w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Chrysler temporarily shutting down all North American facilities, will impact 46000 employees

116 posts in this topic

I get what you're saying here, but why complain about the UAW when the bank bailout (which I believe you supported) came with little to no conditions on pay for bonuses, golden parachutes, etc.

Why is what is good is this sort of thing counterproductive for the UAW but not for the banks?

90day.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
:ot2: Ok, so I really don't feel so bad for those belonging to the UAW. Did you know that even if they are laid off, they still receive 95% of their salary for TWO YEARS...benefits included? There are many people that are and will truly suffer through these economic problems...for them I feel sorry. The UAW will be just fine!

This is absolutely not true. UAW workers who are laid off must first use up all of their State unemployment benefits, which typically means they are making well under the poverty level, and this can last for many, many months, depending on the State. Only after their benefits run out do they qualify for the "jobs bank," which is almost certainly where you're getting the 95% number. But the jobs bank fund doesn't come close to covering the large number of auto workers that are sure to be laid off if the Big 3 go under. And if there is a bailout, one of the conditions that has been non-negotiable is that the Jobs Bank go away. Either way you look at it, UAW workers will not see this 95%.

No matter how you look at it, UAW workers and their families will suffer too. Nobody's getting a free ride in this economy except perhaps the CEO's and politicians who let it happen.

This reduction in manufactured vehicles will help stabilize the bloated Chrysler inventory. Although the workers will be paid, it will not add up to their "working" salary. This arrangement is better than being laid off and they get a month of vacation. Not sure what the pay equals in terms of percentage, but the reduction in commuting costs, laundry and so forth will help.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/17/autos/chry...sion=2008121717

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Let me hook your puny little toy o ta to the back of my Ford and drag you all over the place. American made autos are the best, hands down. And they pay taxes and provide jobs for many many many a community in the USA not in some far away foreign place that could care less about American citizens financial plight!

toyota.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
And they pay taxes and provide jobs for many many many a community in the USA not in some far away foreign place that could care less about American citizens financial plight!

other countries don't care about the american economy? since when? :unsure:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Since the Messiah came Nov 4, 2008! And according to these liberal bashers of America on this website!

And they pay taxes and provide jobs for many many many a community in the USA not in some far away foreign place that could care less about American citizens financial plight!

other countries don't care about the american economy? since when? :unsure:

Since the Messiah came Nov 4, 2008! And according to these liberal bashers of America on this website!

There a few here who like to bash the American auto indusrty. I'm sure they would feel the same way if it was their idustry that was being affected. Or if the Japanese were better at the job than they were. I know for sure that there are no hypocrytes here.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
This reduction in manufactured vehicles will help stabilize the bloated Chrysler inventory. Although the workers will be paid, it will not add up to their "working" salary. This arrangement is better than being laid off and they get a month of vacation. Not sure what the pay equals in terms of percentage, but the reduction in commuting costs, laundry and so forth will help.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/17/autos/chry...sion=2008121717

The same thing just happened with Carlson Leisure and Travel in October and November though they didn't temporarily close all locations they did offer people to take a volunteer month off. My Mom is a Travel Agent there and took the volunteer month off and she doesn't get paid as much either but she says it's better then being laid off. She goes back to work on the 26th.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Oh I also forgot to mention the CEO that owns her company owns MBNA and several other credit companies and he had the highest take home gross last year of all CEO's. It was by a wide margin too.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

There a few here who like to bash the American auto indusrty. I'm sure they would feel the same way if it was their idustry that was being affected. Or if the Japanese were better at the job than they were. I know for sure that there are no hypocrytes here.

Only if the US stop making cheap cars. I've read in the Consumer Reports that Honda has the highest safety, lowest maintenance of all the car manufacturers. Actually, they're a whole league of their own because the graph showed they were miles apart from the American counterparts. It's the truth.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Chrysler has announced that at the end of this Friday's shift, all manufacturing facilities will be closed until January 19, 2009.

