guitarboy53

To sponsor or not to sponsor

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello All,

An American friend of mine married a Turk a little over a year ago. Everything has gone pretty smoothly, and they just had their interview for their Green Card in Turkey. Unfortunately, the officer is requiring a sponsor as my friend didn't have any stated income in 2007. He has asked me to step in and sponsor his wife as I have sufficient income for the last few years. Also, I married a Turk that has been living in the US for 2 years now, and we will apply to remove her conditions in mid 2009. My question is: If I agree to sponsor a my friend and his wife, can it mess up the stuff I have going on with my wife? Also, what are the possible repercussions if something were to go wrong? I really want to help out my buddy, I just do not want to jeopardize anything I have going on with USCIS.

I appreciate your replies in advance.

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

only you can make that decision.

Only you know how trustworthy your friend is

if he defaults, can you live with the consequences?

you will be on the hook if they need monetary help. if they receive government assistance, you will have to pay back the government with interest.

be aware, a lot of friendship, included with wives/husband, break up because of money.

Good luck

if it was me, unless I had an extra $100,000 or more to blow, it would not do it

comicirsaudit.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello All,

An American friend of mine married a Turk a little over a year ago. Everything has gone pretty smoothly, and they just had their interview for their Green Card in Turkey. Unfortunately, the officer is requiring a sponsor as my friend didn't have any stated income in 2007. He has asked me to step in and sponsor his wife as I have sufficient income for the last few years. Also, I married a Turk that has been living in the US for 2 years now, and we will apply to remove her conditions in mid 2009. My question is: If I agree to sponsor a my friend and his wife, can it mess up the stuff I have going on with my wife? Also, what are the possible repercussions if something were to go wrong? I really want to help out my buddy, I just do not want to jeopardize anything I have going on with USCIS.

I appreciate your replies in advance.

Thank you!

As long as your income is sufficient to sponsor an additional intending immigrant, there would be no impact on pending applications you've already sponsored. Should this new intending immigrant become a public charge, the government could bill first the primary sponsor and then you, the joint sponsor for reimbursement for those benefits. Unless you're concerned your buddy's wife will become a public charge, I don't see any negative impact on you at all.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Thank you all for your replies!

By the way, does anyone know how long I would be responsible if I sponsored this person? Is it only during the first two years of a conditional Green Card? Longer?

Thanks again!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thank you all for your replies!

By the way, does anyone know how long I would be responsible if I sponsored this person? Is it only during the first two years of a conditional Green Card? Longer?

Thanks again!!!

10 years or until he/she becomes citizen... a long haul in my books!!! Personally i would think about it twice, what if they become sick and carried no insurance???

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.