Niel&Femi

Temp EAD at JFK

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi all,

I live in atlanta ga and Delta has direct flights from atlanta to lagos nigeria. So when my fiance gets approved and comes here. Is it worth it for him to go to JFK for the temp EAD or would it be better to come directly to Atlanta and wait for the EAD after marriage?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Temp "EAD" stamp is useful for dealing with Moronic SSA officials when attempting to get an SSN.

The temp EAD is only valid for 90 days from entry to the USA so in many cases an employer may not employ someone wit a short period of work auth.

Also your international flight needs to arrive at JFK and clear POE there to get the stamp.

Keep in mind: K-1 is not a work visa, it is a fiancee visa for entry to the USA and marriage, K-1 is "Work Auth" primarily to be able to get the SSN, some states are strict in their interpretation of a federal law that requires persons applying for a "license" to have SSN, this can cause a problem with marriage license if only one person has SSN and the other (the K-1 holder) does not.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

It really depends. In our case it was totally worth it, but our flight was straight to JFK anyway.

If he has some good job prospects upon entry to the country it may be worth a shot to get it.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline
It really depends. In our case it was totally worth it, but our flight was straight to JFK anyway.

If he has some good job prospects upon entry to the country it may be worth a shot to get it.

Hi Zee Bee, what do you suggest? Currently there arent any job prospect...havent started looking yet....

Filed: Timeline
Temp "EAD" stamp is useful for dealing with Moronic SSA officials when attempting to get an SSN.

And how? I think it's more likely to confuse people at SSA. Look at RM 00203.500 C1

C. Policy - Employment Authorization by Class of Admission

The following policy applies to employment authorization by class of admission:

1. Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization

The following sections list nonimmigrants, by alien class of admission codes, who are authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from DHS. The person’s I-94 will not have the DHS employment authorization stamp and the alien will generally not have an EAD.

Hi all,

I live in atlanta ga and Delta has direct flights from atlanta to lagos nigeria. So when my fiance gets approved and comes here. Is it worth it for him to go to JFK for the temp EAD or would it be better to come directly to Atlanta and wait for the EAD after marriage?

You are eligible for an SSN based on the K-1 status and providing the I-94 with or without any work stamp. Any stamp is only valid for the period your K-1 status is valid (90 days), so even if you are hired you would need to stop working after your K-1 status expires if you don't have an EAD card by that time.

Personally, I don't see any point in going out of your way to get the stamp unless you had a job lined up and the employer was OK with you working just 90 days.

Timeline

The following sections list nonimmigrants, by alien class of admission codes, who are authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from DHS. The person’s I-94 will not have the DHS employment authorization stamp and the alien will generally not have an EAD.

I dont know what this means. Can you explain?

I dont know what this means. Can you explain?

What part? That's SSA POMS procedure for determining which non immigrants are work authorized and what they need to provide to establish work authorization to be assigned an SSN or issued a replacement card. K-1s fall under that section (RM 00203.500 C1). I was saying with procedure saying the I-94 will not have a work stamp and you show them an I-94 with a work stamp it's probably going to cause more confusion to the SSA employee than if the I-94 doesn't have the work stamp and the stamp doesn't do you any good in getting an SSN as a K-1, since all you need is the unexpired I-94.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi Zee Bee, what do you suggest? Currently there arent any job prospect...havent started looking yet....

I'm not really sure. I think that is something you and your SO need to talk about. Its possible with the temp EAD that he could get some temp work while waiting to file AOS. Its up to you. I don't know how much extra it would cost to go through JFK and if the cost would be worth it to get the temp EAD.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

I'm not really sure. I think that is something you and your SO need to talk about. Its possible with the temp EAD that he could get some temp work while waiting to file AOS. Its up to you. I don't know how much extra it would cost to go through JFK and if the cost would be worth it to get the temp EAD.

The other thing is even though it's not a requirement of being hired, most employers aren't going to hire you without an SSN, so you could wind up paying extra to go through JFK for the work stamp and can't get hired because you don't have an SSN. Getting an SSN as a K-1 is different in every case, some people get verified right away and have the SSN and card within a week. Other people the K-1 status expires before they get the SSN.

In our case...it was not worth it!!!!! We discussed it and my SO came thru JFK specifically to get EAD. It took him 7mos to find some employment and it was for part time work. With the state of the economy, looking for work and finding work is going to be difficult. If I had to do over, I would have had him fly straight into Atlanta.

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
In our case...it was not worth it!!!!! We discussed it and my SO came thru JFK specifically to get EAD. It took him 7mos to find some employment and it was for part time work. With the state of the economy, looking for work and finding work is going to be difficult. If I had to do over, I would have had him fly straight into Atlanta.

It wasn't worth it for us because they didn't give him the temp EAD at JFK anyway! He needed it desperately and went through JFK specifically to get it and they just ignored him when he asked for it. So going thru JFK doesn't mean you'll get it anyway. And he did get his SS# with no problem and we got married before he got the SS# (our state doesn't require a SS# for a marriage license).

And when we went to the USCIS office here they told him it would take 4 months to get the Temp EAD which by the time he got it would have been expired for 1 month... GREAT!!!!! :angry:

He did have a job lined up, and could have had Health Ins. during these first 3 months... plus even if we didn't have a family business getting work for 3 months during the Christmas season would have been a cake walk.. (we live within walking distance of a Target store)... even if it didn't last after the holidays it would have kept him busy instead of sitting here bored out of his MIND...

So no guarantees that simply arriving at JFK will get him an EAD.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.