Karaoke

NVC sudden doubts

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

I am preparing the documents to send to the US for my wife..

I suddenly got some doubts.

I remember that the documents need to be original, in English OR in the language of my country (consulate people are supposed to read local language!)

Any third language ONLY would need translations, is that so? Can you confirm that's the case??

Also, concerning police certificates, they need to be for any place I live since I was 16, for LONGER THAN HOW MANY MONTHS?

Are they valid for 1 year from issuance? What if the interview takes place AFTER 1 year, but I submitted them in time?

Edited by charisma1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If they are not in English or the local language of the country the US embassy is located, then they need to be translated.

You need to get police certificates from the countries you lived for more than 6 months, and they don't have to be consecutive months. The time of validity of each certificate is designated by each country, so it varies, usually from 6 months to a year.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

You're submitting documents for the consideration of the USCIS in the US, not the consulate. Therefore all documents not in english need to be translated. The translation doesn't have to be by a certified translator, but someone of recognised fluency - like a teacher.

If you lived somewhere less than 6 months, you are not required to obtain a police certificate. Otherwise, you need one for every country you have resided in since your 16th birthday. They are valid for 1 year and if you are interviewed after a year from the date on the certificate, you would need to obtain new, more recent certificates.

I agree, it seems silly when you lived somewhere between the ages of 16 and 18 and that was 12 years ago, that you haven't lived there again since so your record won't change. But that's the case.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Some police certificates are only valid for 6 months so, as stated, you will want to check with each country issuing the certificate to determine how long it will be valid.

Best of Luck!!

I-130 Journey

03/12/2008 I-130 Sent

03/17/2008 NOA1

05/07/2008, 05/08/2008 Touched

10/31/2008 Approved!!

NVC Journey

11/07/2008 I-130 Received; Case Number Assigned

11/12/2008 AOS Fee Bill Generated/DS3032 mailed

11/12/2008 Emailed DS3032 11/13/2008 Mailed DS3032 Hardcopy

11/15/2008 AOS Fee Bill Received in Mail (IIN Received in the mail)

11/17/2008 Paid AOS Fee Online

11/17/2008 DS3032 Accepted

11/18/2008 AOS Fee shows as Paid; Mailed AOS Packet overnight

11/18/2008 IV Fee Available, IV Fee Paid Online

11/20/2008 Mailed DS230 Packet Overnight, AOS Entered into the system (False RFE Message) Rec 11/21

11/24/2008 IV Bill hardcopy received (not needed since I paid online)

11/26/2008 NVC Case Complete 19 days!!

12/23/2008 CR1Visa In Hand

12/24/2008 POE San Juan

US Entry

01/09/2009 Welcome Letter/Card Processing ordered

01/15/2009 Green Card Received, 01/14/2009 SS Card Received

Removal of Conditions

10/16/2010 I751 Sent

10/25/2010 NOA Received NOA Date 10/19/2010

01/12/2011 Biometrics (Biometrics letter date 12/15/2010)

03/03/2011 Approved - Card Production Ordered

03/10/2011 GC Received

US Citizenship

10/13/2011 N400 Sent

10/18/2011 NOA 10/19/2011 Check Cashed

04/17/2012 Email bio letter sent (received 4/19/12)

04/24/2012 Early Bio due to travel plans (bio date orig 5/11/12)

04/30/2012 Interview letter received

Timeline

That's what I had assumed... but it seems SunDrop thinks it is not the case. I knew that USCIS was like SunDrops says, but for NVC, I thought it was enough if it was local language... I'll try check with NVC.. Did anyone ever got an RFE for example for submitting an original police certificate in the local language only?

Also, I thought I had read somewhere on NVC website that you needed a police certificate only for places where you actually lived more than 12months, if they are not your residence country..

If they are not in English or the local language of the country the US embassy is located, then they need to be translated.

You need to get police certificates from the countries you lived for more than 6 months, and they don't have to be consecutive months. The time of validity of each certificate is designated by each country, so it varies, usually from 6 months to a year.

Diana

Timeline

ON POLICE CERTIFICATES... What do you make of this:

Review the information concerning police certificates: All applicants 16 years and over are required to furnish a police certificate (certificate of good conduct) to cover any period of residence of twelve months or more since reaching the age of sixteen; the period of residence is six months if country of birth or current residence.

Source: http://www.usembassy.kz/consular/approved_petition.shtml

Other emabassies have similar notes, and I remember reading something like this also on the NVC website somewhere..

In other words, if it is not your country, you have to submit a police certificate if you lived 12 months or more..

Do I interpret it correctly??

That's what I had assumed... but it seems SunDrop thinks it is not the case. I knew that USCIS was like SunDrops says, but for NVC, I thought it was enough if it was local language... I'll try check with NVC.. Did anyone ever got an RFE for example for submitting an original police certificate in the local language only?

Also, I thought I had read somewhere on NVC website that you needed a police certificate only for places where you actually lived more than 12months, if they are not your residence country..

Diana

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline
You're submitting documents for the consideration of the USCIS in the US, not the consulate. Therefore all documents not in english need to be translated. The translation doesn't have to be by a certified translator, but someone of recognised fluency - like a teacher.

If we're talking about the NVC stage, you are incorrect.

USCIS reviews your petition, and warehouses your visa application.

NVC does the preliminary review of CR-1/IR-1 (and other) visa applications.

The final review for CR-1/IR-1 is typically completed at a US Embassy.

Original documents should be submitted in English or in the native language of the Consulate.

Silly or not, 12 years ago or 40 years ago, Police Certificates are required for any place in their country of citizenship; the beneficiary has lived longer than six (6) months, after age of 16, also note that Police Certificates are required for any places which beneficiary has lived longer than twelve (12) months in any other country other than country of citizenship, after age of 16.

We have enough criminals in the US, don't need to import/immigrate more.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Original documents should be submitted in English or in the native language of the Consulate.

Silly or not, 12 years ago or 40 years ago, Police Certificates are required for any place in their country of citizenship; the beneficiary has lived longer than six (6) months, after age of 16, also note that Police Certificates are required for any places which beneficiary has lived longer than twelve (12) months in any other country other than country of citizenship, after age of 16.

I have a question. What if one of the countries my husband was in doesn't issue a PCC? I looked up the country of my husband's birth on the link (in the shortcut). It said, under PCC, "not available"... We can get one where he is currently a citizen, but not his country of birth...what do they do then???

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

I have a question. What if one of the countries my husband was in doesn't issue a PCC? I looked up the country of my husband's birth on the link (in the shortcut). It said, under PCC, "not available"... We can get one where he is currently a citizen, but not his country of birth...what do they do then???

If it's listed as "not available" then they're aware of it. Just be sure to make some notation...perhaps even a sheet of paper that indicates that it's unavailable, and the reference to the reciprocity page, or better yet, "the reciprocity page" with the section highlighted.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.