Delete Me

Changing middle and last name after marraige

29 posts in this topic

automatically her single last name will be her middle name now.... so, she can use it in any legal purpose especially in the AOS application. im not saying that u r in the AOS. i am saying u can use it ESPECIALLY in the AOS application. in the SSN application, the others have problems using their full married name. they are still using their single name. do u understand now? i am just giving u a hint.

Ok, so going to the SS office is the beginning of changing the name.

Thanks

I don't mean to throw a wrench into the subject, but my wife did what yours wants to do; make her maiden name her middle name. We were able to do this at the SS office. However, once we went to USCIS for our AOS interview they approved her to only have her green card with her first name and my last name (no middle name). Our interviewer said something about not letting her keep her maiden name as her middle name and that she could only legally change it after (and if) she chose to become a US Citizen.

It sounded strange, but we really didn't care since my wife was approved. So now when my wife gets her green card, she will need to go to SS and change her name to the green card given name. The same will apply for her drivers license and any other thing she lists her name in the US.

Our Story so far...

K-1

7/26/07- I-129F sent to CSC

8/02/07- NOA 1

12/13/07- NOA 2

2/12/08- Interview in Rio- APPROVED!

2/15/08- Visa Received

2/18/08- US Entry

2/20/08- Wedding Day

AOS

3/04/08- AOS, EAD and AP mailed

4/07/08- RFE

4/11/08- AOS, EAD and AP re-mailed

4/18/08- NOA's received

5/06/08- Biometrics Appt

6/14/08- AP approved

6/17/08- EAD approved

11/07/08- Greencard Approved!

11/22/08- Greencard Received

Gabriel was born on January 12, 2010!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
automatically her single last name will be her middle name now.... so, she can use it in any legal purpose especially in the AOS application. im not saying that u r in the AOS. i am saying u can use it ESPECIALLY in the AOS application. in the SSN application, the others have problems using their full married name. they are still using their single name. do u understand now? i am just giving u a hint.

Thanks

I don't mean to throw a wrench into the subject, but my wife did what yours wants to do; make her maiden name her middle name. We were able to do this at the SS office. However, once we went to USCIS for our AOS interview they approved her to only have her green card with her first name and my last name (no middle name). Our interviewer said something about not letting her keep her maiden name as her middle name and that she could only legally change it after (and if) she chose to become a US Citizen.

It sounded strange, but we really didn't care since my wife was approved. So now when my wife gets her green card, she will need to go to SS and change her name to the green card given name. The same will apply for her drivers license and any other thing she lists her name in the US.

My wife did this..

Changed the spelling of her first name, adopted her maiden name as her middle name, changed her last name to match mine... We have a greencard (approved without interview) to prove it....

YMMV

Yes, I believe you, payxibka. I also would not be surprised if others who went through the interview got the middle names that they wanted.

I thought it was a little strange that our interviewing officer did this. Fortunately, my wife was not so bummed out about the situation. We were happy about the approval and went on our marry way :)

Edited by Dias Melhores

Our Story so far...

K-1

8/02/07- NOA 1

12/13/07- NOA 2

2/15/08- Visa Received

2/18/08- US Entry

2/20/08- Wedding Day

AOS

4/07/08- RFE

4/18/08- NOA's received

5/06/08- Biometrics Appt

6/14/08- AP approved

6/17/08- EAD approved

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks

Was the AOS filled out in her new married last name and with maiden name as her middle name? Was her passport amended? all this before the AOS interview? It really sounds strange because I have known many Filipina her with the maiden name as the middle name.

Keith

Edited by Buksol

Began chatting June 2006

Flight to Cebu Jan 2008

Engaged Jan, 2008

Sent I 129F Feb 14, 2008

NOA #1 received Feb 20, 2008

NOA #2 July 23, 2008

NOA #2 hard copy received Jul 30, 2008

I-129F received at NVC July 31, 2008

NVC letter received Aug 04, 2008

Called Call center papers are there Aug 12, 2008

Medical August 21-22, 2008

*Approved* Sept 02, 2008

*Visa received September 13, 2008*

Fiancee ARRIVED SEPTEMBER 19, 2008

Married Nov 19, 2008

Thanks

Was the AOS filled out in her new married last name and with maiden name as her middle name? Was her passport amended? all this before the AOS interview? It really sounds strange because I have known many Filipina her with the maiden name as the middle name.

Keith

My wife's AOS application was filled out in her new name that she wanted. Her passport was NOT amended.

Our Story so far...

K-1

8/02/07- NOA 1

12/13/07- NOA 2

2/15/08- Visa Received

2/18/08- US Entry

2/20/08- Wedding Day

AOS

4/07/08- RFE

4/18/08- NOA's received

5/06/08- Biometrics Appt

6/14/08- AP approved

6/17/08- EAD approved

Hi..I'm from Wisconsin too and I already submitted AOS application. What I use in my application is that, I used my married name. I did not use my maiden name anymore, but instead I used my middle name. I hope I will not have any problem with that. This is what my name looks like. Tell me guys if i will be having problems in the future with regards to the name I used.

