Ramel

Is it possible to upgrade from k1 to k3?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I already recieved my NOA1 for my K1 application. but if i will change my mind and marry my fiancee in her country instead. Can I change my application without going back to all those process again? like passing another application?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I already recieved my NOA1 for my K1 application. but if i will change my mind and marry my fiancee in her country instead. Can I change my application without going back to all those process again? like passing another application?

No. You would withdraw your I-129F petition and file an I-130 petition for your spouse. You start from scratch, no progress and no refund.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Why would you want to do that? A K3 takes just as long, if not longer than K1. The K3 is outdated.

Timeline

Why would you want to do that? A K3 takes just as long, if not longer than K1. The K3 is outdated.

There are many possible reasons for doing exactly this. It's generally helpful to remember the primary goal is marriage and living happily ever after. Family and other concerns often are a higher priority than the speed of being reunited with a loved one. As such, the fastest way to the visa is often not the best path for the couple. Priorities also tend to change as relationships progress and as people discover the eventual ramifications of their initial choices. This may sound cryptic but there are many possibilities. So, while it's perfectly legitimate to ask the "why" questions, do be prepared to hear as many different good reasons as there are couples contemplating such an action.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

There are many possible reasons for doing exactly this. It's generally helpful to remember the primary goal is marriage and living happily ever after. Family and other concerns often are a higher priority than the speed of being reunited with a loved one. As such, the fastest way to the visa is often not the best path for the couple. Priorities also tend to change as relationships progress and as people discover the eventual ramifications of their initial choices. This may sound cryptic but there are many possibilities. So, while it's perfectly legitimate to ask the "why" questions, do be prepared to hear as many different good reasons as there are couples contemplating such an action.

Indeed. Which is why I was asking why? To get a better understanding of the situation. It's very vague.

Timeline

Indeed. Which is why I was asking why? To get a better understanding of the situation. It's very vague.

With respect, combined with the vague statement, "The K3 is outdated." your question seemed to track with your repeated promotion of the K1 visa as the "best" choice, each time the question comes up. The OP didn't ask for examples of when getting married during the K1 process would be a good idea. He asked what he asked and the answer is "no". We are not entitled to know the reason behind his question. Our curiosity is something we own outright.

When and where to marry and why are all highly personal decisions based on wide ranging priorities and values. Let's respect that.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

With respect, combined with the vague statement, "The K3 is outdated." your question seemed to track with your repeated promotion of the K1 visa as the "best" choice, each time the question comes up. The OP didn't ask for examples of when getting married during the K1 process would be a good idea. He asked what he asked and the answer is "no". We are not entitled to know the reason behind his question. Our curiosity is something we own outright.

When and where to marry and why are all highly personal decisions based on wide ranging priorities and values. Let's respect that.

With respect. Not once did I mention the K1 is best. I'm just going with the information I have gathered on my own journey. We all have different paths to follow and opinions to accompany them.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

No such thing as an "upgrade"... It is not like going from "economy" to "business" or "first" class... To do what you suggest is called a DO OVER....

YMMV

Yes, you can file the from K1 then K3. Just more paperworks but one fee for both if your the sponsors. I went to applied for K-1 because I married my wife in hte Philippines but then 2 weeks later I applied for K3. Wish of luck! Its not an upgade by the way you just have to file 2 different forms.

Edited by Carlos and Jocel

Honey Bun and Sweet Bun Forevermore

Timeline
Yes, you can file the from K1 then K3. Just more paperworks but one fee for both if your the sponsors. I went to applied for K-1 because I married my wife in hte Philippines but then 2 weeks later I applied for K3. Wish of luck! Its not an upgade by the way you just have to file 2 different forms.

It's more paperwork and more fees. You lose the I-129F fee you paid initially and then pay the I-130 fee to petition for the CR1 visa. If you wish to take the K3 path you file another I-129F (for the spouse this time) but there is no third fee for what would be your third petition.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

No such thing as an "upgrade"... It is not like going from "economy" to "business" or "first" class... To do what you suggest is called a DO OVER....

:lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

:lol:

I like the analogy. It's like you got on a flight from New York to San Francisco but the meeting ended up being in LA. In this case you don't just fly from SFO to LAX. You go back to JFK and take a new flight JFK to LAX.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.