w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Chrysler temporarily shutting down all North American facilities, will impact 46000 employees

116 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Chrysler has announced that at the end of this Friday's shift, all manufacturing facilities will be closed until January 19, 2009.

Chrysler has 30 facilities in North America. All will close temporarily.

The plant in Windsor, Ontario -- which makes minivans -- and the Detroit/Connor Assembly -- which builds engines and Vipers -- will close through the month of January. The two plants in Toledo will be shut down until January 26.

This will impact 46,000 UAW workers, according to Chrysler. Chrysler says these employees will receive state unemployment benefits as well as supplemental payments from Chrysler during the layoff according to a union negotiated formula.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/moneybeat/2008/12...ler-to-tem.html

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a card-carrying librul and someone who has only ever bought American cars while living in the US, even I know that the auto companies need to fail before they can get better. Bailouts are just bad money after good. Chapter 11 will give them the breathing room they need to re-negotiate contracts and to start being profitable again. Yes, people will lose their jobs. But not near as many as will lose their jobs if we continue to prop up companies that do not have the capability to be successful. The best thing that could happen is if they started a "controlled" Chapter 11 process.

:( My God.

No worries, we will put them to work putting up windmills all over the Canadian arctic.

As a card-carrying librul and someone who has only ever bought American cars while living in the US, even I know that the auto companies need to fail before they can get better. Bailouts are just bad money after good. Chapter 11 will give them the breathing room they need to re-negotiate contracts and to start being profitable again. Yes, people will lose their jobs. But not near as many as will lose their jobs if we continue to prop up companies that do not have the capability to be successful. The best thing that could happen is if they started a "controlled" Chapter 11 process.

:thumbs:

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

No worries, we will put them to work putting up windmills all over the Canadian arctic.

There's no quick fix. :( I can't imagine how many family's are going to have unemployed Christmas this year.

There's no quick fix. :( I can't imagine how many family's are going to have unemployed Christmas this year.

It's only temporary. They'll be back to work soon enough and if they're smart they've got enough saved up to make it through the next few weeks (not to mention UI payments).

I'm sorry to say that I prefer reliable cars.

If everyone was rational like you, Detroit would have gone out of business ages ago.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Detroit does make some reliable cars. I have owned several.

...heard you won a lot of races back in the day.

the%20tortoise%20and%20the%20hare.JPG

I beat every VW Rabbit I ever raced.

Good for you, Spooks. I'm sure a little Turtle Wax will shine up just as good as new too. :jest: