JIM & A.D.

December '08 Vermont K-1 Filers

1,243 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My fiance just submitted his review, so here it is for anyone who's curious :)

My K1 visa journey at Rio:

- I stayed at Hotel Formule 1 (R$ 99 daily, about U$ 50), the room is really small and there is no room service, but it works if you just want a place to sleep, it is like 10 minutes from the consulate in a cab and it costs about R$ 7 (U$ 3.50) to get there. Don't expect too much from this part of the city, it is on the center of the downtown, and it is *dirty*. And at night it is really scary, lots of bums getting food from trash on the streets.

- When you get at the consulate, there will be a huge line, don't go there! Ask the consulate people about immigration visa, there will be a person there helping people, and she will tell you to go upstairs, to the immigration department. If she is not there (she is the one helping upstairs too), you will have to wait in line.

- To get there, you will need to leave all the electronic stuff on the reception, go on the xray, then ask for the immigration room, or just follow the signs.

- Upstairs, she will be helping people with the papers, she will give two sheets to everybody, one is a form to fill your name and contact info and the other one is the document order (the same one on the document list of the website, be aware that the website has a link called "IMPORTANT: Order of the documents" that is outdated, look at the "Documents required for visa", i've made all the forms on both of the links tho, just to be sure)

- ATTENTION!!! Main problems I saw with other applicants:

- Photo not showing ears!

- Missing forms

- Just one copy of DS-156 (you need two)

- Form DS-156 printed from somewhere else. The DS-156 *MUST* be filled online and the result printed, and doing a mistake on this one is a big no, because you can't file it by hand, and your appointment will be rescheduled.

* Besides that, the attendant is very nice and allow people to go out to take new photos, copies or get help from relatives (in case they are not there with you already)

- Then she will call each person to check if everything is filled and in order and helping (actually she will put it in order for you in case you didn't do it correctly).

- After that, each applicant is called in a cabin, but it is not the interview yet, you will get your documents reviewed again by another person, that will take them to prepare for the interview with the consul later.

- And the waiting for the interview starts ! If you are nervous, it is a nice time to talk to the other applicants, or to help people that don't know vj and are having trouble preparing the forms

- Then after one hour or two, I was called to the consul's cabin. My interview was really fast, it took less than 10 minutes:

- First I had to swear I was saying the truth and that everything on the documents were true, then sign the sworn statements on the forms (I think there are two, read the forms so you don't sign the ones you have to sign with the consul).

- After the sworn statement, he started with the questions, that in my case, were just a few: he asked how and when I've met my fiancee in person, the dates we've met, when we decided to marry, how much time we've spent together already and when our son was born.

- A hint is to stay calm and answer the questions without thinking too much, i was a bit nervous and answered some dates wrong, but I corrected it later and it was OK. Remember it is normal to make confusion with dates, specially if you are a man (LOL ), the most important is to stay calm, tell the truth and act naturally.

- Even though he didn't ask for any proof or evidence of my relationship, it is highly recommended to bring proof for the interview, cause the consul usually looks at them.

- Then out of the blue, he said "ok, your visa will be approved" , gave me a green paper and told me to talk to the girl outside to finish the process.

- With the paper, I just needed to talk to the girl again, go downstairs and pay to get it shipped to my house (it was R$ 39, about U$ 20), I think it depends on where you live, so be sure you have more money with you, because there is no pick up option, you have to pay to get it delivered.

- They said it takes between 3-5 business days to have the visa done, and up to 7 business days to get it after it is shipped, this part was kind of scary, I didn't feel too confident in the person saying that, so I don't know, I am waiting to see when it gets here. So be sure you don't go crazy and buy a ticket for the next day, because you will still need to get the visa in hands!

AoS...EaD...AP Journey

09.28.09 - AoS Packet Sent

09.29.09 - Packet Received

10.05.09 - Noa1 x's 3

10.06.09 - Check Cashed

10.09.09 - 3 Noa Hard Copies Arrive

10.14.09 - Biometrics Letter Arrives

10.21.09 - Case Transferred to CSC

10.26.09 - Transfer Letter Arrives

10.27..09 - Touched & Added to Uscis Site

10.28.09 - Walk-In Biometrics Done & Touched

10.29.09 - Touched

10.30.09 - Scheduled Biometrics Appointment

11.02 & 11.03.09 - I485 touched

11.12.09 - EaD & AP Approved

11.16.09 - AP Letter Arrives in Mail

11.21.09 - EaD Card Arrives in Mail

12.09.09 - AOS APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12.09.08 - 12.09.09 - Exactly 1 year from K1 first Noa to Aos Approval

Next Step....

