EWRI6884

SHIPPING A GUITAR?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello... Has anyone had to ship a guitar to the states from PI? As most of you know, you dont get a lot of luggage that you can pack for your trip or would want to haul around. My Fiancee has an acoustic guitar that has sentimental value to it and wants to bring it with her, but she doesnt want to add it to the already abundant amount of luggage she already has.

Has anyone shipped one and how expensive was it? Any recommendations?

Thank You!

7522.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
Hello... Has anyone had to ship a guitar to the states from PI? As most of you know, you dont get a lot of luggage that you can pack for your trip or would want to haul around. My Fiancee has an acoustic guitar that has sentimental value to it and wants to bring it with her, but she doesnt want to add it to the already abundant amount of luggage she already has.

Thank You!

It won't be cheap, but UPS can handle it. Think $200 or more.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

And don't forget to loosen the strings WAY WAY up first. If you don't there is a good change that the neck will be damaged or break if it is flown here

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I've shipped many instruments for sale. De-tune the strings a GREAT DEAL, but not so loose that they'll fall off, or scratch the finish of the instrument. The bigger concern is the humidity, and WHERE this guitar will end up. WHERE is your home-town, and what sort of weather does it have? You're taking it from a moist tropical environ. Is it going TO a freezing, dry winter area? :unsure: Be careful.

Upon pick-up, or drop-off at your door, check the exterior for any signs of impact or puncture that could mean shipping damage. Note that with the delivery service, and a couple of digital photos would not be a bad idea.

You'll want to bring the box inside your home, and just let it sit there a day just to acclimate to your indoor temperature. Then, open it the next day, and once again, let the instrument rest. But, do check for any shipment damgage immediately which would concur with what you saw on the box. If all's well, tune it up on day-3 and see how

it sings.

Edited by 4MYMEVE

Moving on w/life

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Couldn't re-edit this part. SOrry.

Obviously, too much packing foam is better than too little. Brace some foam under the neck, and around the head. Pour some foam peanuts down into the soundhole, once you've loosened the strings to do so. Double boxing for the overseas trip is highly encouraged. In fact, I'd wrap the case itself in plastic food wrap, just in case there's some contact with water on the box. Do put your receiving address on another label inside the box, in case the outer labeling is damaged, or torn-off. IF they remove it from the box to check, at least they can discover the recipient inside.

Moving on w/life

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank You!

$200- $250 sounds about right for air freight for one guitar only. You'd have to pack it in guitar shipping box. DHL is another company that can ship it. We had some insturments and amps shipped back once from Cebu and they came to the hotel to pick it up. We split the $500 shipping charge.

For that price though, you might as well pay the extra baggage charge and bring it back with you on the flight. I paid $150 one time from PAL.

My recommendation would be to get a 'gig' bag with a shoulder strap and just sling it over your shoulder as a carry on - no charge.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank You!

$200- $250 sounds about right for air freight for one guitar only. You'd have to pack it in guitar shipping box. DHL is another company that can ship it. We had some insturments and amps shipped back once from Cebu and they came to the hotel to pick it up. We split the $500 shipping charge.

For that price though, you might as well pay the extra baggage charge and bring it back with you on the flight. I paid $150 one time from PAL.

My recommendation would be to get a 'gig' bag with a shoulder strap and just sling it over your shoulder as a carry on - no charge.

Yeah thats what I am trying to get her to do, bring it ONBOARD but... she is afraid PAL wont allow her to bring it onboard.

Thanks EVERYONE for your input!!!

7522.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.