjust status. You may "visit" as long as your granted stay but must not overstay. Use the Guides here to learn and decide on the appropriate visa process to begin. If you working soon after permanent arrival is important, your choice will be the CR1 path.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
I should've added that I had no intention of marrying when I was here: does that make any difference at all?

Like the difference between night and day. To adjust status though, you'll need to arrange to remain in the USA until that's complete. If you leave, you'll need a spouse visa to immigrate.

Intention to "marry" isn't a problem regardless. It's the combination of intending to marry AND stay to adjust status that is fraud. If your decision to marry and stay occured after entry. You can STAY (not come and go) and adjust status.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Timeline

See the GUIDES and the forum for Adjustment of Status process. If you can prove at an interview that you had no intent to get married and stay during this trip, AOS is an option. ie: if you did Not quit your job, didn't sell all your stuff and didn't sublet your flat before you left the UK, you should be ok. If however you DID quit your job, sold all your stuff and sublet your flat, then proving non-intent will be rather more difficult, and if your AOS is denied, you'll be deported and likely banned from re-entry.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

If you have a life in the UK that you could return to (home, work, etc.) but were planning on staying up to the full 3 months permitted, why not file now for a CR1 (your USC spouse needs to petition for you anyway) and then return at 89 days, sort out your affairs back home and you'll have killed 1/2 to a 1/3 on the average wait time for NOA2. Once that comes through, you'll need to be in the UK anyway for medical, interview, etc.

I guess only you can know depending on your circumstances in the UK how easy is it going to be to prove that you didn't plan on staying. It's a risk and definately more of a headache trying to prove a negative (absence of intent) than it is to cope with the separation but be more assured that you can show you went about matters by the book.

The CR1 route takes a fraction longer but means that you'll be immediately entitled to work etc, and not have to deal with the AOS process/ cost.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: Timeline

SunDrop,

All tourists entering the USA are presumed to have immigrant intent. And, yes, the onus rests upon the alien to demonstrate to the contrary, but this situation doesn't differ from any other situation in that regard.

It's a risk and definately more of a headache trying to prove a negative (absence of intent) ....

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline
SunDrop,

All tourists entering the USA are presumed to have immigrant intent. And, yes, the onus rests upon the alien to demonstrate to the contrary, but this situation doesn't differ from any other situation in that regard.

It's a risk and definately more of a headache trying to prove a negative (absence of intent) ....

The difficulty in proving a negative is mostly a myth. You prove the negative intent to stay by providing convincing evidence you intended to return, like a job, your belongings and dwelling all waiting for you back home. Unfortunately many who had not intent can't adjust status either because the very evidence that proves their proper intent, compels them to go back home anyway.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

If you are in a position to suspend your personal ties with the UK for up to nine months, you can apply as soon as possible for the work permit, green card, and if it's necessary to make a brief visit back to the UK, advance parole. In the interview about eight months from the time you apply, you need to show real evidence that it really was a hardship for you to decide to marry here -- loss of job, unable to terminate a rental lease agreement, whatever can be proven. Who will sponsor you for the green card, i.e., promise to the U.S. that someone else will be sure you don't end up on the welfare rolls?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

getting married under 60 days of arriving as a visitor can haunt you too at the interview. Good luck trying to convince the interviewing officer that you had no intent to immigrate :thumbs:

From what Ive heard , getting married under 30 days of visiting - good luck trying to prove that for AOS from a B1/B2/VWP

Marriage under 60 days is still hard for most people to prove their non-intent

And from over 90 days, its usually the IO who has to prove your intent from what Ive read.

Since you got married so quickly with your visitor status, your best bet is to apply for a K3/CR1 and go home when your visitor status expires and come back with your visa in hand.

With you marrying under 30 days, you best get legal advice if you wish to stay in the U.S and not return to the UK

Edited by stiggy

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We were in the same exact position My now husband came here for a visit January 11 2007 and then married March 30. We had some extenuating circumstances though and even though my husband did not really have much to come back to the UK only a job offer and he lived with his parents. But we filed all the paperwork right after his VWP stay was up. We had to wait for the medical ( which he had here locally) then sent it all in. our interview which was in Buffalo took about 3 minutes and no questions were asked about intent... so do not leave and just file the paperwork as soon as possible

good luck!