Chrysler has 30 facilities in North America. All will close temporarily.

The plant in Windsor, Ontario -- which makes minivans -- and the Detroit/Connor Assembly -- which builds engines and Vipers -- will close through the month of January. The two plants in Toledo will be shut down until January 26.

This will impact 46,000 UAW workers, according to Chrysler. Chrysler says these employees will receive state unemployment benefits as well as supplemental payments from Chrysler during the layoff according to a union negotiated formula.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/moneybeat/2008/12...ler-to-tem.html

Chrysler never has been much a part of my life, use to be Chrysler engineer, but Chrysler electronics was a very bad joke. Walter was more interested in building a skyscraper then good cars. Putting that I.C. guy with fame for putting a large V-8 in a Falcon called the Mustang in charge helped a little, but this time he put a large box on a compact car chassis taking advantage of less safety requirements by the DOT, and less emission requirements of the EPA, but calling that mini-van a trunk. This was based on a theory that only professional drivers drove trucks and less safety requirements were necessary and not as many trucks on the road so emissions was not really as important. But that didn't last long either, so the Germans took over, Daimler, I believe.

They sent over one guy to straighten Chrysler out when the entire Gestapo was needed, but Chrysler was not an American company after that merge, we only had two here. Our auto industry was far better before the great depression when we had over 3,500 manufacturers, that tapered down to two.

Well a group of private investors took over Chrysler, actually got it pretty cheap, but they are trying to get their act together. But is it again an American company or a Canadian company? But instead of making a good basic vehicle, came out with a bunch of funny cars.

What is all the excitement about a Toyota, was a laughing stock when they first came over here, had to cover the engine with an electric blanket to start the damn things if the temperature dropped below 60*F, and the cars would rust so fast, didn't need AC, had big holes in the body to keep you cool. Still a tin can with plastic panels that snap in, not only on the inside, but now on the outside as well. Drivetrain components just kind of hang on to this tin can. That could be the difference, with a hundred year history on making vehicles, a couple of books were written as to what works and what doesn't. A choice can be made as to what materials work and what doesn't. Choosing the correct seal for the job, doesn't really require a brain when pressures and temperature are known, as well as electrical connectors that do not corrode after five minutes of use. Electronics is also a bad joke using the same consumer grade ####### you find in that Chinese stuff sold at Wal-Mart, but selling for a zillion dollars more. Any vehicle made today is #######, buy it, drive it a couple of miles, toss it, and buy another, that is our market. Did you know a semi truck engine is good for over 4 million miles before it requires an overhaul? Now that is reliability and the engineering knowhow does exist, but hell, have to make the stockholders happy, the hell with the consumer.

Ha, love reading these comments where my piece of sh!t is better than your piece of sh!t, where are your credentials for making such wild statements, they are all sh!t

Oh, and the EPA dictates what kind of materials you can use in your vehicle, prime consideration is that is has to be easily recycled.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Only if the US stop making cheap cars. I've read in the Consumer Reports that Honda has the highest safety, lowest maintenance of all the car manufacturers. Actually, they're a whole league of their own because the graph showed they were miles apart from the American counterparts. It's the truth.

Google top 10 safe cars.

1. 2008 Ford Taurus <-------- American

2. 2008 Jeep Commander <-------- American

3. 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee <-------- American

4. 2008 Lincoln Town Car <-------- American

5. 2008 Infiniti FX

6. 2008 Honda Pilot

7. 2008 Mercury Sable <-------- American

8. 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis <-------- American

9. 2008 Chrysler Town & Country <-------- American

10. 2008 Toyota Highlander

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

My confusion is with the GOP demands for the UAW workers coming into line with the American Mercedes & Nissan workers etc... :blink::blink::blink: excuse me but did they make any demands on the salaries of the bank employee's? CEO's??? I are a weedle bit cornfuzed... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

All done for the next 10 years...

Now more then ever..."and Miles to go before I sleep and miles to go before I sleep"