Kyrgyzfriend

Marriage and I-130

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline
I've been engaged for a year now to a wonderful lady from Kyrgyzstan and we would love to get married this summer, sometime in August or September. My fiancée is currently working on finding a visa to come over here to do an internship with InterVarsity in Maddison, Wisconsin which she's working towards starting in February (though that's flexible). Now recently we've heard about the possibility of just getting married and then applying for an I-130, so she can stay in The States and then start the internship after she gets her green card. This is just something we've heard about as being a possibility, so we're looking for further information on this, particularly from those who have gone through this though any information from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I've been engaged for a year now to a wonderful lady from Kyrgyzstan and we would love to get married this summer, sometime in August or September. My fiancée is currently working on finding a visa to come over here to do an internship with InterVarsity in Maddison, Wisconsin which she's working towards starting in February (though that's flexible). Now recently we've heard about the possibility of just getting married and then applying for an I-130, so she can stay in The States and then start the internship after she gets her green card. This is just something we've heard about as being a possibility, so we're looking for further information on this, particularly from those who have gone through this though any information from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Entering on a non-immigrant visa (unless it has dual intent) with the intention of circumventing immigration laws is a real no no....

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If she uses any other visa to stay in the US and adjust status to get her residency, she would be committing fraud. If she uses that other visa to get married and then fly back home until her CR1 or K3 interview is scheduled then that's fine.

To get more info regarding either visa, you can start reading the guides found here in VJ.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline
If she uses any other visa to stay in the US and adjust status to get her residency, she would be committing fraud. If she uses that other visa to get married and then fly back home until her CR1 or K3 interview is scheduled then that's fine.

To get more info regarding either visa, you can start reading the guides found here in VJ.

Diana

I don't seem to understand, what visas you are talking about? Are you talking about dual intent visas or what???

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I think the K-3 visa is being referred to.

March 7, 2008 - Married

March 19, 2008 - I-130 Sent

March 20, 2008 - I-130 Delivered in Chicago, IL 60680 @ 2:44pm; Signed for by V Bustamante

March 26, 2008 - I-130 NOA1

April 2, 2008 - I-129F Sent

April 3, 2008 - I-129F Delivered in Saint Albans, VT 05479 @ 12:05pm; Signed for by P Novak

April 4, 2008 - I-129F NOA1

September 23, 2008 - I-129F RFE1 Sent by USCIS, Request for recent passport-style photos

September 27, 2008 - I-129F RFE1 Received

October 1, 2008 - I-129F Photos sent in responce to RFE1

October 2, 2008 - I-129F Photos delivered in Saint Albans, VT 05479; Signed for by M Hazuda

October 3, 2008 - I-130 & I-129F Case processing resumed

October 14, 2008 - I-130 & I-129F petitions approved

October 16, 2008 - VSC put NOA2s in mail

October 20, 2008 - Received I-130 & I-129F NOA2s

November 7, 2008 - I-129F & I-130 petitions recieved at NVC & NVC says I-129F forwarded to Consulate

November 13,2008 - I-129F appears to have been shipped via DHL website on this date, Tracking #: 9486375732

November 17, 2008 - DS-3032 & AOS Fee Bill generated

November 18, 2008 - DS-3032 overnighted to NVC

November 22, 2008 - IIN received in mail; Paid AOS & IV Fee Bills online

November 25, 2008 - AOS & IV Fee Bills rejected; Paid Fees again online (now pending)

November 26, 2008 - AOS & DS-230 packets overnighted to NVC (payments show as paid)

December 16, 2008 - K-3 Visa Interview (now cancelled)

December 2, 2008 - Case complete @ NVC; waiting for interview date to be set

January 16, 2008 - CR-1 Visa Interview

• 1 year later...
Entering on a non-immigrant visa (unless it has dual intent) with the intention of circumventing immigration laws is a real no no....

But what about entering on non-immigrant visa, getting married and then leaving i.e. not circumventing immigration laws?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
But what about entering on non-immigrant visa, getting married and then leaving i.e. not circumventing immigration laws?

marriage is not a problem... it is the intent to immigrating

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.