Lifting Conditions 9.07.11

x.xThe universe may not always play fair, but at least it's got a hell of a sense of humor x.x

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
My fiance just submitted his review, so here it is for anyone who's curious :)

My K1 visa journey at Rio:

- I stayed at Hotel Formule 1 (R$ 99 daily, about U$ 50), the room is really small and there is no room service, but it works if you just want a place to sleep, it is like 10 minutes from the consulate in a cab and it costs about R$ 7 (U$ 3.50) to get there. Don't expect too much from this part of the city, it is on the center of the downtown, and it is *dirty*. And at night it is really scary, lots of bums getting food from trash on the streets.

- When you get at the consulate, there will be a huge line, don't go there! Ask the consulate people about immigration visa, there will be a person there helping people, and she will tell you to go upstairs, to the immigration department. If she is not there (she is the one helping upstairs too), you will have to wait in line.

- To get there, you will need to leave all the electronic stuff on the reception, go on the xray, then ask for the immigration room, or just follow the signs.

- Upstairs, she will be helping people with the papers, she will give two sheets to everybody, one is a form to fill your name and contact info and the other one is the document order (the same one on the document list of the website, be aware that the website has a link called "IMPORTANT: Order of the documents" that is outdated, look at the "Documents required for visa", i've made all the forms on both of the links tho, just to be sure)

- ATTENTION!!! Main problems I saw with other applicants:

- Photo not showing ears!

- Missing forms

- Just one copy of DS-156 (you need two)

- Form DS-156 printed from somewhere else. The DS-156 *MUST* be filled online and the result printed, and doing a mistake on this one is a big no, because you can't file it by hand, and your appointment will be rescheduled.

* Besides that, the attendant is very nice and allow people to go out to take new photos, copies or get help from relatives (in case they are not there with you already)

- Then she will call each person to check if everything is filled and in order and helping (actually she will put it in order for you in case you didn't do it correctly).

- After that, each applicant is called in a cabin, but it is not the interview yet, you will get your documents reviewed again by another person, that will take them to prepare for the interview with the consul later.

- And the waiting for the interview starts ! If you are nervous, it is a nice time to talk to the other applicants, or to help people that don't know vj and are having trouble preparing the forms

- Then after one hour or two, I was called to the consul's cabin. My interview was really fast, it took less than 10 minutes:

- First I had to swear I was saying the truth and that everything on the documents were true, then sign the sworn statements on the forms (I think there are two, read the forms so you don't sign the ones you have to sign with the consul).

- After the sworn statement, he started with the questions, that in my case, were just a few: he asked how and when I've met my fiancee in person, the dates we've met, when we decided to marry, how much time we've spent together already and when our son was born.

- A hint is to stay calm and answer the questions without thinking too much, i was a bit nervous and answered some dates wrong, but I corrected it later and it was OK. Remember it is normal to make confusion with dates, specially if you are a man (LOL ), the most important is to stay calm, tell the truth and act naturally.

- Even though he didn't ask for any proof or evidence of my relationship, it is highly recommended to bring proof for the interview, cause the consul usually looks at them.

- Then out of the blue, he said "ok, your visa will be approved" , gave me a green paper and told me to talk to the girl outside to finish the process.

- With the paper, I just needed to talk to the girl again, go downstairs and pay to get it shipped to my house (it was R$ 39, about U$ 20), I think it depends on where you live, so be sure you have more money with you, because there is no pick up option, you have to pay to get it delivered.

- They said it takes between 3-5 business days to have the visa done, and up to 7 business days to get it after it is shipped, this part was kind of scary, I didn't feel too confident in the person saying that, so I don't know, I am waiting to see when it gets here. So be sure you don't go crazy and buy a ticket for the next day, because you will still need to get the visa in hands!

Congratulations!

Thanks for the info on the interview.

I've heard that the visa will be realeased from the consul 1-2 days, since you got approved yesterday and early yesterday, I would presume that yours might already be in transit. If not, it will be going out today. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if your SO has the visa in hand by Friday!

once again Congrats, and good luck with your new journey now.

Timeline

Wow kcrand, that would be so awesome! I really hope you're right. I miss him so much.

AoS...EaD...AP Journey

10.05.09 - Noa1 x's 3

10.06.09 - Check Cashed

10.29.09 - Touched

Next Step....

x.xThe universe may not always play fair, but at least it's got a hell of a sense of humor x.x

Congratulations Xaenyth !! Wow... that's awesome. Thanks for the interview review. :star:

My AOS Timeline

I-751

01/17/12: Mailed priority with delivery conf.

01/20/12: Arrived Vermont service center

01/24/12: Check Cashed.....yippeee

01/26/12: Received NOA in the mail

02/14/12: ASC APPOINTMENT NOTICE

03/08/12: Biometrics appointment date

01/10/12: 10 year green card in the mail!

