conny

Entering USA with Cettificate of Naturalization?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

If I don't have actual passport (didn't have time to apply and receive) can I take my Cettificate of Naturalization as a proof of citizenship and present upon check-in abroad and at the point of entry in US? If not, what other options do I have while entering US without actual paper passport but being a citizen?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

You will need a passport so it can be properly scanned, checked for photo id, and stamped overseas and on return to the U.S. You can apply for it for a quick delivery by paying a little more money. My new one took ten days. Without one, you won't be able get through security to board the plane anyway.

If I don't have actual passport (didn't have time to apply and receive) can I take my Cettificate of Naturalization as a proof of citizenship and present upon check-in abroad and at the point of entry in US? If not, what other options do I have while entering US without actual paper passport but being a citizen?

I applied US passport a month ago, and it only took 5~6 days with regular service.

If you need it quickly, you can ask for rush service, or you can stop by one of Passport Application Center.

Without US Passport, you will be in trouble.

Eventually they wlll let you in, but you will be educated, and/or got penalty with fine.

Don't make the trouble if you already know it.

Worst thing is...

Depending on Airline employee, they may not let you get on board without US Passport or US VISA.

They don't know nothing about the certificate of naturalization, and they can not identify whether it is real one or fake one.

Edited by moonhunt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Not sure if my wife could have come back in with her Venezuelan passport with a current US Visa, but certainly could have if they didn't take her green card away. There you have to have a foreign passport, can't even get a US passport with a green card. And keeping a foreign passport valid here is not easy when you only have two or three consulates spread all over the USA and they want to see you in person. And ask why you are applying for a passport from your former country when you are living in the USA.

That kind of puts you between a rock and a hard place.

Loosely recall that the DOS does have 14 field offices for so called instant service. Doesn't take much of a brain to figure out this country has 50 states, so 14 isn't enough to have at least one in each state. We don't have one in our state, that means a long trip to the nearest field office. Then they want proof you have airlines tickets and not applying within two weeks of your trip. You don't get airline tickets anymore, just a piece of paper you print off the web, certainly could duplicate that yourself, so can be questionable if you really do have valid airline tickets, would hate to drive 700 miles and be rejected for that reason, is very possible.

Sure, lots of excitement getting your certificate for USC, but then you quickly learn you are again in a state of limbo, until you get your US passport and hope they don't lose your certificate in the process.

Wonder if any brain that makes these rules, really thought it out? Have to give it time.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Simple Answer is NO!! I just had my oath ceremony lat Monday, and during the ceremony the lady went through a few things and she stated MANY< MANY times, that you can NOT enter the USA with the Naturalization Certificate. She said you can leave, but you ain't getting back in!! She stressed that like 5 times.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Simple Answer is NO!! I just had my oath ceremony lat Monday, and during the ceremony the lady went through a few things and she stated MANY< MANY times, that you can NOT enter the USA with the Naturalization Certificate. She said you can leave, but you ain't getting back in!! She stressed that like 5 times.

Ha, and a big ha at that. Depends upon how you want to reenter, Our brilliant leaders only seem to think it's at legal border crossings, ports of entry, or airports. But some odd eleven million others seem to have found a different way.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Ha, and a big ha at that. Depends upon how you want to reenter, Our brilliant leaders only seem to think it's at legal border crossings, ports of entry, or airports. But some odd eleven million others seem to have found a different way.

Yeah... but isn't it much easier to just apply for a passport so you can easily and legally cross the border? :blink:

Fact is that as a US citizen you must enter the country with a valid US travel document. Not a visa in a passport issued from your home country and not a naturalization certificate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.