Example:

Maiden name: Angelica Marie Perez

AOS application used name: Angelica Marie Smith

What I did is that I did not use anymore my maiden name but I still used my middle name which is Marie. Will I be having problem about it too? Also when I applied for SSN, it's my AOS application name I used...

--AOS TIMELINE--

09.26.08 *** Send out package @ Chicago Lockbox

10.06.08 *** Received from mail NOA of AOS, AP, EAD dated 9.30.06

10.29.08 *** Done with Biometrics

10.29.08 *** I-485 & I-765 case visible online

10.29.08 *** I-485 Case transferred to CSC

10.30.08 *** I-485 & I-765 touched!!!

11.01.08 *** Received mail - case was transferred to CSC

11.05.08 *** Touched! Case received @ CSC office

11.06.08 *** Touched! Case is pending....(waiting continues.......)

12.04.08 *** I-765 Card production ordered & I-131 Approved

12.09.08 *** got AP in the mail

12.13.08 *** got EAD in the mail...finally!!!

*-* HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE *-*

Thanks

I am in Wisconsin and when I went to change my name on my SSN after I was married, this is exactly what I was told too. Although my situation is a little different. I took my husband's last name after we got married and I no longer use my maiden name. However, in Holland it is normal for parents to give their children an official first and middle name and then a name by which the child is to be called. So my first name (the name that everybody calls me ever since I was born) is not my official name and thus is not in my passport or any other official documents. This is causing a lot of confusion here in the US. I always have to explain that that is not my official name but it is the name I go by. So when I did the name change, I wanted to change my unofficial first name into my official first name. Then I would hyphenate my official first and middle names to turn those into one name and make that my official middle name. But I was told that that wasn't possible and I would have to do a legal name change after I become a US citizen. Maybe for your situation it would be different, but that's what I was told.

Thanks

I am in Wisconsin and when I went to change my name on my SSN after I was married, this is exactly what I was told too. Although my situation is a little different. I took my husband's last name after we got married and I no longer use my maiden name. However, in Holland it is normal for parents to give their children an official first and middle name and then a name by which the child is to be called. So my first name (the name that everybody calls me ever since I was born) is not my official name and thus is not in my passport or any other official documents. This is causing a lot of confusion here in the US. I always have to explain that that is not my official name but it is the name I go by. So when I did the name change, I wanted to change my unofficial first name into my official first name. Then I would hyphenate my official first and middle names to turn those into one name and make that my official middle name. But I was told that that wasn't possible and I would have to do a legal name change after I become a US citizen. Maybe for your situation it would be different, but that's what I was told.

Yes, you were put in the same type of situation that my wife was. Unfortunately, your situation is more complicated as a result of your unofficial name. What a pain... :(

Our Story so far...

K-1

8/02/07- NOA 1

12/13/07- NOA 2

2/15/08- Visa Received

2/18/08- US Entry

2/20/08- Wedding Day

AOS

4/07/08- RFE

4/18/08- NOA's received

5/06/08- Biometrics Appt

6/14/08- AP approved

6/17/08- EAD approved

Hi..I'm from Wisconsin too and I already submitted AOS application. What I use in my application is that, I used my married name. I did not use my maiden name anymore, but instead I used my middle name. I hope I will not have any problem with that. This is what my name looks like. Tell me guys if i will be having problems in the future with regards to the name I used.

Example:

What I did is that I did not use anymore my maiden name but I still used my middle name which is Marie. Will I be having problem about it too? Also when I applied for SSN, it's my AOS application name I used...

You are correct in using your desired (married name) for your AOS application. It's when you are approved at your interview that you may be forced into changing it. Don't be too surprised if they make your name "Angelica Smith".

Good luck :thumbs:

Edited by Dias Melhores

Our Story so far...

K-1

8/02/07- NOA 1

12/13/07- NOA 2

2/15/08- Visa Received

2/18/08- US Entry

2/20/08- Wedding Day

AOS

4/07/08- RFE

4/18/08- NOA's received

5/06/08- Biometrics Appt

6/14/08- AP approved

6/17/08- EAD approved

Example:

You are correct in using your desired (married name) for your AOS application. It's when you are approved at your interview that you may be forced into changing it. Don't be too surprised if they make your name "Angelica Smith".

Good luck :thumbs:

Thanks! Yes, it won't be a problem for me if they I won't be using my middle name anymore but mostly here in the US they put their initials on their middle names. Anyway, thanks that it won't be a problem to me and that I'm using the correct desired (married name). Shocks! it's a lot confusing with the use of names... Thanks guys!