Timeline

Yay! Our visa is done and is in transit right now! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

God. I don't think I will stop holding my breath until he is off the plane and finally here.

AoS...EaD...AP Journey

10.05.09 - Noa1 x's 3

10.06.09 - Check Cashed

10.29.09 - Touched

Next Step....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I just checked the USCIS website, as I do everyday before and after work, and...... I WAS TOUCHED!!!!!! :dance: :dance:

I then clicked the thing to see status. No change. :(

But I'm hopeful!! A touch today, hopefully an NOA2 tomorrow/Monday. B)

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Timeline

:dance: :dance: :dance: YOU WERE TOUCHED! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Here comes your Noa2

Good luck. You deserve this.

AoS...EaD...AP Journey

10.05.09 - Noa1 x's 3

10.06.09 - Check Cashed

10.29.09 - Touched

Next Step....

Timeline

BL2B...3 days til your interview. I'm so excited for you! Are you freaking out yet? ;)

AoS...EaD...AP Journey

10.05.09 - Noa1 x's 3

10.06.09 - Check Cashed

10.29.09 - Touched

Next Step....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
I just checked the USCIS website, as I do everyday before and after work, and...... I WAS TOUCHED!!!!!! :dance: :dance:

That's wonderful news. Hopefully, your prolonged patience will finally pay off in the next few days!

Do you know it was touched by the "last updated" section on the USCIS website saying a new date? I'm still a little confused about how you know you've been touched. Thanks!

I-129F Sent 2/2/2009

NOA1 2/18/2009

Touch 2/23/2009

NOA2 Approval Date 6/18/2009 (at Igor's List #167 when approved)

NOA2 Received 6/26/2009

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Exactly. Touched = When last updated date changes

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

That's Great! Your NOA2 is on the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
BL2B...3 days til your interview. I'm so excited for you! Are you freaking out yet? ;)

Yup, Monday is the BIG day :star:

I guess I am freaking a bit and my mind is in 101 places right now thinking of everything that needs to be done after the interview in limited time.

Went to the mall today... I take this route EVERY weekend. Goodness knows how I got where I did, but I sure wasn't at the mall. I got hopelessly lost within 10 miles from home. :bonk: Im seriously losing it, but all will be fine after Monday and I can get back on track.

NatPatBen that touch sounds promising. Crossing fingers that your big moment will be in the coming week.

Our K1 Journey Timeline

06.00.1998 - Met Online

12.22.2008 - I-129F received by VSC

12.22.2008 - NOA1 issued

04.08.2009 - NOA2 in 107 days - Igors List #174

04.14.2009 - NVC sent to Consulate in South Africa

04.29.2009 - Consulate received

05.04.2009 - Packet #3 received

05.08.2009 - Packet #4 received

05.14.2009 - Medical - Passed

06.22.2009 - Interview - APPROVED

06.29.2009 - Visa in hand

08.06.2009 - POE - Boston

08.22.2009 - Returned to South Africa

yaaaay! I passed the medical exam :dance: will now get ready for interview, the judgement day :dancing:

That's awesome maset :thumbs:

Next step...interview :)

hello my fellow Dec. vermont filers!I just want to share the good news! yes, I passed the interview! :dance: I just want to say THANK YOU for all you responses to my posts and moral support :yes:

B2LB good luck on ur interview :) I hope you share the same good news afterwards!

NatpatBen, Glad your case was TOUCHED :) can't wait for you to get your NOA2 :) I can smell it, it right around the corner and its getting near!

In God's Perfect timing! Till my next post!

AOS Timeline:
10.19.09 - sent AOS package (I-485,I-131,I-765)
10.21.09 - delivered; received by: J.CHYBA
10.27.09 - NOA I-485, I-765 and I-131
10.28.09 - check cashed
11.06.09 - Biometrics Appointment letter received, dated October 30, 2009
11.10.09 - case transferred to CSC
11.24.09 - Biometrics appointment
12.10.09 - EAD and AP card production ordered
12.15.09 - I-765 card production ordered and I-485 approval notice
12.18.09 - greencard and AP in the mail!
12.19.09 - EAD card in the mail

I-175 Timeline
10.17.11 - Filed I-175
10.21.11 - NOA
12.19.11 - Biometrics
07.09.12 - Approved

N-400 Timeline

08.06.15 - Filed N-400

08.13.15 - Check Cashed

08.17.15 - NOA

09.04.15 - Biometrics

09.17.15 - Interview letter received

10.15.15 - Interview. Approved.

11.06.15 - Oath Taking Ceremony / US CITIZEN

Timeline

Congrats on the interview :)

AoS...EaD...AP Journey

10.05.09 - Noa1 x's 3

10.06.09 - Check Cashed

10.29.09 - Touched

Next Step....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.