David and I met online December of 2006 and spent a year getting to know each other online and with visits! He proposed to me July 2007 onstage at my Favorite bands (candlebox) concert in Florida .We found out we were expecting a child January 31st sadly due to an ectopic pregnancy we lost the baby and almost lost me as well on February 8th. We then decided to get married if my long and drawn out divorce finalized before David was due to go back on April 13th

Divorced finalized March 20th

3/30/2008 MARRIED !!!!

4/11/2008 I 130 , I 485, 1765 and I131 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

4/21/2008 first NOA for everything

5/17/2008 RFE for Affidavit of support

5/20/2008 mailed in response to RFE

5/22/2008 Biometrics

6/10/2008 EAD Card production ordered!!!!

6/10/2008 I131 Approved YAY we can visit England again!! (nobody from there could make our short notice wedding)

10/28 Interview date

Please advise!

Thanks.

I came here from England as well. I entered on the VWP and decided to stay after my then boyfriend asked me to marry him.

I had a job back in England as well as a flat, bank accounts, etc.

We adjusted status successfully and no questions of intent were asked at the interview.

Just make sure to file asap and to enclose all the documents they are asking for, be organized. There is no need to use an attorney if things are pretty straight forward, I did all the paperwork myself and I got my green card in 7 months after I filed.

Good luck with your journey!!!

Edited by unforgettable fire

Timeline:

12-16-07 Arrival in the US from Good Ol' Blighty

02-13-08 Got married in Los Angeles

02-22-08 Civil Surgeon Appointment

Adjustment of Status

02-29-08 Sent I-130, AOS, EAD, AP (Via FedEx) to Chicago

03-03-08 Package arrived in Chicago

03-07-08 All Cheques cashed!!

03-10-08 NOAs for I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 received

03-16-08 NOAs for I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 touched

03-27-08 Biometrics Appointment at 2pm (Notice date: 03.11.08)

04-30-08 Received EAD "card production ordered" & AP Approval notices from CRIS (YESSSS!!!!!)

05-06-08 I-765 touched and AP received in the mail!

05-08-08 Received I-765 "approval notice sent" e-mail from CRIS

05-09-08 EAD received in the mail (YIIPPEEYY!!!)

08-22-08 Notice of Action for initial interview received (10-08-08)

10-08-08 AOS Interview in Los Angeles: APPROVED!!!!

10-09-08 I-485 touched! (Card Production Ordered)

10-15-08 NOAs for I-130 (approval notice) and I-485 (welcome letter) received

10-22-08 Green Card finally arrived!!!

Removing of Conditions

07-14-10 Sent I-751 (Via USPS next day delivery) to California Service Center

07-22-10 Received NOA 1

07-30-10 Received NOA 2 (Biometrics appointment on 08-11-10)

08-31-10 NOA for Removal of Conditions approved

09-02-10 Approval letter received

09-03-10 Green Card arrived!!!

ePcwm7.png

.png

• 1 year later...
Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you have a life in the UK that you could return to (home, work, etc.) but were planning on staying up to the full 3 months permitted, why not file now for a CR1 (your USC spouse needs to petition for you anyway) and then return at 89 days, sort out your affairs back home and you'll have killed 1/2 to a 1/3 on the average wait time for NOA2. Once that comes through, you'll need to be in the UK anyway for medical, interview, etc.

I guess only you can know depending on your circumstances in the UK how easy is it going to be to prove that you didn't plan on staying. It's a risk and definately more of a headache trying to prove a negative (absence of intent) than it is to cope with the separation but be more assured that you can show you went about matters by the book.

The CR1 route takes a fraction longer but means that you'll be immediately entitled to work etc, and not have to deal with the AOS process/ cost.

Good advice, if your reason for entry is slightly suspect by USCIS then you could be denied and not able to get residence, not a good gamble.

Check with a lawyer, but if there is the option to return home and apply the officially correct way-DO IT!!! (the separation will be tough but better than possible being barred).....I wish a had of.......=(

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Good advice, if your reason for entry is slightly suspect by USCIS then you could be denied and not able to get residence, not a good gamble.

Check with a lawyer, but if there is the option to return home and apply the officially correct way-DO IT!!! (the separation will be tough but better than possible being barred).....I wish a had of.......=(

You realize this was posted in 2008 dont you??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.