HaPPyFeEt

Getting Married 15 days before 1-94 expires?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Due to circumstances, long planning, my fiance and I decided to have our wedding on Feb 10 since we have some other relatives coming over from diff places. I assume the stamped date on my 1-94 is the expiry date of my K1 and work authorization.( that would be FEB 25).

Now will it be complicated if we file AOS between the remaining 15 days? what happens after we file and not have yet been approved? will I be considered out of status?

Also, we applied for my SSN yesterday and my card will be mailed in 2 weeks...I can have my name changed after we get married right? ....We do follow the guides provided by Vj but as much as possible we still wanted to be 101% sure and confident of the steps we are taking.

US Entry: Flying to US, POE JFk- 27/11/08

Married on: FEBRUARY 10.2009 - Finally =D

AOS,EAD & AP (K1)

Filed on: March 13 2009- Chicago Lockbox

Recieved our pckge: March 17 2009

Check cashed: March 24 2009

NOA for AOS,EAD&AP: March 25 2009(Rcpt dated March 23 2009)

Biometrics: April 10, 2009

AP Recieved: May 15, 2009

EAD Card Rcvd: May 22, 2009

Interview: June 05, 2009approved!

Rcvd GC: July 02,2009

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Due to circumstances, long planning, my fiance and I decided to have our wedding on Feb 10 since we have some other relatives coming over from diff places. I assume the stamped date on my 1-94 is the expiry date of my K1 and work authorization.( that would be FEB 25).

Now will it be complicated if we file AOS between the remaining 15 days? what happens after we file and not have yet been approved? will I be considered out of status?

Also, we applied for my SSN yesterday and my card will be mailed in 2 weeks...I can have my name changed after we get married right? ....We do follow the guides provided by Vj but as much as possible we still wanted to be 101% sure and confident of the steps we are taking.

As long as you get married before the expiration date on your K-1 you are good to go. He will not be out of status unless you get married after the K-1 expires. Yes, you can change your name as soon as you have your marriage certificate. good luck

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

As said above what matters is that you get married within 90 days of arriving.

You can file any time after that for AOS, and it's ok if you don't file for AOS within 90 days, many people on VJ filed after without any issue.

Your name can be changed on your card, however you might have to wait until you receive your EAD or Green Card to do that change. The social security office can be picky when it comes to the right papers to do it. I had to wait for the EAD, but it depends on each individul office.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

You need the marriage certificate to file for AOS. You DON"T have to file for AOS before the 90 day expiration date.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.