hayezdreamz

Visiting the USA whilst visa is being processed

6 posts in this topic

I'm really confused! :unsure:

Background: My visa is currently with the NVC for processing, I'm at the stage where I have to pay the processing fee before they will send me the packet to complete for them to process.

I don't know if I am allowed to travel to the US whilst my visa is being processed for a holiday? My husband is graduating and it's our one year anniversary and I wished to share this with him (just a week!) I've looked through the USCIS website, the CBP website, the homeland security website and a few other US government websites and it doesn't say either or. I rang the US embassy in London and the lady said "That it's up to the POE if they want to let me in and I'd have to have enough documents"

Which is fair enough - although I can't find anywhere that gives any advice on what the right evidence documents would be.

I have a return ticket, my husband will be returning to england with me when I go (he's staying for 2 months) and we are sat next to me, so I will have his ticket too. But what else should I take?

Would my loan agreement be ok? (it shows how much I have to pay in total and when the payments are due till)

Would a credit card statement also be ok?

I want advice on all the types of documentation that I should take with me as evidence that I intend to return home? Also will the fact that the NVC haven't started to fully process my application and that I am not able to adjust my status whilst in the US be good evidence?

Thank You

Poppy

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

Being from a Visa Waiver Program (VWP) country,

you're free to visit the US anytime for up to 6 months in a calendar year.

Of course there's the caveat that you could be denied entry at anytime,

but as long as you don't start bragging about your pending immigration visa,

and haven't been denied entry in the past, you shouldn't have any problems.

THAT SAID, it's always a good idea to have documents available that prove

your ties to the UK, and that you have a reasonable intent NOT to immigrate

on VWP entry.

The best documents to carry will show an obligation to employment as well

as an obligation to housing in the UK.

Speaking of your marriage to a USC spouse, or showing his ticket, may not be in your best interest.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

I've been looking all overthose websites too, looking for something concrete but there's nothing. It's all worded purposely vague.

For instance, I found after reading all of the possible things they could deny me for... there's actually nothing on there that fits with me. I would never misrepresent, have never overstayed, no criminal record, I have "documentation" such as passport, return ticket, housing contract, school contract, letters from family/teacher... BUT they can still deny me based on (I don't remember the exact wording or part of the IRA): Visitors are assumed to be intending immigrants and were not convinced otherwise. How vague is that?? If one officer is having a bad day and decides to refuse me entry, there is always a charge to slap on.

I've tried to get my fiance to call up the Border Protection at Boston Logan, but when he did, a very rude man told him that he couldn't put him through.. my fiance asked if he knew of the correct number to call then, and the man said "no" and hung up on him! He's going to try again today to find out more..

Basically, bring something that shows housing, education/employment, money etc in the UK. Other than that, welcome to the party of assumed intending immigrant intent.

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

Sorry Gemmie, but you're pretty much correct.

You can be denied just because your perfume reminded the Immigration Officer of his ex-girlfriend.

The reality is, being from the UK, not having a criminal record, not having previously overstayed, etc.,

the likelihood of your being turned away is rather slim.

I lived in North Finchley for a spell, and have loads of friends from the UK.

I've never known any of them to be turned away.

Matter of fact, it's often more common for Canadians (especially passing through Toronto) to be denied entry, than UK citizens.

I really wouldn't lose any sleep over coming to the US on holiday, but it's absolutely prudent to bring your supporting documents.

Edited by Ling Ling

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My Canadian fiance and I have discussed him staying here in the US for a few months while we wait for the NOA2. There is no problem with getting letters from the employer and a copy of his existing lease agreement, plus paid rent through the time he would be in the states. We realize he could be turned away at the POE (likely Detroit or Buffalo, via bus :wacko: ). Does anyone have any stories or suggestions to share for an extended stay while waiting on a K-1 NOA2? I'd love some more input. I've read the FAQs and many people's questions and answers on visiting during the waiting process. Just looking for advice concerning the longer visits...

Thanks! Best Wishes to all.

:star:

[font="Arial Black"][b]Our Visa Journey[/b][/font]
[color="#4B0082"]Met June 6, 2008 & Fell in love :)
He Propsed! September 15, 2008
Mailed I-129F: October 17th, 2008
[b]NOA1: October 28, 2008[/b]
[b]NOA2: March 13th, 2009 * Friday the 13th!*[/b]
NVC Received: April 2, 2009
NVC Shipped to Montreal Consulate: April 3, 2009
Montreal Consulate Received: April 6, 2009
Packet 3 Sent: April 9th, 2009
4/21: Contacted DoS RE lost packet 3 - operator told us to go ahead and send in all our documents
Packet 3 Received in Montreal: 4/22
Packet 3 logged in MTL: 4/24
Packet 4: June 3, 2009
[b]Interview Date: July 8, 2009!! APPROVED![/b]
POE & Date: July 15, 2009
Courthouse wedding: July 17, 2009

Ceremonial Wedding: First weekend June 2010 [/color]

I WISH I COULD FIX MY TIMELINE TOO! :)

[b]Getting it all together for the AOS :) [/b]

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

take anything you can that proves ties to home, a letter from your employer saying when you are expected back to work or a rental agreement/mortgage for where you live. i'd also take something relating to the graduation to show when/where it is happening. i'm sure a graduation is a legitimate enough reason to visit.