--AOS TIMELINE--

09.26.08 *** Send out package @ Chicago Lockbox

10.06.08 *** Received from mail NOA of AOS, AP, EAD dated 9.30.06

10.29.08 *** Done with Biometrics

10.29.08 *** I-485 & I-765 case visible online

10.29.08 *** I-485 Case transferred to CSC

10.30.08 *** I-485 & I-765 touched!!!

11.01.08 *** Received mail - case was transferred to CSC

11.05.08 *** Touched! Case received @ CSC office

11.06.08 *** Touched! Case is pending....(waiting continues.......)

12.04.08 *** I-765 Card production ordered & I-131 Approved

12.09.08 *** got AP in the mail

12.13.08 *** got EAD in the mail...finally!!!

*-* HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE *-*

Timeline

I been researching this topic and I've heard alot of different answers. I'm wondering if it's that the person who approves the AOS doesn't know it is allowed... I've been repeatedly told that the SS officers should know it's a common practice for Filipinos to move the maiden name to the middle name.

Like when we applied for the SSN the lady at the counter said my fiancee (at the time) need a EAD. SO I had to get her supervisor involved to correct this. The supervisor corrected the lady at the counter. So we got the SSN and now we have married.

I'm told to go to the SS office change her name to FIRST name, then Maiden name for middle, then my LAST name.

Do the AOS papers in that name and amend her passport. I was told the Philippine Embassy/Consulate will use her maiden name as her middle name on the passport as it is the custom. If anyone has a different experience please reply.

Edited by Buksol

Began chatting June 2006

Flight to Cebu Jan 2008

Engaged Jan, 2008

Sent I 129F Feb 14, 2008

NOA #2 July 23, 2008

*Approved* Sept 02, 2008

Married Nov 19, 2008

Thanks

Yes, you were put in the same type of situation that my wife was. Unfortunately, your situation is more complicated as a result of your unofficial name. What a pain... :(

Yep, it looks like I'll have to deal with the confusion for a while longer. If I had known this, it would've been easier just to use my official name from the time I entered the country. But now I can't do that anymore because I can't tell the people who know me to suddenly start calling me a different name. Well, I'll find some sort of solution eventually.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Buksol, this is how we handled the name change.

1. Got SSN in maiden name, soon after POE.

2. Got married in NYC. Her old passport shows no middle name and we wanted to add a middle name.

They told us that only last name can be changed for marriages in NYC.

So marriage cert shows her married name as her first name & my last name, with no middle name.

3. Applied for fresh Indian passport with the desired name. Since the passport office is familiar with your local customs this should be no problem.

4. Went back to SSA and showed them fresh passport and had them re-issue SSN in desired name.

(at this point we have 2 docs in the desired name: fresh passport & fresh SSN)

5. Filed for AOS using desired name (using fresh SSN card & fresh passport as supporting docs)

We are still waiting for approval, but I am sure that will work.

Hope this helps.

-RaRe

K-1 Visa
06/12/07 - Filed
06/15/07 - NOA1 (Receipt Date)
12/03/07 - NOA2 (Approval Date)
12/07/07 - NVC Received
12/10/07 - NVC Left
12/17/07 - Consulate Received
12/31/07 - Packet 3 Received
01/07/08 - Packet 3 Sent
01/10/08 - Packet 4 Received
03/05/08 - Interview (visa approved)
03/06/08 - Visa Arrived (by courier)
03/27/08 - US Entry
04/10/08 - Marriage

AOS
05/09/08 - Filed
05/16/08 - NOA1 (Receipt Date)
06/04/08 - Biometrics
06/24/08 - Transfer to CSC
10/21/08 - RFE for Medical Exam I-693
11/13/08 - Mailed fresh medical report
11/18/08 - Case processing resumed
12/04/08 - Card Production Ordered
12/04/08 - Welcome Notice
12/08/08 - Approval Notice

Remove Conditions
09/01/10 - Filed
09/07/10 - NOA1 (Receipt Date)
10/19/10 - Biometrics
12/10/10 - Card Production Ordered

Naturalization

04/29/15 - Filed

05/09/15 - NOA

05/27/15 - Biometrics

08/27/15 - Interview

09/22/15 - Oath Taking

Timeline

This is the reply I got from the Philippine Consulate in Chicago.

Under existing Philippine regulaitons, considering that your wife is still a Filipino citizen her surname when she was still single becomes her middle name and your surname now that she is married becomes her last name.

Re. SS please contact the SS office.The Consulate has no jurisdiction over this matter.

Thank you.

Began chatting June 2006

Flight to Cebu Jan 2008

Engaged Jan, 2008

Sent I 129F Feb 14, 2008

NOA #2 July 23, 2008

*Approved* Sept 02, 2008

Married Nov 19, 2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.