~~~water~~~

how do you deal with death - when it seems so unfair

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

To the original poster, I'm very sorry about your friend. Maybe if you know about her background, ask some people, if she's foreign, what they do in her culture, when someone passes away? And yes, offer to help with the baby. Perhaps drop off some food/groceries. Check in from time to time (as much as your schedule will allow).

Hangininthere, I am appalled that no one helped you! It's strange! Usually the religion/culture, whatever, everyone brings food every single day. People come, wash dishes, do laundry, and make sure that everything gets done so the person that is grieving won't have to worry about it. They also buy groceries, from toilet paper, to a gallon of milk. They offer to pick up the kids from school if there are kids in the family. I remember when my grandfather died, that this went on for several weeks.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Water, I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend. (F)

Kat and Staashi, these are such good, practical suggestions and well worth saving. A man I once knew always took disposable dinnerware to grieving families. He said people tended to bring a lot of food, but then there were more dishes than usual to be washed, with family coming in from out of town and so forth. So meals in disposable containers instead of containers to be washed and returned, and disposable dinnerware, maybe an extra box of trash bags, cuts back on some of the housework burden as well.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Other Timeline

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and her father in law..

I am sorry for the people that stay behind to endure there loss.. :crying:(F)

May God Bless them and grant them peace and mercy through this tough time

Met husband July 2005

Married August 2006

Interview for CR-1 Scheduled for December 2007

Administrative Process

Husband was instructed to send passport, new medical, police certificate 02-08-09

VISA IN HAND Feb. 19, 2009 * AP lasted 1 year and 51 days*

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
A few years ago, I lost my mother (I was 16) and it was an unnatural death.

My father went through a horrible period of time grieving for her, and never seemed to really care what we felt as the children. It was always him crying, him saying that he didn't see a point in living anymore, him not caring about life... he was forced to go and get a new job to support everything because he lost the welfare that my mother brought in. I never realised at the time that he was being incredibly selfish to not think of us.. he even told me that my whole life had been ruined by what had happened, even when I tried to grieve and stay positive.

Anyways, the only thing that helped him was practical help, as someone mentioned. It never helped him emotionally, but he was in such a state of shock that he couldn't listen to any information that people were telling him, and he lost all concentration and memory too. He had friends come over to do the grocery shopping for instance, another to go and arrange the funeral with him, another to sort out the financial effects... he said that looking back, he never would have been able to do anything without that practical help, not only because he didn't care at the time, but because he couldn't take everything in.

That was five years ago, and he has moved on a lot. He still grieves for her, but it's different.

I hope you and especially your friend finds peace.

That must have been so hard for you to go through at 16. My father did the same when my mother died. He didn't want to live either. He died 4 months later. He had other health problems, but it does seem he died from heart break. His emotions were selfish, but I understand completely. Sometimes we just can't be strong, I hope you have forgiven him for this.

There have been some really good recommendations here. I will certainly remember the disposible plates idea.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Both parents in a few months, that must have been really hard for you.

I don't hold too much anger about it, really.. I went for counselling for a long time and I remember her being shocked at his behaviour, and me telling her that I wasn't angry because I understood how hard it must be suddenly losing your spouse. It's easy for me to say that he was being selfish and I do think that he was, but I know that if anything happened to my fiance, I would completely lose it, it's my worst nightmare (I have no children). I'm just thankful that my father and I managed to come out the other end, we talk every week so it hasn't hurt our relationship.

Edited by Gemmie

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
Both parents in a few months, that must have been really hard for you.

I don't hold too much anger about it, really.. I went for counselling for a long time and I remember her being shocked at his behaviour, and me telling her that I wasn't angry because I understood how hard it must be suddenly losing your spouse. It's easy for me to say that he was being selfish and I do think that he was, but I know that if anything happened to my fiance, I would completely lose it, it's my worst nightmare (I have no children). I'm just thankful that my father and I managed to come out the other end, we talk every week so it hasn't hurt our relationship.

Gemmie and M4E, so sorry for your loss. My dad died after 34 years, 11 months of marriage to my mother. They were so happy that when he died, she gradually became ill until we discovered she had cerebral lupus, brought on by the tragedy of losing my father. There were many times when the doctors believed she would die...and I think she wished she could, too. She was hospitalized for months, had to go through speech, physical and occupational therapy. Over time, she learned how to live and function again, and today, miraculously, the drs told her on her birthday last week that the lupus has completely disappeared from her body. She'll still have to take one medication for the rest of her life, but she is back and in great form.

I know she misses my dad still, and I love that she still has their pictures around her apartment. But, what I am so glad for is that she found other reasons for living - my sister and me, and her grandchildren. Life after death can happen, but I do also know that heartache can kill you.

Edited by Staashi

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Aw Water, I am so sorry to hear about your friend and her FIL. Its gotta be so hard for that poor man, the loss he suffered that day. And then there is a new baby that will have no mother figure for now. Offer your services to him also to help him with the baby. He may need it! My heart and prayers go out to him.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Sorry for ur loss Water (F) ; this is so hard to comprehend!! im speechless and im remindning myself of how life is not worth all the hate n the bickering . No one can explain this or any death....I pray to God to support them n give them strength to handle this crisis and reward them for their patience. Kat gave great advice;.....i hope u feel better sweetie.

lyrics.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks you everyone for the replies , I have goteen a lot of good ideas on things I can do .... Much love

water

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

(F)

for your co-worker, her husband, child and family

also for your existing co-workers....may god's love and healing hands embrace all of you in this difficult time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.