spicer650

Question about the Affidavit of Support form

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hello, my wife and I are filing our AOS but as it is we're a young couple and currently I can't file for her Affidavit of Support under just my income so in the meantime we're using my mother who is a speech therapist as the sponsor. My question is when filing this in the AOS packet do we need to do anything special? We marked under part 1 that my mother is the petitioner. I filed or am filing for the immigration of my relative. Is this correct? Otherwise I wasn't sure if I needed to file it under myself and then list her as a joint because when we were first applying for the K1 visa we tried to use mine but were denied so then my wife had to return to the embassy with my mothers information. We're just a little confused, some clarification would be great, thanks.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello, my wife and I are filing our AOS but as it is we're a young couple and currently I can't file for her Affidavit of Support under just my income so in the meantime we're using my mother who is a speech therapist as the sponsor. My question is when filing this in the AOS packet do we need to do anything special? We marked under part 1 that my mother is the petitioner. I filed or am filing for the immigration of my relative. Is this correct? Otherwise I wasn't sure if I needed to file it under myself and then list her as a joint because when we were first applying for the K1 visa we tried to use mine but were denied so then my wife had to return to the embassy with my mothers information. We're just a little confused, some clarification would be great, thanks.

Your wife is the "applicant" in this context. You are the "petitioner" and your mother is the "joint sponsor".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Your wife is the "applicant" in this context. You are the "petitioner" and your mother is the "joint sponsor".

Okay so then just to clarify, on the Affidavit of Support, I fill it out as in I am the sponsor (even though I know my current earnings aren't what meet the guidelines and on the same support form my mother should fill it out as a joint sponsor?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Okay so then just to clarify, on the Affidavit of Support, I fill it out as in I am the sponsor (even though I know my current earnings aren't what meet the guidelines and on the same support form my mother should fill it out as a joint sponsor?

Yes, two I-864 forms. You are the sponsor and she is the joint sponsor.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You shoud fill out and submit one (1) form I-864 for petitioner/sponsor which is yourself even your income is zero ($0.00) and your mother must submit one (1) form I-864 for co-sponsor/joint petitionerwhich is your mother. Hence, you must submit two(2) affidavits.

Edited by jhunjhun

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

Timeline

You shoud fill out and submit one (1) form I-864 for petitioner/sponsor which is yourself even your income is zero ($0.00) and your mother must submit one (1) form I-864 for co-sponsor/joint petitionerwhich is your mother. Hence, you must submit two(2) affidavits.

Sorry one last question but when my mother goes to file her form, should she just use another generic I-864 or should she use the I-864A for a household member? I just saw that there was an A form and didn't know which would be best :/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

when we did our papers, my husband was the petisioner and we were young as well with little income, so we had a friend as a joint sponsor....

06/28/2004. Happily Married in Miami Florida.

09/??/2004 Send I-130, 486 Package and ETC. for AOS

01/??/05 Workers permit received.

Got Social Security Card!!!

08/29/2005 Interview went awesome!

09/??/2005 Green Card arrived!!!!!!!! YUPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Removal of Conditions:

06/01/2007 Send package to TEXAS Service Center

06/07/2007 Received NOA

09/20/2007 Went to get an stamp, denied stamp at the Miami USCIS Office =(

01/31/2008 Transfer to Vermont Service Center (after almost 8 months!)

02/22/2008 This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.

02/26/2008 This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred. (Last Touched)

07/01/2008 : still waiting for a miracle after 390 days of suffering....

07/02/2008: Infopass Appointment. passport Stamp....

07/03/2008: Incredible!!!! Card Production Ordered!!!!!!

07/04/2008: Touched. Duplicate email Card Production Order

07/07/2008: Touched

07/08/2008: Touched. Email with notice of approval

07/09/2008: Touched again!

07/11/2008: CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!!! THANKS!!!! WELLCOME IMMIGRANT LETTER!!! :P

Naturalization Process:

06/23/2010: 06/23/2010 - Send N400 after 5 years of permanent residency. Good luck !

Timeline

Yes thats what we're going threw now, it's just a matter of which paper to use at this point. I just finished my 864 for myself (lol after work expenses my income is measly) and filed it as the main sponsor/petitioner now we're just waiting to hear what the VJ forums say about if we should just use the 864 for my mother who is going to joint sponsor or if we should use 864A and file as a household joint sponsor

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.