Flames9_RN

Fairfax VA oath ceremony info

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good day, just back from my oath ceremony and thought I would jot down a few things to assist anyone going to the Fairfax VA office. I had my interview back on Oct 15th at Fairfax, but there was an "extra" file on my case which they had to get from their central holding area in Nebraska. Normally they try to do the interview/oath the very same day at this office. But I had to wait to see what that "extra file" was, and I will never know,lol.

- I received my oath ceremony letter in the mail approx 1.5 weeks prior to the oath ceremony, so plenty of notice. My timer was for 0900. I arrived at 0830, security only took a few minutes

- Again one goes through security, your allowed phones and cameras

-Once past security, you stay on the MAIN level and wait in the waiting room, which is just to the left, and you do not require a 'ticket" (even thought it states a room on the 2nd floor in your letter) Around 0900 things start to happen. lady will direct you into three lines--these lines are designated by the LAST THREE #'s of your A # Ensure you have the questions on the back of your oath invitation filled out, very basic yes/no questions based on any changes since your interview!! Most likely your responses will be "no"

-When you get to the counter hand in your completed form and your green card!!! Say good bye to it, as you ain't getting it back! As well you have to sign a piece of paper!! As well they give you a white envelope and 2 books for reading. On the flap of the white envelope is a hand written #, that number is your seat # when u get to the 2nd floor

- Then you wait along side the wall and eventually they will take you up to the 2nd floor via the elevator.

- Once on 2nd floor take your seat according to your #. Get comfy as your going to be seated for awhile do nothing. So bring some reading material!! I think i was seated around 0915

- The actual ceremony didn't start till around 1005. lady gave a brief on the certificate, on the process, how it affects kids under the age of 18, explaining only to make black and white copies, you can't travel with this document, how to get a passport, etc! Then we stood for the Pledge of Allegiance and the very last thing was getting your certificate! Your loved ones are encouraged to come up and take pictures. One can even stick around later and take pics with the flags, etc etc! The lady stated throughout this process they have made us wait, so its your turn to make them wait,lol and its your day, so enjoy it. Staff was very friendly/professional

- Once you have your certificate, your free to go!!! I walked out around 1038. They call people up based on their # (# on the envelope)

Other tidbits of info: When your on the main floor getting into 1 of the 3 lines, family members don't have to get into line with you. They take family members up first to get seated.

It is a very relaxed, SLOW paced evolution,lol So bring something to read. $5 to park, which is right beside the building. There are bathroom on the main level, as well on the 2nd. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I should mention as well, that when I arrived around 0830, there was approx 10 people in front of me (to go through security) When I departed shortly after 1030, I noticed the line was outside the building, probably 20-30 people waiting to go through security.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thank you for all this information!!

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I just received my interview letter for the Fairfax office. Unfortunately my interview is in the afternoon at 2:20. Do you think I have a chance to take the oath the same day? Or is my interview scheduled too late for that? Any experiences?

Timeline

Mine was in the morning. Hard to say,but I would bet a no! Your interview may be for 2:20, but its highly unlikely you will actually be interviewed then. My appt was for 10 am I think, and I didn't get called till 1115. But ya never know. I didnt ask what time was the last ceremony of the day. Best of luck

here is my interview experience: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=156690&hl=

Edited by flames9

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

There is an oath ceremony at 4pm. Not sure if there is one after that - when I asked I was told that they try to have one every 2 hours.

Timeline

I read in another forum that Fairfax stopped doing same or next day oath ceremonies. Does anybody here know if this is true? If so, about how long does it usually take to get an oath letter? And about how long after that is the actual oath ceremony?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I don't think you have to take your hubby. They didn't ask to see my hubby either which was good because he had to go on an unexpected business trip that day. I would have liked to have him there for calm my nerves though :whistle:

@Stella: where did you hear that? It seemed like a well oiled machine there at the Fairfax office and that they were happy to get people through as quickly as possible.

Timeline

I read that in another forum. Somebody had an interview last week (I think) and they told his wife that they stopped same day oaths. Now he and his wife are waiting for an oath letter.

I think somebody here had his interview yesterday, maybe he'll post his experience today. :thumbs:

Timeline

My wife came to the interview, BUT she didnt come into the actual interview with me, just sat out in the waiting area. I witnessed numerous occasions, were the persons name was called and both stood and went towards the interviewer, but when they reached that person, the USA citizen was not allowed, so they just returned to their seat and waited.

No clue if they canceled the same day oath ceremonies. I chatted with my interviewer, and he said they had hired on many new staff to quicken the time frame.

At my interview--I passed, BUT they had to look at an "extra" file on my case, which they had to get from Nebraska. So that took a bit! 1 month after that I received my oath ceremony date. Interview was Oct 15, oath ceremony Dec 15. But min e was a bit whacky,lol

Timeline

disregard!!

Edited by flames9

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.